z

Young Writers Society

Wonderland Rift - The Lost Years

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 pm
Alvarin says...

A lot of stuff happened between WR1 and WR2. This is were we get to deepen ourselves in those years, to learn more about our characters and.. Well, you know.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 am
View Likes
veeren says...

Spoiler! :
Name: Lord Lordshire
Based on what character?: Knave of Hearts
Alliance: Thrones
Rank: Master, Ruler, and Supreme Overlord of the Thrones and Wonderland

Appearance: A beautifully sculpted angel of a man Lord's still scrawny as a stick, still pale as snow, and his eyes are still black as coal. He does, however, have a newly found confident swagger about him. He goes around as the confident man that every kid should look up to. He practically gleams hope into the youth. His blazer jacket also has the word 'Lordie' written in fancy letters at the back.

Personality: Lordie is very cocky. Being the king has made him very confident in everything he does and he has the strong sense of him being right and everyone who disagrees with him being wrong. Very few people do know how kind he really is, but he will rarely show it even to his closest of friends.

As for his strengths, he is extremely cunning and witty, and most likely one of the greatest strategists ever. When it comes to a battle of the mind, it is very hard to beat him. His weakness comes as a result of that, he is very cocky. He is stubborn and will rarely heed the advice given to him by others.

Weapon(s): His diamond staff with a sculpture of his head on the top and his witty sense of humor.
Ability: He's still pretty strong and quite fast, but he's picked up a little trick along the way. He can teleport. He can move up to 20 feet at a time, and can teleport in rapid succession, but it takes a toll on him. After two teleports, he starts to sweat, after three, he gets winded, and after four, he feels faint. He's never tried more than that because he's lazy, er, busy.
Up for Love?: YES He's married.
Other: I could go on for days about how amazing he is.

This was the life. Sitting in the bar, dubbed after myself of course, and sipping on my personal concoction, the Lordie Express. A couple of these and your head would be nice for the rest of the week. Unfortunately, I'd had a bit more than a couple and could barely see past the counter I was sitting in front of.

"You," I called, pointing in the general direction of one of my guards, "What time is it?"

"Almost midnight, sir."

"Thank you so much Marry."

"It's Mackzies, sir."

"Don't back talk me, sonny, I'll get a, I'll- get me a drink already," I turned to the bartender, "Pass another round, will you dear?"

She muttered something that sounded like are you sure and I scoffed.

"Am I su- of course I'm sure. Do I look like I'm not, you know, sure? I'm, I'm completely sure."

"Alright," it was a female, "Here."

"What?"

"Your drink, it's done."

"What are you dribbling ab-" There was a full glass in front of me, "How did you do that?"

"Do what? Make your drink?"

I examined her, she didn't look half bad through all the clouds, "I like you, you're funny."

I think she smiled.

"Hey, I'm Lord Lordieshire, King of Wonderland," I stretched my hand across the table, "What's your name?"
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

~Reggy

I caught the glare of the guard, smiling at him just seductively enough to be sure he won't look away.

Letting a thin dark haired girl pass through the front door and take the documents from his supervisor's table, observing as a tall figure in black stabbed two of his colleges as they passed by.. I pulled myself out of his mind, taking the memories with me. Nothing but a night spent with a random girl you've never met. Nothing but mysterious theft, and bodies you'll probably get blamed for yourself.

I turned my back to him, waving over my shoulder, and sighed as I turned the corner, taking the papers out of the pocket of my coat.

"As smoothly as always?"

I turned to my friend as he stepped out of the shadows and joined me. "Like you don't already know, Erillian." I handed him the papers, and we both grinned. "They are so easy to manipulate. Did you have to kill the other two, though?"

"They do bad things, Reg," he replied, shrugging. A spider crept up his sleeve.

"You know I can't alter memories which don't feature me," I hissed in low voice. "It's dangerous."

"Dangerous is half the fun," he gave a mischievous look, and I found it hard to keep serious. "That's why I make sure I'm not recognised, though. Don't worry, we're fine."

"Sure we are." I turned to him as we got to the back exit of the tavern I worked in. "Lordie's Joint." It used to be called simply "the Tavern", but this new king seems to be eager to put his mark on everything. "It is us we're talking about." He smirked. "Would you come in?"

He glanced inside as I opened the door. Do come in, Erillian. It gets so boring when I don't have a friend around. I kept silent, and he shook his head. "I should get this papers to a safer place and get a proper look at them," he said, and then met my eyes and smiled again. "That girl you work with, Doris, is taking way more from tips than she should. Tell me you'll use that to get yourself her job already and get away from this these night shifts, would you?"

"I like night shifts." He gave me a somewhat annoyed look, and I could practically tell what he was thinking. Wonderland City, or the part of it in which the tavern was situated, wasn't exactly the best place for a girl to find herself in the middle of the night. "Alright, I will. I could use a promotion anyway."

"Good. Then go and get yourself one."

I slammed the glass on the bar as the door opened again. We were unusually crowded for the hour anyway, and Doris, the supervisor of the day shift, has decided to stick around and play a queen over us. I exchanged a long, tired look with Mina, the waitress. She took the hint, putting a cloth aside to serve the customer.

"Reggy," she called a moment later. I ignored her. "Reggy. Reggy."

I turned. "What?" I followed her glare, finding a man surrounded by five guards standing in the doorway. It didn't take a genius to know who it was. "Well, s*it. Customer is a customer." Though I doubt we can hope to get a tip. "Go ask him what he wants."

She squirmed. "But Reggy..." She looked up at me, pleadingly, and I sighed. She was a girl, about three years younger than myself, barely seventeen. I could understand why she was terrified - but on the other hand, I had a reason to hate every breathing royal, especially one who obviously saw himself as the center of the world. You know you shouldn't be hating this King, though.. I mutter something about her taking care of the glasses below my breath, and crept to my place behind the bar with a big smile.

"Good evening, Your Majesty." I hope you're not expecting me to bow. "What can I offer you?"

"A Lordie Express." Holy c***, he has a drink named after himself. "Make it a double."

"Coming up.." I turned, mixed the drinks and put them in front of him, raising my eyebrows at the speed he drank them at. I automatically made another one as he finished his second, shooting a warning glare across the room to Mina and Doris gossiping a tad too loudly. I could see the looks they were giving me - I could see the looks the guards were giving me as well, and I began to feel what Erillian's frustration must've been like. I almost snapped at them to keep their eyes on their king and not myself and the other girls; I offered them a drink instead. Luckily, they declined - having the guards getting drunk couldn't have ended well. Their king, on the other hand..

"Pass another round, will you dear?"

Do call me "dear" once again. I might slap you regardless of your title. "You sure, sir?"

"Am I su- of course I'm sure." He seemed to ne having troubles to determine small details about me - like gender. I almost laughed. Brightness of this country's future is blinding me already. "Do I look like I'm not, you know, sure?" You look drunk as hell. "I'm, I'm completely sure."

"Alright." I turned around, rolling my eyes, poured another drink and put it in front of him, trying not to think of the manager's face as he figures we lost him a fortune on not asking the king for money. "Here."

"What?"

"Your drink," I elaborated, pointing my finger at it. "it's done."

"What are you dribbling ab-" he glared at the glass in front of him, "How did you do that?"

"Do what? Make your drink?" Lucky you to have five guards to get you back home. I wonder how long this reign will last.

he stared at me, with his eyes narrowed. I was fairly sure I knew what was going through his mind, taking my time to skim through his memories as he seemed to be memorising every inch of my appearance. "I like you, you're funny."

I caught Doris's glare again and made myself smile. Do dare to take this in direction it sounds like you're taking it, and I might leave Wonderland kingless again.

"Hey, I'm Lord Lordshire, King of Wonderland," he said. No s*it. He reached over the bar with his hand. "What's your name?"

Like you care anyway. I took his hand. "Regina."

"Suits you," he said.

"If you're fond of irony," I countered. One of the guards tapped his shoulder, and muttered something aboutbeing late. He got up, catching the egde of the bar, as, I imagined, the room spinned around him. I shook my head. "You should spend the rest of the night here."

He sat back down. "Sounds good. You could get me another--"

"No," I cut, ignoring Doris's and Mina's jaws dropping and the guards' eyebrows raising. "In a room above, sleeping." I looked at the guards. "You should be telling him this."

"We are personal guard, miss," one of them said. "You have no business questioning your King's decisions."

"I could've poisoned each of these drinks," I replied dryly, but then stepped back as one of them draw a sword. I should just make them all forget I ever said that. The King got up again.

"Room sounds good," he declared out of the blue, seeming to be completely untouched by anything that's just been said and done. One of the guards stepped closer to him.

"Are you sure you shouldn't get back to the castle?"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes again. "Don't you think his reputation might be of importance?" I asked, and the guard frowned. Mr Lordshire's lips, however, stretched into a smile.

"Pretty and smart, is there more of those?"

Oh, come on. "One and only, sir." I walked around the bar, fetching one of the keys of the rooms on the first floor, and lead the way upstairs, wondering if he'd do anything. I've dealt with men - and women - trying to get me to do all kinds of different things.. but I couldn't have gotten exiled or sentenced to death for refusing them or kicking them out. What will you do now, Reggy, tell him to f*** off and then hope Erillian will rush to save you out of no where?

I saw him to a room, feeling less confident as I left all the other people downstairs. I could've made him forget he's ever met me - but I wasn't strong enough to fight either of them if it came to that. Stop thinking like that. You just hate them all by default.

"Give us some privacy," the King grinned at the one guard who came into the room with us, and I licked my lips. Please just fall asleep. He set on the edge of the bed. He tapped the space next to him and I relucantly sat down. "You look young."

"I'm twenty."

"I was twenty once." Couldn't care less. Go to sleep. "I wasn't a king then, though.." He glared at some spot for a few seconds, and then rested his arm around my shoulders. "I'm the king now."

Get your hands off me. "I know."

He seemed almost sad for a moment. Don't start crying or something. "I'm pretty good at it, you know."

"You can't be worse than the previous ones," I answered carefully, and he seemed all cheerful again.

"You get me. I like you. You should marry me."

I laughed. "Sure I should."

He finally did take his hand off me. "Why not?" he asked, and I bit my lip, knowing I'm entering some dangerous waters again. "You're pretty enough."

I think you might find me too smart eventually, if you want me to be honest. "I'm not a royal."

"You make fabulous drinks." He grinned, and lied back to the bed. "This room is great. It's spinning."

I got up, and couldn't help but smile. "You should sleep now, sir."

I made my way to the door, as he called after me again. "Wait. Reggy..was it?" Close enough. "You didn't answer me."

I froze. "Answer you what?"

"My offer." He sat up again. "I called you pretty and smart. You should marry me."

I shook my head again. Oh, dear.. "Sure," I said, turning to him again. If I make you feel like an idiot, you might decide to actually pay for all the drinks you had. "I'll marry you. Gladly." "Regina Lordshire" actually does have a nice ring to it. I resisted laughing again. What all I won't hear working in this place.. "Now go to sleep."

"I'll think of rings."

"Great." I met the guards' eyes as I opened the door. "Make sure he doesn't jump off from the window or something," I said.

"Is he that drunk?" One of the guards muttered, and I closed the door with a grin, turning my back to them to go back downstairs.

"You can bet he is. He just asked me to marry him."
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

184 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire

This isn't the castle.

I sat up and tried looking around, but quickly stopped when my head began throbbing. It was still dark out, and I guess it hadn't been very long since I was knocked out. I rubbed my temple and shut my eyes. Goodness, what did I do last night?

I thought back, and remembered walking into the bar and having a few drinks. Then there was the bar lady, I was dizzy by then. I tried to go home but she brought me here. We talked for a bit and...

"WHAT!" I shouted.

A guard immediately flung the door open, "Are you alright sir?"

"Yes," I shook my head, "Yes I'm fine. And we'll be leaving soon."

"I'll inform the others." He saluted and shut the door, leaving me alone again.

I sighed, were you that drunk, Lordie? How are you going to get out of this now? I stood up and held on to the wall for support. Maybe I should just pray that she's gone. Or forgot. That would be even better. She wouldn't come hunting me down or slander my good name. I tried walking a few steps, but ended up stumbling and gabbing hold of the dresser next to me. And I must remember to invest in a cane of some sort.

With enough effort, I reached the door and greeted my guards. We set off down the stairs, my fingers crossed that there would be no one there and we could just be on our way unnoticed.

"Hail the king!" Someone shouted.

Just my luck.

We reached the bottom of the stairs to an almost packed bar and I raised my hands, "Thank you all. I'll be on my way soon, so you can all continue with your fun and games."

Despite my efforts not to, I glanced at the bar and to my misfortune, saw the bartender girl still there. I guess I sneak out and pretend I never saw her. No, that would be un-king like. I'll just go explain myself, she should understand.

I made my way to the counter and we made eye contact. It was the first time I got a real look at her, and she was younger than I thought. Her eyes were so lively and her skin almost flawless. Her hair looked just about as good as it could on her and she had a confident aura about that made me realize that she was way out my league.

"Hey, me again, and I think I owe you for some drinks and room. You just have to close your eyes and open your hand."

She raised an eyebrow and I smiled. After a sigh, she listened. With her palm waiting in front of me, I pulled out one of the many rings on my fingers and set it in the middle.

"You know where to find me if I'm not back soon," I said, finally making my exit from the building.
-Plato's Symposium

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:16 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Reggy

My head was hurting as I finally saw the glimpse of light of dawn through the tavern's windows. I sighed as the King walked down the stairs and everyone greeted him. I wonder if I can go unnoticed. He should just leave. Just leave. Just leave..

His eyes met mine as he looked my way. Well, great.

I watched as he approached, fully aware of Mina and Doris staring at me.

"Hey, me again," he said, observing me carefully again. "And I think I owe you for some drinks and room. You just have to close your eyes and open your hand."

I raised an eyebrow. You will actually pay for it? When he wasn't drunk and trying to flirt with me, I could even hear in his voice some hint of that famous way with words. He smiled, and I sighed. Well, when a king tells you to close your eyes and open your hand, Reg, you do it.

I felt the small object falling in my palm and frowned for a second before my eyes snapped open. I looked down, finding a golden ring in my hand. Small diamond studs made it shine under the candlelight - it was probably the most valuable thing I ever held in my hand, not counting the documents Erillian and I have been stealing.

"You know where to find me if I'm not back soon," he said. I looked back up at him, opening my mouth to answer, but he was already gone, followed by the guards who gave me new odd looks.

I stared at the door, as people stared at me. What the hell just even happened? I looked down at the ring again, in time to see a small spider creeping across my palm. With a frown, I clutched my hand, making sure not to squeeze hard enough to kill it, and looked around, lifting my eyebrow as

I spotted Erillian at the bar. He eyed my hand as I walked to him.

"Is there anything special I can offer you?" I asked, keeping serious. He kept looking at my hand. "I mean, you surely wouldn't be here just to spy on me, right?"

"And you surely wouldn't be making friends with the king, right?" he countered. "And let him go, will you?" He gestured at the spider I kept in my hand.

I glared at him flatly. "Why? I told you not to spy on me."

"I wasn't spying on you, I was keeping an eye on you. It's different. And it didn't hurt you - and he needs air, so let him go."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but let the spider crawl out. I couldn't help but glare at the ring again. Could he have been serious? I shove the thougts away. You're not a royal, Reg. And you can't really be as much of an idiot to fall for such tricks.

"You did say yes, you know." I looked up at Erillian as he spoke again, and frowned. "Last night."

"I wasn't serious," I replied flatly.

"Why not?"

"Why n-- because who the hell could be serious in my position?" I calmed my voice before it reached the point of yelling.

"He was quite nice."

"He was quite drunk," I cut. "What do you want me to say? That I can't wait to pick the wedding dress? I couldn't even afford the stupid wedding dress."

"That's not what I'm saying." He turned serious. "I'm saying that you seem to like him."

I hesitated. Well he didn't act the way his predecessor did.. "I like him more than I liked the previous king. That doesn't mean I like him."

He was silent for a while. "..what if he was serious?"

I looked at the ring again. Regina Lordshire. i shrugged. "Then you and I both will be royals, Erillian."

He frowned. "I wouldn't like that." I opened my mouth to reply, and he continued quickly, cutting me off. "Not because I wouldn't want you to have pretty dresses and live in a castle, but because you'd change."

You can't know that. "I wouldn't change."

"I've known you for years. I'm sorry, but trust me, it'd change you. Power changes people - I can tell."

Well go to hell. "Good to hear you have so much faith in me," I muttered. "I'd change. Of course I would. I'd have the power to actually do something. Change something. Make this city - this country - a better place."

"This king promised that as well. You know better than many how many things really are better." He shook his head. "It's your call, Reg." He got up. "But I consider you my friend, and I don't want a crown to change that."

Friends shouldn't even be assuming such things. "Don't worry," I hissed, putting the ring in one of my pockets and walking out, ignoring him. My shift had finished already anyway - I'd only stayed because I felt somewhat guilty for not asking any money from the King.

You stayed because you were curious, my inner voice remarked, as I turned away from the tavern and the busy street around me. Curious as to would he mention it again.. I frowned, walking around a bonfire someone built, as I remembered the flames rising over the house I was born in. What if it was serious? What if you could really change something? What if you could, for once, really have authority over something? I stopped, biting my lip as I realised where I was. The gates stood before me, guarded by two men, marking the entance to the castle grounds.

"He was joking," I muttered to myself. "And you're an idiot who will get herself executed."

Or he was serious. My own mind didn't let me leave. And you're a random girl who will get herself crowned as the Queen. I looked up at the gates. Everything could change. No one would ever expect you to bow to them again. No one would ever expect you to follow again. I approached the guards, and they gave me strange looks as I smiled at them.

"What do you want?"

"I came to see the King," I said, and struggled to keep the same smile up as he observed me.

"Did you now. We'll check that," he said, turning to walk inside.

"Tell him Reggy came to see him," I called after him, suppressing the desire to throw something at his head.

If he was serious, no one will mess with you again. If he wasn't, it won't matter anyway. I waited for him to return, the glare of the other guard keeping me from turning and running away - that would only make me seem suspicious, and I'd never be free to approach the castle again.

"Fine," he said as he returned, pulling me from my thoughts. "After me."

I folowed him inside, my arms crossed so I wouldn't automatically reach to touch the decorations on the walls. I couldn't help it - even as a child, I was fond of the way the castle looked, and I was still equally enchanted. Perhaps you do belong here. Or can convince him so, anyway. I smiled a bit at the thought. It wouldn't be the first nor the last time I'd manipulate a person into doing what I wanted. I've just never yet played in his league.

The doors to the well-known Throne Room opened before me, and he grinned as he saw me.

"Glad to see you've decided to accept my invitation," he said, waving the guards to leave us alone. I didn't bow, wondering if he'd expected me to do it.

"I don't like being played with," I said. He seemed surprised.

"Played with..?"

I walked over to him, taking the ring out again. "I'm not an idiot," I said, stopping in front of him. "I know men don't marry every random girl they flirt with after too many drinks. So what is it that you want?" I fixed my gaze on his. "I'm listening."

And you better explain it to me, whether you be serious or not. So I can choose if I'm going to make you care for me enough to do as I say..or make you forget we've ever even met.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

184 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 am
View Likes
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire

The doors opened and I watched her walk in. So she took the bait after all.

"Glad to see you've decided to accept my invitation," I said, waving the guards away.

"I don't like being played with," She said.

Oh? "Played with... ?"

She got closer and pulled the ring out, "I'm not an idiot, I know men don't marry every random girl they flirt with after too many drinks. So what is it that you want?" She fixed her gaze on me, "I'm listening."

There was something about the way she carried herself that made me believe she wasn't just any random girl. There was something special about her. "What I want, is a wife."

She blinked, "A wi- What I meant was, what's the catch?"

"Hm?" I pouted and thought about it, "The catch, the catch. Well you caught me, I don't have one."

"You can't be serious..."

"Why's that so hard to believe? I need a wife, and you need a way to be like royalty. It's a win-win."

She crossed her arms, "I never said I wanted to be royal."

"But you came here didn't you?"

"That doesn't me-"

"What I want to know it, what's your catch?"

"What makes you think I have one?"

"I'm not an idiot," I said, standing from the throne, "I know women don't question every king that asks for their hand in marriage. So what is it that you want?" I looked into her eyes, "I'm listening."

Spoiler! :
don't hate me cause it's short.
-Plato's Symposium

I'm officially making it my goal in life to become a roomba. I want to be little robot. I want knives taped to me. I want to be free.
— TheMulticoloredCyr