Young Writers Society

Let's go in zig-zags, shall we? =)

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:23 am
View Likes
ziggiefred says...

Hello, hello and hello!
Since I joined this site, I've never really formally introduced myself.

--My real name is Tshetsana...yeah, I'm pretty sure you've went over that a couple of times trying to pronounce it, but no worries. My friends call me Ziggie. I added the fred at the end because I'm insanely obsessed with Freddie Mercury from Queen.

---I'm 20 and I live in Botswana, Africa. Population, about 2million. If you don't know where that is, it's the country exactly north of South Africa. No one really knows about this country. Kim Kardashian came here once and said, "I went to this wonderful province in South Africa called Botswana." :? ...you see what I mean?

--I live and love music, especially rock. My music collection in this genre ranges from the late '60s to the present. My favourite band is Queen, full stop; even though my avatar is Jimmi Hendrix.

--I also have a passion for food. I've always wanted to be a chef, however, I'm 2 years into my biology major.

--I don't read much. I plan to change though...in the mean time, I'll just watch the movies.

--I've had the knack for writing since I was 8, which is when I wrote my first play. It then progressed into poetry and songs; now I mostly concentrate on novels and short stories. I've never really taken my writing seriously because, well, there is no life for writers in my country.

--I love African literature, especially from the '60s onwards. I like how there is always two meanings to most of the stories. This is because they mostly talk about politics and write satires; so they invent a surface meaning, but there is always two or more sides. A guessing game. I always try to do that when I write, even though I don't write about politics myself; I just wonder if other people catch it :wink: .

--Recently I won a local national writing competition in the novel category. This competition honours a legendary writer, Bessie Head. I won some money and publication. I think that's the best accomplishment I've ever had in my life.

--I love YWS so much. I think my writing has improved by a mile, ever since I joined. I think reviewing other people's work has been a huge help. It actually helps me because I learn from other people's mistakes and positives and add those to my writing...genius. We use each other!

You've just read about me in a nutshell. I can go on for England, so I'll stop here. I know this was long so thank you for stopping by. :mrgreen:
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

So you're taking Biology, even though you're wanting to be a chef? How does that work? I find it kind of amusing because my sister's planning on being a chef and I'm a Bio major. :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

556 Reviews

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:48 pm
ziggiefred says...

Hehe, that's so much a coincidence. Well, there are very few opportunities in my country so it's better to pursue a degree in culinary school with something to fall back on if it doesn't work out. Besides, the scholarship I got does not cover that kind of degree. So how far are you into your biology? Having fun?

482 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:11 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Ah, gotcha. Always a good idea to have a backup. And a backup for your backup. :D

Meh, it's going fine. The new term starts next week, and it's botany, which is not my strong suit, so I'm kind of worried. But next term should be exciting, it's animal science, which is the field I'm heading into most likely. :D How about you? Do you like it?

~Rick Castle

556 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:55 am
ziggiefred says...

Yes, I need a backup. However, most of the time, I can't shake the feeling that I should be starting my path as a chef instead, it's frustrating. hehe

My semester starts next week for me as well. Argg, I hate botany because plants are soo boring. But I have to do a course in the field this coming semester. I'm in love with biochemistry. I'm probably going to take up biotechnology in the end because of that. So are you going to be a vet?

482 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:15 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Good luck! Ahh I know right? I've never been good with plants. :\ Well, chemistry is related to cooking all the time, so it makes sense that you'd like it, eh? :D I'm thinking of being a vet, and probably specifically a veterinary surgeon. I'm still not certain, but I'm thinking anything that has to do with surgery/dissection should be good for me, since I love that. :D

~Rick Castle

556 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:48 pm
ziggiefred says...

You know what, Hawk? You and I are a lot alike. If I was not so intent on becoming a chef one day, I would probably be in medical school studying to become a general surgeon. I really like "hands on" activities.

482 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04 pm
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

Awesome! *high-fives* Yeah, I love actually being able to touch everything and completely immerse myself in the project. And the more grotesque or odd, the better.

~Rick Castle

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sat May 17, 2014 7:16 pm
wtppowers says...

Replying 4 years later.

Queen are the greatest band ever.
Queen is the greatest band of all time.
I'll be on the radio some day.
I want you to be my friend.
My blog is right here!!!!

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
— Ernest Hemingway