z

Young Writers Society

Meet DudeMcGuy

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:05 am
DudeMcGuy says...

Hello again YWS!

OK so a bit about myself. My name is Stan. I'm 25 a year old male. I live in California, but I'm originally from Washington state. My hobbies include Basketball, playing drums, and video games. I consider myself average at best at all three. And I admittedly play way too many video games. I own far too many to list here. I guess I fit the "nerdy" title, but I strive to be a well rounded person.

I like all kinds of Music EXCEPT: Rap, Hip-hop, pop, and Country. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I just don't like those genres. I consider Metallica to be the greatest band of all time. (just my opinion). I mostly listen to rock and I enjoy many current artists. (Breaking Benjamin, Bullet for my Valentine, Rise Against, and Rise to Remain; to name a few.) But I am of the opinion that Music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is far superior to today's popular music.

I am a "newbie" writer in every sense of the word. I don't even read/write as a hobby. But I have a really good idea for a novel/trilogy that I want to be good enough to write someday. I don't really care how long it takes as long as it gets done right.

Due to some stupid, stupid mistakes I made in high school, I ended up taking almost 6 years to graduate college. (I changed my major twice as well). But I feel that I'm a better person today by overcoming those obstacles.

I guess that's about it. I can't really think of anything else at the moment. I'm excited to have found this forum. It seems like a cool place to collaborate and improve.
Last edited by DudeMcGuy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 am
View Likes
Twit says...

Hi Stan! Welcome to YWS!

60s, 70s, 90s music... Do you have a problem with the 80s, lol? What kind of bands do you like from those decades?

If you want to write well, then I strongly suggest you take up reading as a hobby. You can't write if you don't read. :)

If you have any questions, you can PM or Wall me or anyone else in green.

See you around!

-twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:16 pm
DudeMcGuy says...

Haha Edited, (How could I forget the 80's!)

The bands of the past were just so much better in my opinion. I already mentioned Metallica from the late 80's/ early 90's, but there were other great groups like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix experience, Pink Floyd, Queen, Foreigner, and many others. Even the groups that didn't exactly "Rock" were great back then (Tears for Fears, Journey). I could go on and on. The only truly "Great" group playing today is the Foo Fighters in my opinion. Maybe Coldplay, but they don't always "Rock".

I also enjoy Classical, Jazz, and R&B. But once again the older stuff is much better.

The invention of auto-tune is killing music in my opinion. I like to joke that we live in the musical "Dark ages". The only advantage of being a music lover in the 2000's is that anything I want to listen to is just a few clicks away.

I had to read a lot in college, but it wasn't fiction. I had to write a lot too, but it was all reports and such. I have ordered a few books about writing from the Writing tips thread.

English was probably my least favorite class in High school (not exactly a good thing for an aspiring writer!). I enjoyed some of the stories, but the fact that I couldn't read at my own pace or draw my own conclusions from the story really turned me off to the subject very early. Also, if I didn't like a certain book . . . I was out of luck, because the whole class would be spending 2+ months on it. Grrr.

Anyway I think that was the answer to a question. Haha.
When I was young I used to have problems finishing my sentences, but now I

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:05 pm
Stori says...

Question. Do you know anything about hand drums?

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar