z

Young Writers Society

Classes.. Anyone?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:51 pm
thegirlandthepen says...

I was just talking it through with a few members and I asked if there were ever any 'classes' held here at YWS, to which they replied no. So I'm here to suggest it and get a general consensus of what you guys think.

Would anyone find it particularly useful, interesting or helpful. To have a schedule of a few classes on different aspects of writing? I know this has been done and rather successful on other writing sites, I stole a list from one of them. The list is as follows:

A Fools Guide to Humour
Beginning Your Novel
Dynamic Critiquing and Surviving it
Short story writing
Editing and Proofreading
From Story to Screenplay
Intro to Fantasy - The Fellowship Begins
How to make your Narrative Sing
Poetry?
Running an Effective Contest
The Writers Toolkit
Writing for children of all ages

I know getting the classes up and running is going to be a lot of work, but possibly in the future, it could be very beneficial to many YWS members here. And I'm not suggesting I'd make a good 'teacher' at all, I'm just curious as to hear your thoughts.

xo
"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut." - Stephen King.

EDDiE. :]

Want an honest review?
topic67916.html

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:27 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I've tried to run classes on YWS (on reviewing) and despite being successful they are a big pain to have. It takes a lot of work on the teacher's part and is a bit too much for YWsers, who have school and life in general to handle.

Also, it is important to remember all of YWS is a class! You can check out the groups about writing on YWS (Groups> Group Index> Writers and Writing), the Knowledge Base (click on Resources in the header), the Writer's Corner forum cluster (which is the middle cluster on the community board) and there's always just submitting your work for review!

From the list above, it's pretty safe to say YWS has the whole "Teaching writing" base covered. ;)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 pm
Day says...

In my opinion this is a good idea although it does pose some problems. As Rosey said most people have school and a lot going on in their lives.

My only question is whether this would be via video chat, video streaming, ventrillo voice channels, text, a group, or a message.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae