z

Young Writers Society

Roaming Shadow-"Welcome to My Life"

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:55 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Uh, hi. The name's Roaming Shadow on this board, and as far as I know, I don't really have a nickname. My last name has been mispronounced in more ways than I thought possible, and I've heard every variety of insult that can be derived from it. A couple nicknames have also been made from it, but I do not go by any of them.

Let's see, I got into more serious writing about three or four years ago or so. It was during a camping trip out west to see most of the major sites out there. That story ended up at about 230 handwritten notebook pages before I halted writing. At that point the story was going nowhere and I was rambling. That, and eight main characters was a bit too much to handle for my first try. Still, i loved the concept and some of the scenes, so I'll resurect it one of these days.

Since then I've tried various ideas and come up with far more. I have 11 partially filled, with two completely filled, notebooks with either stories, story ideas, or story notes. I also have a three ring binder filled with loose leaf papers of ideas, notes, and partially writen stories. I've tried to expand upon a few, three of which are currently posted on this site. I'll likely never get to half the ideas, but they'll still help somewhere down the line.

Idea wise, I seem to have a penchant of using wolves or werewolves in my stories. Not all, but there's a fair representation. All but one of which does not follow the classic view of a werewolf and of those they are slightly different from each other in just what it means to be a werewolf. Also, dragons make a fair showing, both fantasy and sci-fi, in different ways. I've toyed with merging realities, alternate universes, non-human species as lead characters, future military (both near and far future), and a philosophical look at light and darkness and what they truly mean. I have a tendancy to make my lead characters loners or orphans, and no matter what I do, some kind of love subplot manages to work its way into nearly every one of my stories. It's usually subtle and is never the focus, but it always seems to be in there somewhere as a subplot. I am firmly against the whole "damsel in distress" thing. If a woman (or man for that matter) is captured in any way, they never simply sit around and wait to be rescued.

Back to real life, I hope to be a game designer, using my knowlege of writing and other ideas to create compelling games. I am currently going to college to learn that. I also hope to become an author, though I have no desire to become famous in either proffesion. If that happens, well that's great. Author wise, I'd just like to be respected as a writer, basically I'm not looking to be the next Tolkien. I like alternatice rock, I have a PS2 on which I prefer RPG's (namely Final Fantasy), and I have several novels. Another note is that while I am not very social, I am not anti-social, and I don't mind being alone at all.

Well, that's me. If for some reason you have a question, you can ask here and I'll see what I can do. Obviously, I'm not going to tell you anything you want to know, but if you're truly curious about something reasonable, I'll try to answer. Again, that's me, and now I'll go off to critique something. It's always interesting to read the ideas others have come up with.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:12 am
Wiggy says...

That's cool! I'm more the historical fiction type myself, but I'm learning to like fantasy a lot more!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:28 am
Myth says...

I'm not much of a gamer but I do love fantasy.

Another note is that while I am not very social, I am not anti-social, and I don't mind being alone at all.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be alone, I sometimes prefer that.
Last edited by Myth on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

50 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:34 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I don't think there's anything wrong with it either. Just that on more than one occasion my not-very-social and my somewhat-isolated-from-others nature has gotten people (mostly teachers) thinking I'm suicidal. Let me tell you, having people think you're suicidal is very, very, annoying. I apreciate their concern, but it was still irritating.

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:34 pm
Myth says...

It is typical how teachers judge you, I remember when I went through those days.

I have a tendancy to make my lead characters loners or orphans.

I find it easy to write for lonely people, I have so many of them in a certain piece of work of mine.

You have great ideas, I think I read one of your pieces Call of Darkness or something. I'm left hanging so write more!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

50 Reviews

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Heh, actually, my loners aren't lonely. Up to at least the beginning of the story, they're just fine being alone (like me). I find these two kinds of characters easier to write for some reason.

Well, since I've had such positive feedback, I'll think I'll go post the second chapter of Call of Darkness now, work on college work (stupid drawings), critique a piece if I still have the mental capacity, then figure it out from there.

"Honestly, I think the world is going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices."
— Dean Winchester