z

Young Writers Society

Well, here I am!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 am
eab10 says...

Well, I was born in the mid-west. It was a cold and harsh winter and mother had become stricken with fever... JUST KIDDING! I'm from the United States of America. I reside in the good ol' state of Georgia. Yes, I'm a southerner, but don't bother mocking my accent as you read this. I don't really have one. I don't know why, but I don't. I don't talk like a yank, and I don't have like a British accent, so I'm just sort of there when it comes to cool accents. I play the alto saxophone in band at school. I don't want to seem arrogant or anything, but I am probably the best or, at least, the second best player. I am currently in the eighth grade. Yes, I'm about to enter high school. Tell me, is high school scary? I mean, I've heard some pretty bad things about that place. The high school I'm zoned for has the highest gang rate in the county. So, if I never got back on here after this school year is over, you probably have a good idea of what happened. (Tell my parents I love them) Don't worry about me, though. I think I can take 'em! Hopefully I won't get beat up, but anything can happen when you live in this area. I can't even begin to describe the people who ride my bus. We have fights all the time! Okay, not all the time, but they happen pretty often. My real name is Emily. Yes, I know. My name is extremely common, but I still like it. I am the oldest of three children. I have two younger sisters: Katie(age 10) and Elizabeth(age 4). Oh, and my favorite color is gray. I find gray extremely pretty especially because it can come in so many shades and goes well with any color it's paired with. My birthday is in July. My favorite number is 10. (My username is eab10 because e, a, and b are my initials, and 10 is my favorite number.) I don't have favorite t.v. shows and stuff like that, but I do have favorite music. I enjoy music from the '50's and '80's. The music is all awesome and stuff. (I know. My vocabulary is so descriptive.) One last thing. Anyone out there in computer land, I'm going into high school, and I want to continue in band throughout high school, but I can't choose between concert band or marching band. Marching sounds fun, but I love playing and performing big pieces of music. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Thanks for taking time to read this! ~Emily
Last edited by eab10 on Sun May 09, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A stranger in a strange land" ~ Exodus 2:22

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:42 pm
brainychic212 says...

Hi there Emily! I see that you are new here to the site. Welcome, I hope you have a great time. :D

I also live in the southern US. I hae a little bit of an accent but it only comes out at certain times. I am in the 11th grade and one thing I can tell you(& this is strictly my opinion) is that high school is not as scary as some people make it seem. High school is so much better, but I miss my middle school days so much. Everyday I take time to think about how things were in middle school, especially the 8th grade. It was a pretty cool time for me :). I was also in band since the 6th grade. This is my first year of not playing for school. I still play my clarinet all the time, but now I just play for myself. My band teacher and I could not get along and I thought it would be better if I got away from her :/. But anyway, I only did concert band. Like you, I enjoy performing the big pieces written by the amazing composers. It was a really cool feeling to be there on stage playing something for someone else. I always knew marching band jsut wasn't for me, but I'm not trying to tell you what to do. You should really think about what you like best and make a decision from that, ok? ;)

& since this is a writing site I thought I should ask, what do you like to write?

-Brainy
"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment."
-Pride and Prejudice

"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon."
-E.L. Doctorow

52 Reviews

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:35 pm
eab10 says...

I like writing strange short stories :elephant: , and also, I enjoy writing essays for school, but only if they don't have to be too formal.

52 Reviews

Sat May 01, 2010 2:31 am
eab10 says...

The high school band director came to talk to us about high school band, and it turns out, we don't get a choice of what we do. If we are in the band, we are in both the marching band and the concert band, so that fixed my problem!

Reviews: 3
Tue May 04, 2010 1:54 am
CarlElizondo says...

High school is partially what you make of it, what/who you surround yourself with, and the fact it is what it is. I wouldn't worry too much. It's inevitable, but hey. Since that's the case, might as well have fun with it - no? A great place to meet prospective friends is joining clubs that interest you, and if there aren't any. Well, you can always start one and attract people that are like minded. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck. Have fun, but not too much fun.

Also, you can take Advanced Placement courses even if your school doesn't offer it. Collegeboard.com offers information and from what I know, you just need to pay for the AP exam ($80) and if you ace it you get 5/5 college credit. The way it works in my high school is that I need to get a teacher to sign off on it, saying they will help me as a mentor that I meet once a week or so. Talk to my counselor, have the principal sign off and I'm good to go. It's really a great opportunity if you choose to take it (and way cheaper compared to an actual college course).

Feel free to send a PM my way if you have any questions.

Yeah, my high school is the same. We haven't much choice, you like Concert Band or Marching Band: perhaps even both. Regardless, you've gotta do it. I've rambled enough, have a great day.

52 Reviews

Sun May 09, 2010 11:40 pm
eab10 says...

Thanks for your words of wisdom! The high school I'm going to does offer AP classes, but only to the higher grades. No ninth graders allowed! :)

Anyway, I guess I'll be okay in high school. I'm getting a packet that tells about high school and allows me to sign-up for classes tomorrow. So, yeah. I'm almost a high schooler, but not yet. Just three more weeks! :?

Reviews: 3
Sun May 09, 2010 11:49 pm
CarlElizondo says...

You're welcome, and although your high school says that it doesn't offer it to freshmen -- that isn't necessarily true. If you argue enough with them, they have to let you because of the fact they have no right to bar you from taking a course that will benefit you (and get you college credits cheap!) I had a friend taking AP as freshman and throughout her high school career, by the time she got to college she entered as Sophomore since she had enough credits to skip a year.

Also, you may want to look into Magnet schools or a program dubbed "Seeds" which is open to seventh graders to ninth graders, that's just a single portion. It's an enrichment program, talk to your counselor about it. If you're interested.

Good luck in high school!

52 Reviews

Sun May 09, 2010 11:54 pm
eab10 says...

Thanks! I would talk to my counselors about it, but in truth, the counselors kinda creep me out. They just give off that wired vibe whenever they're around. I don't think I'll being having any talks with them anytime soon.

-Emily

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb