z

Young Writers Society

Taking My First Step

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:45 pm
kristachouinard says...

Hey Strangers :)

My name is Krista and next month I’ll be seventeen. I’ve been writing through all of my teenage years, literally. I started when I was thirteen and have continued onto now. Through the years I’ve let it become a greater part of my life and the older I get, the harder I work. I joined this site mere minutes ago because I was looking for a place where I can post my poems. Although in my future I would like to write novels (Romances especially-they’re my guilty pleasure) right now I tend to stick with poetry for the sake of time. They’re quicker and easier to fit into a teenager’s daily schedule.

I started taking my own passion more seriously last year through my creative writing course at my high school. My teacher encouraged me so much, and from her class I gained self-motivation. I learned so much from her, and plan to learn even more next year as I endeavor on an online creative writing course. Another opportunity I was lucky enough to be given is the Juniper Institute for Young Writers. I was thrilled when I was accepted into the program a few days ago. I’m sure the poems that I submitted in my application will be posted on this site soon :) With this institute I hope to learn much more about structure in poetry, and telling the story from beginning to end, the two things in writing that I tend to focus most on.

Where I am In Life Right Now: COLLEGE! Well, college searching. I plan to major in Communications and minor in Writing (or English with a track in writing). Schools that I am considering include Keene State, Quinnipiac, Endicott, and Colby-Sawyer. One day I hope to work at a television station, but my ultimate goal is to publish a novel, and hopefully many more after that. However, I know that it’s much more than just hoping to be discovered and to have a break through one day. I know I’m going to need to work hard, and I hope that you guys can contribute by helping me improve my work and I’ll try to help you :)

Any questions about me, my writing, or if you just have some fun-facts about yourself, let me know!
I've come to the conclusion that if having things turn out the way you wanted them to is a measure of a successful life, then some would say I'm a failure.-One Tree Hill

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I started writing around that age too. :P Sadly, I quit for a few years in High School. I prety much neglected writing altogether. Gosh, I still wonder where my journals full of stories are at. During my early teen years I would sit in a desk and write for hours. Aw, how I loved writing when other kids groaned and complained about writing complete sentences. :P

I went back to writing at seveneteen, late during my eleventh year. :( So many wasted years.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

Random avatar

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 pm
kristachouinard says...

It's probably a popular age for kids to start writing, don't you think? Finally you grow up and silly drama starts (not that silly high school drama is any better than middle school), and what better than to write about it? I actually found one of my journals from when I was younger and I couldn't help but laugh!

I definately had some times when I wasn't writing either, although they didn't last very long. It's sort of crazy how much more I write now than other years. I doubt those years you weren't writing were actually "wasted". You probably had tons of experience that influence your writing now, whether you know it or not :)
I've come to the conclusion that if having things turn out the way you wanted them to is a measure of a successful life, then some would say I'm a failure.-One Tree Hill

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:36 am
Auteur says...

Welcome to YWS :)
Most people see what is and never what can be. - Albert Einstein

Random avatar

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm
kristachouinard says...

Thank you!

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:53 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hi and welcome to YWS. I also started taking writing seriously after I entered my teens although I had been writing funny things before that.
Your plans seem wonderful. It's so wonderful to see that people are so amazing at poetry coz' I am not. I can only write sories of any type. Hope to see your work around here at YWS !!!!
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

Random avatar

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:25 pm
kristachouinard says...

I love writing stories also, and I acually have a few short stories from my creative writing class last year that might make it on this site. I'm not sure how good they are though :P I'm sure you could write poety too, though!

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:04 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Yes, you are right. Subconsciously, my dreadful high school experiences creep into my writings. Good thing this is my last year. :P
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

I feel like if I was the mafia I’d leave a voicemail.
— Tuckster