z

Young Writers Society

Copyright protection? Do we have it?

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:35 pm
Gheala says...

Alright, so this is my very first post here. I haven't written anything, even though I have a lot of short stories and I'm writing a romantic thriller novel and that's due to one problem..
Do writers here have copyrights over what they post? If I post a chapter of my novel and it gets stolen, do I get any protection to my work (whether published or not?)

Fearing theft of writings is the reason why I haven't written things here and I really want to post a few things in here.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:05 pm
Kale says...

Yes. You have complete control over and retain all rights to whatever you post on this site, and should you ever want to remove your work, you can delete it at any time.

The site admin, Nate, has written an article on copyright which you can read here: Copyrights: What You Need to Know.

As far as protection goes, I'm not sure what you want/mean. In any case, if you are concerned about your writing being stolen, there are the options of setting your topics to members-only so that only registered members may view it, posting it in a private Club where only people you approve can see it, sending chapters to trusted individuals via PM, or various other ways of limiting who has access to your story.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:17 pm
Rosendorn says...

To continue what Kyllorac said about members-only topics: when you write a new post, there are a bunch of options at the bottom. One of which is "make topic member only."

Another thing you have to take into consideration when posting online is first publication rights, which publication companies are after. Nate has written this post about first publication rights and the Internet, which you might find useful.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 pm
Gheala says...

I read both articles and they were amazing. They both answered all the questions I had and even gave me some information I wasn't really wondering about. The best part was the automatic copyright of everything one writes.
Thanks a lot.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb