Young Writers Society

Covers, characters, maps..

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:02 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Hai.
So yeah, I decided to force my mind into cooperation by doing more art, hence I'm accepting requests. For covers, all you need to do is tell my this:
~The title
~The author's name/pen name (if to be included)
~The description/summary (more you write here, the more details your cover can have) ~If there is anything you particullary want on it (colours, people, nature, abstract/realistic, objects, words maybe.. or perhaps the kind of feeling you want them to have when they look at it?)
~The genre
Also, if you wish to add anything else you think is important, feel free to do so.

Oh yeah I suppose I can make the back cover as well, so in that case if you want a summary or a quote or whatever written on it, mention that ;)

As for characters, I need to know the following:
~the description of your character (his/her physical appearance, as well as the most important personality traits)
~setting/era/genre which the character comes from (I'd like to hear a bit about the story as well :3)
~any special wishes (pose ideas, clothes ideas, letters, speech bubbles, whatever)
~whatever else you might think is important

Maps.
More info you give me, more detailed it gets ;) Tell me if you want a planet type of a world, or a flat "classic" map focused on the place(s) your story is happening in with mountains or seas or whatever around. Tell me about the terrain, about landmarks, about colours, shapes, everything you think of. Tell me which places are connected by which roads or rivers, tell me their names, tell me at which side of the world is which previously mentioned thing, and so on and so forth.
Ideally, especially if you want a map of a city or an island or such, make a quick sketch (on whatever paper, in or without whatever colours), on which you'd just draw the shape of the place and put dots at most important places, make a circle and write "forest" in it, or something alike. If anyone decides to assist me by making such sketch, PM it to me or post it in here along with your request.

This goes for all three, I have no idea if I'd do them by hand on digitally, so you can expect both, most likely combined :mrgreen:
I can also do avatar pictures or whatever, just give me enough info to work with.

Now, as for payment :3 I accept reviews, points, souls and being owed a favour :twisted: You can come up with your own ways to pay me too. Or just let me challenge/dare you into doing something around the site ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:02 am
Zolen says...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure if I need anything, and I would like to develop my own covers, but free (almost) artwork is still nice.

Title: "Fractured Shadow"
name not on the cover
The over all arching story is about, a rather mute event called a break. The moment it happened Three hundred and five people disappeared from the earth at the same time, and were dropped on a shadow version of the planet, warped by the corrupt and disturbing ideas humanity surpassed. When they were dumped off they were effectively merged with insane and powerful shadow version of themselves. Creating a split personality. Most of the plot at that point is the main character meeting others who were dragged into the world and trying to survive the Giants (a solid reflection of humanities madness) who rampage along the landscape.

As for the protagonist specifically, I think 15-17 somewhere when they would be developing male (I have not decided yet, its a story I wrote as a child that I am planning to re-develop). Grey cargo shorts, brown flat short hair left to go wild (he is not given many chances for hair care) , and a torn apart hoodie. At 5'11
Most important trait is a distinct lack of empathy and emotion so his eyes are always glazed over. (Sociopath)

When his shadow self takes over the body every color on the normal self is turned negative, and his shoes conveniently disappear, his feet develop an extra join requiring him to lean forward slightly, but also allow him to jump and run far faster. Also, his hair would be considered long.
As a sort of shadow negative he has a massive amount of emotion normally show in highs and lows (Bipolar)

The protagonist comes from 2010, and is put in a world of micro nations hidden away in mountains to avoid the violent creatures and the Giant beings rampaging around. As such most of the land is filled with trees and plants (the kind you would find native to Germany.) warped made sharper, and a few shades darker, or landscapes absolutely flattened with poison lakes.

The main plot has to do with meeting those hidden away towns, fighting to keep control over the shadow who wants the free will of a body again, and fighting those giants

Pick some challenge/dare, and to avoid restricting you do as you think would fit what I described, I wonder what you can come up with.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:38 pm
View Likes
Blackwood says...

You should give examples of your work, Aria. Bad marketing, tut tut.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

117 Reviews

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm
crossroads says...

@Zolen ~ so you want a cover, or a character, or both, or a cover with the character on it..?

I'll get to it as soon as I can.

@Blackwood ~ fair point, though my art is not hard to find even around here ;)

Let's say this for reference, though I only have a few things uploaded there (it's a sort of an abandoned project, one could say). I could send some other works via PMs and such, since they tend to be on sites with more private info than that one.
- they/them -

110 Reviews

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am
Zolen says...

You know back in the old days of movie making when a cover was almost like a story itself hinting at the plot and the more epic events from the past, showing some of the places and enemies around the villain all around the protagonist.

I miss those days. So something like that.

(Like Drew Struzan, my favorite cover artist)

Hm, I might have to mention some more protagonists and antagonists however.
Last edited by Zolen on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

332 Reviews

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am
Blackwood says...

Alright I forgot you're amazing. Can you design 1000 covers and characters for me?

117 Reviews

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:21 am
crossroads says...

Blackwood wrote:Alright I forgot you're amazing. Can you design 1000 covers and characters for me?

Can you pay for it and wait till I make them all? xD

@Zolen ~ oh yes, I get it. I've never done a cover that way, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out ^^
- they/them -

332 Reviews

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:35 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

I'll pay with souls.

110 Reviews

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:24 am
Zolen says...

Some Antaganist:
The Giants, ever seen the results of dwarfism, they suck really. Odd proportions like a massive head, tiny arms, thin necks, just everything disproportionate in all sorts of painful ways, to make them more shocking, that's how I imagine the giants. The giants are magic stone/shadow like beings with a purple glow around them warped and misshapen in accordance to their abilities. For example there are giants who are almost entirely focused on massive arms, legs, or heads, ones covered in broken writing, and ones that are just missing sections of their body and just sort of flying. The protagonist survives 2 and kills 1 in this story. The first like a mass of stone carved and then shattered a grimace on it's face and every limb broken off and floating around it. The second was like a shadow human with a pot belly and tiny arms that don't work, he had giant fangs and toe nails. The one he killed was because of a town helping him, another giant human shadow who had an over sized left arm that was coated in spikes like a mace, and an upside down face.

The there was one shadow person who was is an antagonist, Bright yellow hair, blue skin, yellow eyes, and a torn cloak that covers everything, but his chest which has a red bold X. He is trying to draw a giants attention to the town he was kicked out of.

Of the secondary characters there is:
The leader of the town he first runs into and in turn helps, a modest female form, bight white hair ( every person is a negative of someone else so they are either blue like a photo negative (or just a color swap), or black like a shadow.) in a simple pony tail, since she is in a stable town her clothes change daily, so just pick something a tom girl would wear. She reacts with hostility at the human protagonist until she saw his shadow side. Her goal is to protect her home.

there are 4 other people who went and merged with their shadow that he meets that are worth mentioning,
1st: normal- thin, white, brown hair that looks like it was cut with safety scissors , 4'11 female, afraid of heights and strangers and hears voices. 16
Shadow- a color swap, arms replaced with wings with clawed fingers, calm and logical.
2nd: normal- chubby, Indian (the kind from India) 6'2, black hair, thining hair cut close to the scalp, male, thinks the world wants to steal his secrets so is afraid of interaction. 27
shadow-photo negative, thin as a bone, hair all the way to his feet that has a tentacle like aspect to it, wants friends.
3rd: normal- obese, japanise, 5'5, bald, male, 34 years old, lazy and not used to the outside world, if not for his shadow he would have starved long ago, his shadow is trying to get him into shape.
Shadow- shadow black, massive muscles, alcoholic.
4th: thin, Cherokee, 4'2, 11 years old, long curly black hair, understandably scared of everything with a scar on her arm from when she first was dragged into the shadow world.
Shadow- shadow black, plant like, hyper and eager to see everything.

332 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 am
Blackwood says...

Ariaaaa Tell me what you want. You probably don't want reviews from me since I went insane last time. But my soul is up for grabs, or we could do an art trade or something.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:10 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

Blackwood wrote:You should give examples of your work, Aria. Bad marketing, tut tut.

We don't need examples, her very name should be enough to satisfy anyone.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

110 Reviews

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 pm
Zolen says...

hm, 30 days ago, did something happen?

117 Reviews

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm
crossroads says...

Yes indeed.. A lot of fairly bad things in personal life, heh. I apologise, I meant to let y'all know in here..I'll get to it. Eventually.. Once my offline life turns a little less hectic.
- they/them -

110 Reviews

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 pm
Zolen says...

Good luck, twas wondering because you never really pointed out some way to pay back for the work, and yes, again good luck, and if possible have fun as much as you can.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:15 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Hello! Um, I was just wondering if you're still doing this? Because if so, I'd like to request a character sketch, but I don't want to bombard you with details if you've stopped doing requests :-)
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing