z

Young Writers Society

Accepting Character Sketch Requests

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:58 am
BluesClues says...

Not to sound like my youngest sister, but...

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Okay, here are my character descriptions. All four are from The Book Man, the novel I've been working on (and posting here).

1. Christian Abernathy
Spoiler! :
Race: Caucasian/white, English

Important character traits: Almost cripplingly shy. Loves books so much that he lives in a house made of them.

Face: Thin face. Black hair, neat, short but not buzzed--a nice sort of businessy cut. Clean-shaven. Blue eyes, somewhat obscured by his wire-rimmed glasses. Slightly big nose, but not laughably big. Decent-looking, but more adorable than actually handsome.

Body: Very tall and thin--my friend Jasmine said she pictured him as a Tim Burton character, if that helps. Not muscular at all--he's good at swimming, but that's the only athleticism he enjoys.

Clothes: At work (he's an accountant, although he doesn't like his job), he wears three-piece suits, ties, and loafers. At home he's only slightly more casual--he removes his suit-coat and vest, but he still wears slacks and button-down shirts, never t-shirts or jeans (except when he was constructing the Book House).

Extras: In case you're interested, the outside of the house is all windows, but all the inner walls and shelves and everything are made of books stacked cover-to-cover. (So when you're looking at the house from the outside, you can see into it and see all the things made out of books.) You don't have to draw the house, but I just feel like that's an important thing to know about his character.

2. Minerva
Spoiler! :
Minerva is a garden statue that Christian falls in love with.
Race: White

Important character traits: During the day, she is a white marble statue standing on a white marble pedestal. She stares straight ahead with a slight smile on her face. Her left arm is at her side, but her right arm holds a marble pitcher on her shoulder. She is a statue in the Greek or Roman style--she retains some of this appearance when she is alive. She comes to life every night to water the roses in her garden (hence the pitcher).

Face: Paler than Christian except for a pink tinge in her cheeks. Round face. Dark eyes and dark brown hair, which is curly and half-up (I'm not sure on a style so you can be creative with that--just still in sort of a Greek/Roman style that is in keeping with her statue form).

Body: Shorter than Christian, but not by more than several inches--less than a head shorter. Not fat, but has some meat on her--if you look at the Roman and Greek statues of women, they all have a bit of pudge on their bellies, and curves, and even sometimes little fat rolls because they were modeled on average women. She's beautiful, but she's not a super-model. Tall enough but not thin enough. She is also not voluptuous--beautiful but not what would probably be considered "sexy."

Clothes: White tunic that runs down to her feet, but her arms are bare. Thin golden bangles on her wrists.

Extras: When she comes to life, the marble pitcher is made of clay instead of marble, sort of a brownish color. You could draw her in either statue form or person form or both, whatever your preference. I tried drawing a cartoony, kid-looking version where she just points at Christian and says, "Hey, you. I like your face" and then kisses him and he blushes (not at all how it really happens, but I like the idea), but it was a total failure. I am not a cartoonist, alas.

3. Morrow
Spoiler! :
Race: Gaelic/"gypsy" but really a Scottish Traveler or Tinker (because he's not Romani), half-elven

Important character traits: He's an alcoholic and has been for nearly twenty years now. Still a good-looking guy, but he shows some signs of his alcoholism, especially when he's just been drinking. When sober, he tends to look tired.

Face: Black hair that falls about to his shoulders. (If you think Prince Caspian, I sort of picture his hair kind of looking like that.) Dark eyes. Clean-shaven. Nose is short but straight and forehead is high--not in a receding-hairline way, though.

Body: Average height for a man, stocky and muscular. Half-elf, but I picture him as looking purely human--no pointy ears or anything. Dusky skin, perhaps "sienna" on this color chart:

Clothes: Black leather boots, dark pants, and a poet's shirt, but a lot of that is obscured by the long black coat he usually wears over everything else. The coat has lots of pockets, including inner pockets, in which he keeps knives and maps and also a flask. He has a sword in a scabbard hanging from his belt.

Extras: Usually has a leather pack with him, very old and worn and with some front pockets. He can wear it over his shoulder like a backpack.

He is a precious baby and I want to love and protect him.

4. Tirion Greendale
Spoiler! :
Tirion is an elf, and the first thing you need to know about him is HE AND MORROW ARE MADLY IN LOVE AND PROBABLY YOU SHOULD DRAW THEM TOGETHER BECAUSE THEY ARE MY PRECIOUS BABIES but if you have trouble drawing two people interacting or anything then don't sweat it. (I try to draw hugs sometimes and I fail miserably.)

Ahem. Moving on.

Race: Wood-elf of Greendale.

Important character traits: See the above yelling about him and Morrow being madly in love. There are probably other important character traits I could think of, but that's the best one.

Face: Pointy ears. Narrow nose with thin, dark blue tattoos across the bridge (a mark of the elves' royal family). Bright green, almond-shaped eyes. Black hair, so long it falls to the small of his back, but he keeps it done up in many thin, ropish braids that have a tendency to swing side-to-side when he walks quickly. (The braids are all pulled back into a long ponytail of dozens of tiny braids, if that makes sense.)

Body: A couple inches shorter than Christian, lean and muscular (think track star rather than football player) due to the elves primarily hunter-gatherer/warrior/active lifestyle. Long toes and fingers to help climb trees and sense movement through the ground, rocks, and trees. Dark blue tribal tattoos along forearms (another mark of the royal family). Skin a little darker than Morrow's--perhaps about "sepia" in the chart.

Clothes: Barefoot. Green breeches (a darkish, earthier green that helps him blend in when hunting). Otherwise generally goes bare-chested except in battle.

Extras: In battle he wears a sort of leather armor, which the elves think leaves more room for maneuverability than metal armor. When he is in the elvish city, rather than living in the wild, hunting and fighting, he sometimes wears long, plain, silvery robes. Tirion is an archer, so he usually has a long bow and a quiver of arrows over his shoulder.

Oh my gosh, I'm excited. I apologize, I know that was a lot, but hopefully I organized it well enough that it's easy to follow. Feel free to message me with any questions, and you can either message me the links to the things you want reviewed or you can post them to my wall.

And in case you don't know how to link things, you can just copy-paste this code and then replace my URL with the URL of your literary work and "Title of Literary Work Goes Here" with your title.

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=108614]Title of Literary Work Goes Here[/url]

Except probably you do know how...it's just that it took me approximately a million-billion-zillion years to figure it out myself, so I inform people, just in case.

Thank you so much!

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:22 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Whoa... @BlueAfrica That's a lot of info. I'll probably draw 2 total pictures, one with Christian and Minerva, and the other with Morrow and Tirion. (I'm already cackling manically...)
Uh... Is the style I used for the WritingWolf's sketch okay, or should I go further towards realistic, like Marvel comic style? (That will take longer because I'll have to retrain myself.)
Also, I will probably get concepts done by the end of my weekend.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm
WritingWolf says...

Oh, Buggie, oh, oh, oh. I don't know what to say. It's so beautiful. Thank you sooooooooooo much. It's amazing. Oh so amazing. It's just, sooo amazing. Thank you thank you thank you.

Could I ask another character of you?
His name is Maon, he's Karisha's best friend. He's about the same age as her, possibly a year or two older. He has slightly shaggy darker dirty-blond hair. His eyes are a deep green. He also is in medieval clothing. He has a short dagger that he keeps with him.
He usually is the one taking care of the horses, so having some dirt smudges one his face/clothing would be rather likely.
He's not really strong, but he is a little more heavy-set. But still in a lean sort of way.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 pm
BluesClues says...

What you did for WritingWolf is fine. SO EXCITED.

557 Reviews

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am
Ventomology says...

@WritingWolf Yes, I can do a second character for you, but it could be a while. (I had half days at school, so I got lots of stuff done.)

557 Reviews

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:18 pm
Ventomology says...

@tkpejb, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you! I didn't realize you had changed the post already. (It's okay though, because I put you in the waiting list before I reread the post.)
For the style, is what I did for WritingWolf okay, or should I lean more towards Marvel and DC comic book styles?
And also, just to make sure, your characters are teens, right?
I should have concepts done by the end of my weekend. Thanks!

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:25 pm
turtlethatroars says...

That style is perfectly fine, and yes they are both teenagers. Thanks a lot! ^_^
"the beauty of words. They can be many different things to many different people. It's all in how we listen. Or how we read." - Lyrical Inspiration (authors note) of Enemies and Playmates by Darcia Helle

-Formally tkpejb

557 Reviews

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:27 pm
View Likes
Ventomology says...

@Pompadour:
So... I know you wanted it done realistically, but I didn't have a friend who really matched your description of him, so I had no model... :( At least my computer's photo software thought it was a face!

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:29 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

He looks zaptastic anyway! The realistic thing didn't really matter, as long as it wasn't too anime-ish. And I absolutely love, love, love his eyes! And his hair! And everything else! :D

Excuse me for just a moment. *squeals*

Erhem, now I can proceed to thanking you properly.

If there's ever anything you want reviewed, just PM me with the link and I'll get to it in May. I'm going on a bit of a hiatus so I can't really get to it right now. :(
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

557 Reviews

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:25 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

@BlueAfrica Oh my gosh I did not want to do anything today... Since you had two images requested, I put the second one later on the list. And @tkpejb, I'm working on your concept pictures right now.

Concepts for Christian and Minerva:

557 Reviews

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 am
Ventomology says...

@tkpejb... It looks awful, and way too cartoonish. Thank goodness this is just a concept piece!

Concept for Olivia and Finn:

68 Reviews

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 am
turtlethatroars says...

I like it, I can't wait to see what the finished piece looks like!
"the beauty of words. They can be many different things to many different people. It's all in how we listen. Or how we read." - Lyrical Inspiration (authors note) of Enemies and Playmates by Darcia Helle

-Formally tkpejb

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:12 am
BluesClues says...

Oh my gosh, they're so cute already!

557 Reviews

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm
View Likes
Ventomology says...

@tkpejb Sorry this took me so long! I have no excuses because I was being lazy.

Anywho... Sorry if I got some of the details wrong! Or if the relationship isn't actually long-distance. I just got that impression from reading the first few paragraphs of the story.

68 Reviews

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 am
turtlethatroars says...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! It's amazing!!!! ^_^ More than what I expected! I love it!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! And you were correct in assuming it was a long distance relationship! :D

-Formally tkpejb

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon