z

Young Writers Society

Life of a gymnast

Random avatar

Reviews: 87
Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:10 am
gymnast_789 says...

I've been one here for a while so I better tell a little about myself...okay here we go.

My real name is Amanda, and I live in Montana. As you could imagine I love gymnastics. I have been in it for about 13 years now, and besides school, have time to do nothing else but it. Recent injuries have forced me to take a break though. I joined the cross country team for my middle school in 2004 and rolled my ankle during practice. It didn't really bother me until a year later. My coach made me go to the doctor, which I wasn't so excited about because I think that doctors are just going to tell me that I need to quite gymnastics. Anyway I had to get a x-ray and MRI done and he told me that I had scar tissue in my ankle. I had a competition that weekend so he gave me a cortisone injection into my ankle. The injection worked for that weekend, then started to hurt again. Then I was scheduled on October 23, 2006 for a suryery to have it removed. They told me to be there an hour early so they could get me all set up. Well, I was there on time, but my doctor was 3 hours late. So I was out of surgery in two hours, on crutches for 2 weeks, in a walking boot for 2 more, and in Physical Therapy for 3 months. All seemed to be going well when again it started hurting. I went back to the doctor, this time had pressure x-rays done, and another MRI and the doctor said that I had scar tissue again and gave me another cortisone injection. At this point my coach was really mad, and told my doctor that I was to have no more injection, and just to get me better. Well, my doctor got mad, so we went to another doctor. He looked at all of my x-rays and MRIs and said he saw the same thing. I was tested for arthritis (because my 13 year old cousin and grandpa have it) and when I tested negative I was sedualed for another surgery for October 10, 2006. This time they found more then scar tissue. There was some scar tissue, but also a bone spur, and ligament problems. This surgery took a little over four hours. I was on crutches this time for 6 weeks, in my walking boot for 3 and up to today am still in PT. I hope that I well get better this time and not have to have another surgery.

Being injured I have had a lot of free time to write my stories. I mostly write fantasy fiction, but I have been working on a piece called Sweeter With Time that tells about gymnastics and my injury. I realized my writing talents in 5th grade when we had to write a mystery story as an assignment. My teacher was amazed by my writing abilities. I've been thinking of stories but never had time to write them down. But now I have all the time in the world and have gotten a long way in them. I'm now a sophomore in high school, and my writing has gotten a lot better. Well, this is all I can think of to tell. See ya!
Last edited by gymnast_789 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 am
Shine says...

Hi there Amanda!

Gosh you had to bear a lot of pain i guess for the past many days.Silly doctors!

Get well soon!

would like to read Sweeter With Time.(I like the title)
Keep writing and posting! :) :D

see you around. :wink:
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

Random avatar

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 pm
gymnast_789 says...

Thanks ANI!

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:17 pm
Myth says...

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, hope you get well soon. :D
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 pm
Twit says...

The ankle sounds painful...what's scar tissue zigackly?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Random avatar

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:19 pm
gymnast_789 says...

Scar tissue is a tissue that forms over a healed wound or cut. In my case it was a whole bunch white and red gross looking stuff, that formed after I rolled my ankle. Yeah but now I'm having more problems with other things...they might think it be my knee. I'm going to the doctor this morning...I hope it nothing bad.

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:18 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Howdy there.

I'd be teririble as a gymnast - I cant even do a roly poly. Plus, by the sounds of it; it sounds dangerous! Hehe, hope your ankle is better.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:55 pm
sarahcrosbeh says...

Hello :D!

Ouch, sounds painful, i hope you get better quickly and such.

Like GingerLizzy, i wouldn't be able to do gymnastics if i tried. I can't even balance myself normally let alone on one of those beam thingys....i think they're called beams.. :)

You must be skilled!

Anyways, bye

x

^-^
So's your face

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:56 am
Kaylyn says...

Wow, I know your position alot of my friends have had to quit gymnastics lately because of their injuries. What level did you get to in gymnastics before you got hurt? Right now my sister is a level eight, and I am a coach. I am just full of questions.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:22 am
gymnast_789 says...

Hey, being almost 4 years since I last posted this I thought that maybe I should update this. :)

I am now a college freshman studying Aerospace Engineering. I am fascinated with outer space, specifically Earth's moon. I dream of someday becoming an Astronaut (and possibly being able to walk on the moon). Writing is a hobby that I have enjoyed since I was very young, and I would love to have a book published someday.

I'm still trying to get some work done on my Sweeter with Time series and I am also thinking of starting a Sci-Fi book, but being an engineering student in college its not all that easy to find the time. Between studying and writing essays I still like to write my 'Nicole Narratives', a set of short stories about the woman who I found during my difficult times described above, and inspired me to be who I am today, but unfortunately I've never met her before. I hope that you will all read, and enjoy them! Well that is all that's really changed...See you around!

I like to create sympathy for my characters, then set the monsters loose.
— Stephen King