z

Young Writers Society

Formatting

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 pm
Idraax says...

When you format a story, how do you format it? People want me to format my novel-in-the-works all sorts of ways and since I write it in several places, when I format it here it gets messed up everywhere else. So how do I format it so that it doesn't get messed up everywhere else?
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 pm
View Likes
Tigersprite says...

Just select 'Story' beside Special Formatting when submitting a post. I think that should do it for you.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

100 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:37 pm
Idraax says...

Ok, but some people suggest it should be formatted differently. So, I do that , but it messes it up on my other places. :(
Alezrani

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

The way I format a story is simply hit enter between each paragraph and select "no formatting."

And it would help if you clarified what these "other places" were. ^^ We can only tell you how to format a story for YWS.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

100 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:44 am
Idraax says...

I have a version in MSWord 2007, one on Google docs and one on the online version of MSWord. I think I'll switch to open office, because the one on MSWords been kinda glitchy, and the one on Google docs and the online version of MSWord don't work well in Opera.
Alezrani

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 am
Kale says...

The reason why you're having trouble with the formatting is because you're using so many different programs, and each of them save information differently.

One thing you can try is to save your file in the Rich Text Format (.rtf). That format is pretty much universal, so anything you do to the formatting ought to stay consistent no matter what program you use to edit.

Also, if you have italics, bold, or different alignments in your story, when you want to post it on YWS, you have to go back and add them in manually using the BBS codes as the text editor is text-only.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

100 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:05 am
Idraax says...

I do that. How do I save in .rtf?
Alezrani

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 am
Kale says...

In Word:

File > Save As > filename.rtf

Alternatively, near the bottom of the Save As dialog box, there's a File Type dropdown menu. Rich Text Format (.rtf) will be listed there. Select it.

On Google Docs:

File > Download As > RTF
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

100 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:34 am
Idraax says...

Ok, thanks! :D
Alezrani

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet