z

Young Writers Society

Master. Horrendous.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm
horrendous says...

Warrior. Goodbye fall. In me, Kirby's monster.

so yeah i like it when i mishear lyrics to really good songs, that one was a Nightwish track, the one that gave me the idea to use 'horrendous' as my username on every site i'm a member on.

i hate talking about myself because i feel very uninteresting, so i'll just cover what and why i write.

when i write, i try for maximum feels where it counts, especially when i write horror. if it doesn't make my stomach feel like a bottomless pit and send chills down my spine, i hit Delete and try again.

i really tried (and am still trying) to push this philosophy to the limit on my latest horror story, Eater of Dimensions. i wanted to create the most visceral experience possible for the reader and make them feel what i felt while writing it. unreality, trepidation, repugnance, and, of course horror.

even my action/adventure story, The Pact, has and is going to have lots more horror elements. i love making people go "holy sh*t, if that happened to me/if i saw that i would wet myself then die of fright." it takes a lot of demented imagery to make me feel that way, so i figure if i can scare myself, i can scare my readers.

that's not to say i'm a one-trick pony. Arthur's Showdown is a realistic narrative about a man reclaiming his life from a brutal loanshark, and the feedback i've gotten on that is just as good as on my more detached stories. i do want to try my hand at a large number of genres, though i feel that horror is my home.

onto another topic, my favorite author by a landslide is Stephen King. i'd like to think my idolatry of him shows through in my work, as his writing style has influenced my own very heavily. i try to get the same effect on my readers that he has on me. i don't actively think "what would King do" when i'm writing, but reading as much as i could of him over the years has left its mark on me. his mastery of the horror story inspires me to try my hand at scaring the pants off of people.

i'll also say that i have very low confidence in my own writing ability, so when people tell me they were "enthralled" by my story or that i'm "very good", it gives me a rush of great feels that i think i may be getting addicted to. i started out writing because i had this HUUUGE itch that only writing could scratch, and that's still the case, but now getting feedback is very important to my process as well. i often submit the first part of a story then neglect it until i get good feedback, and i won't write anymore of that story until that happens. goes back to my low confidence in my writing.

well i think i've covered all i'm willing to cover.
hor·ren·dous
adjective: shockingly dreadful; horrible
synonyms: appalling, frightful, hideous

--

Life is like a box of chocolates. Too much will make you sick.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm
Aley says...

Hi horrendous. It's nice to know that we have a horror story writer on the site. Sometimes it's fun to get goosebumps while you read. Personally I'm not much of a fan but I have heard something I want your opinion on. I'll paraphrase since I heard it in a conversation.

We cannot describe or show the most fearsome thing to other people because fear is personal, and that person's scariest object is going to be different from someone else's. The best way to crate suspense, therefor, is to detain showing the monster, if you show him at all, so that our imaginations can fill in the blanks.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson