z

Young Writers Society

Shadowed Tracks Chapter 3 (Burnt Orange and Deep Purple)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:14 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

It was late evening when we landed, and a wonderful burnt orange blanket smothered the sky, with deep purple streaks slicing through it. The sensational scene was completed with the beautiful snow, a second layer to the tarmac. Such a sight would make even a Necromancer feel warm inside.
As we stepped out onto the runway I felt the soft snow crush beneath my feet. The sheer cold made my breath steam as it entered the air, and my nose turned red as Amica’s jacket.
“Beautiful, isn’t it?” she whispered to me. “It makes me want to... I don’t know...” It was obvious to me that this scene moved her, and I guess it made me feel weird too. Such sights made me rethink about life as a Mortal, and maybe it wasn’t that bad, but I was born as a Kinetic and I’ll stay that way for the rest of my life.
“Not as beautiful as you though,” I flirted back, after all I needed to apologize for my behaviour on the plane, but I’m not one to just say ‘sorry’ and I guess that is a bit of a bad thing. “Perhaps the Mortal world isn’t as dull as we think” I said, with a look of true thought.
“Maybe not” I saw the look on her face change, ever so slightly. She hated people using that word; ‘Mortal’, she said that it’s just the same as racism. “But the world wouldn’t be very fun without you” she said as she gripped my hand. I smiled.
We had a lot of fun navigating the airport, but Amica was spending most of her time gaining understanding of the German language and culture.

We unloaded our things into the house that the Bureau had sorted for us, and then started with the cooking. As Amica prepared the vegetables for a Bolognese, I took a look around to observe our home for the next... well however long it took for Umbrim to flee. It smelled of... experience. It wasn’t brand new, around sixty years old if I could take a guess, but it was still in nice condition. The walls were a slightly dark cream, probably from the light deprivation; there wasn’t much light coming into the house. The living room had a nice tan carpet, and the television was a moderate size... not as if I could actually watch it. The dining table was a smooth oak, and my hand felt old just touching it. The garden was fairly large, and there were brick walls on each side, but a deep brown wooden fence spanned the rear. I couldn’t tell if there was grass covering the lawn, as the fourteen inches of snow had dominated the ground.

“Dinner’s ready!” I heard Amica call. I left our ice-skates by the back door for later, I had a little surprise for her. I sat down at the old table and looked down into the masterpiece that Amica had created. I always joked that she belonged in the kitchen, but she is an amazing chef. The delightful aroma of tomato, garlic and mincemeat floated into my nose, and the delicate design of spaghetti and sauce was a feast for, not only for the stomach, but for the eyes. “Bon appetite!” she said, “Wait... Nein! Guten essen!”

“Thank you very much darling,” I laughed “this is going to warm me up”. I dug into my meal. “D’you fanshy ashuprishe?”

“Finish your mouthful honey” Amica giggled.

I swallowed, and then repeated myself. “Do you fancy a surprise? After dinner I mean”

“Like...”

“You’ll find out”

“You know I hate surprises...”

“Hey! No mind reading! We agreed!”

“Fine” she sighed.
Once we finished Amica and I finished the washing up and put the leftovers in the freezer. “So, this surprise” she said “Am I going to like it?” she smiled. I could tell what she was thinking.

“Not quite what I had on my mind...” Amica frowned at me. “Not what I had on my mind right now” I rephrased; I always have that on my mind.
I led her to the door, with her eyes closed, that way she couldn’t focus on me and read my thoughts. I sat her down on a chair and slid off her shoes. “What are you doing?” she giggled.

“Hold on a sec...” I slid on her skates. “Wait a second” I repeated, as I put on my own. I treaded carefully to the door and opened it, and then took Amica’s hand. She was wearing a red jumper and pink scarf, and I was wearing a blue jacket.

“It’s a bit slippery” she said, as we walked out on the patio. I closed the door and removed her hands from her eyes and placed them on the door handle. I smiled at her, and then looked out onto the lawn. I closed my eyes and surged energy through me, the power growing larger and larger. I opened my eyes, and I was well aware they had diluted greatly, and then focused on the bed of snow. I felt the energy leave my body and the snow made a crunching sound until it became as clear as glass. I took Amica’s hand and lead her onto the compact ice and began to skate with her.

“Wonderful,” Amica smiled, blushing “I’ve never seen you do this one before”.

“I guess I’m full of surprises!” I laughed.

“Don’t kid yourself!” she joked back. Most people would have been bored in the first few minutes, but Amica and I spent at least two hours, hand in hand, eye to eye. It was a beautiful start... to something so horrible.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights