z

Young Writers Society

A few more genres maybe?

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:22 pm
Josheh says...

The piece I'm working on at the moment is going to be a Crime/Mystery but there aren't really any genres that suit it. I'm worried when I get around to posting my first chapter It'll end up being in the wrong section entirely. Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of an idiot, but the list of genres to post under may need a little revision...?

Whatever you guys think is necessary, really!

~ Josh

[NOTE: If the kind of fiction I'm needing a genre for can be posted in something like General Fiction then there's not really much to worry about then, but all I've seen in that category so far has been romance and school life...]
I've never visited the zoo; I just stay in my home if I want to see animals.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:01 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

First, welcome to YWS!

It's not unusual to have questions when you first join. I think you'll find that there are many people that are willing to help you here. Indeed, helping people (by providing reviews) is one of the main things we do here.

We don't have a crime/mystery section because not many of our authors have written them, or at least they haven't asked for a forum for them. You're the first in recent memory and that's not a bad thing. After critiquing fantasy quest stories for a long time, a mystery would be a breath of fresh air.

That said, we don't have a crime/mystery forum and we probably won't until there is more demand for it. Since none of the other genres fit, you can post it in the "General Fiction" forum. If you ever want your topic moved to another forum or if you have any other questions, just let me or another moderator know, and we'll move it for you. We have the dark green names.

Again, welcome to YWS!

-Grif
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Josheh says...

Okay, that seems fair enough! I'm actually quite shocked considering all the old classics which were crime and mystery based. I think I'll be just fine with General Fiction, thanks for your concern either way! But if anybody asks when the romance comes in, boy I-- XD

Thanks for all the help -

~ Josh

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm
Kale says...

Well, not everything on YWS is romance based. :P Some of us here actually give romance a wide berth, so don't stress about including/not including romance. ;P

If you happen to be writing a crime/mystery thriller, another option is to post your novel in the Action/Adventure section. Stories in there tend to be light on the romance anyway, so it'll be less likely you'll get questions about "Where's the romance?"
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Romance is just a subplot, albeit a common one. If it's straight romance, it goes in Romance. :P

And there has been some demand for mystery, but the supply for a full forum isn't big enough. So you're not alone in the mystery genre. (I write some myself, but mostly as an underscore for a fantasy setting.)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm
Josheh says...

Ah, nice - good to see I'm not alone on that then.

I was actually making a (fail) joke when I said about the romance and I've taken Action/Adventure into consideration but I'm not sure whether my novel would be too slow paced to be classed as an action or adventure, it has lots of it, no doubt about that; it just comes gradually I suppose...

Well, thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm a little more stable when it comes to putting a chapter into a category!

~ Josh

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:43 am
Alexrose says...

Look Josh, it should definatly be in the fantasy genre, I mean demons, heaven at the top of a buiding, hell underwater - then going into hell to replace a demon and bring the real guy into heaven. Fantasy. Case closed :D

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:32 pm
Kale says...

Alexrose wrote:Look Josh, it should definatly be in the fantasy genre, I mean demons, heaven at the top of a buiding, hell underwater - then going into hell to replace a demon and bring the real guy into heaven. Fantasy. Case closed :D

Supernatural, technically, but we don't have a forum for that either. In any case, works can belong to multiple genres, and if Josheh feels it belongs more in one genre than another (or doesn't belong in one), he's probably right seeing as how he knows the story better than we do. :P
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves