z

Young Writers Society

Greetings and Salutations from the house Next to Sunnymuffin

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:29 am
Sabine says...

Hello all,

I am an (as of yet) unpublished teenage writer called Sabine. I am 17 and a jounior in highschool, though I am a homschooler, so I could prtty much call myself any grade I wanted and get away with it. One of my goals in life is to become a novelist of respectable standing. I find myself writing fiction in the fantasy and magicel realism genres more often than not, but I find it easier to write poetry than anything else. I'm also fond of the new form called drabbles that seems to have originated in fan fiction.

Fan fiction is a guilty pleasure of mine, there should be warnings about how habit forming it is. It's truly astounding how much time can be absorbed by reading internet fiction in general. I also love reading well written novels, my current favorite authors being Ann Prachett, Barbera Kingsolver and Jhumpa Lahiri. I like reading historical fiction but find the idea of doing enough research to write it believably more than a little over whelming.

I like listening to music while I write, especially while writing poetry. I find that it helps me stay with the same rhythm. My favorite music to write to includes Tracy Chapman, Loreena Mckennitt, classical and Loenard Cohen.

I'm always looking for resonses to my writing and suggestions about how I can improve it. While being a bit of a stickler about grammar, I have a tendancy to miss grammatical errors in my own work. Besides that, I have a tendancy towoard using far more words than necessary to convay a point. I hope this community will be a good resource for getting feedback and for seeing what my peers are working on. I am familiar with the dangers of laboring in a void. You can end up working on something that no one is really interested in or understands. But then again that may be a more symptom of the state of public education and the media. Human beings are capable of paying attention to and comprehending far more than the sound-bite, lowest common denominator material dolled out to the public at large. And I seem to have wandered a very long way from my topic. Sorry.

I really hope to make usefull connections here. From what I have seen so far of the posted works, I think there are some good writers here. :D

Most Sincerely,
Sabine

May the muses be with you
"magic is a flick of the wrist, a shaft of light in an empty room
it is the permanence of objects
in endings and transformations
and the flicker of movement, half seen
from the corner of your eye"

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:33 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

Don't worry about errors! The Surprise ... whatchamacalit group will look at your stuff sooner or later, and I'll be sure to check it out eventually (I want to read what everyone has written, but that's a lot).

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:32 pm
View Likes
Crysi says...

Are you talking about S.P.E.W.? Yeah, they'll get around to it.. eventually.. :roll:
Love and Light

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 pm
View Likes
Tara says...

Sunnymuffin? :twisted:
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

36 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 am
View Likes
Sabine says...

Sunnymuffin is the little old blue house that's on the property next to ours. it was owned by a woman who we politely call 'unique' and she hosted seminars for Evergreen State college there back when my parents were students there. we later bogutht the land next door to build our house there, and even though the little blue house is owned by someone else now my parents still call it Sunnymuffin. there's also a big peice of propty where a few horses (and I would assume, their owners as well) live, which is called Caliope, pronounced Cally-ope. I wanted to name our house as well, but i could never think of a name that really worked.

that was probably way more explanation than you wanted, but oh well. :D

36 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 am
View Likes
Sabine says...

what is S.P.E.W. ?

145 Reviews

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:52 am
View Likes
Tara says...

No one really knows. 8-[ Just keep your eyes open....
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:57 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Well, i know (note the siggy), but I'm nto at liberty to say. lol jk jk (check usergroup stuff if you really want to know) but it involves editing.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

145 Reviews

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:08 am
Tara says...

~*gets very curious about this 'S.P.E.W.', and goes to find Tae to explain it~*

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:16 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hey I'm not really even sure what it is. I think it's an EXCLUSIVE group of reviewers who have to critique people's work and do it well. It stands for Standard Propogation of Emerging Writers.

If you want to join a review group, I would suggest the Review Surprise group. It says it's open even though it's in the closed group section. They just review one port at random a week.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:07 pm
View Likes
Tessitore says...

Heil and well met, Sabina. I see you're using one of my avatars (which had me intriqued in you in the first place). Lovely, isn't it? It's work from a girl called Aurora Black Cat, and this is her site.

Anyway, sounds like you're a really awesome person. I myself am also in love with those musical artists you pointed and and, hey, I want to be a writer too. Imagine that. On a writing forum. A writer.

And it's very nice to meet a fellow homeschooler.

And now I will go henceforth into this site to track down your work and critique it... when I'm done with all the chores I'm supposed to be doing right now.

Toodles.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau