z

Young Writers Society

Courage

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm
View Likes
Kaylyn says...

This is my first experimentation with colored pencils. I used Prismacolor.
Attachments
61432_2469589235835_1563606763_n.jpg
Medium: Colored Pencil
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:17 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

I like it! Your experiment was a success. You're pretty good with colored pencils. You've done every strand of hair with great effort and detail. The thing I loved most here was that you used different colors to show the shades that were formed and even merged a few colors instead of just using a single colored pencil. Well that's why there are always so many shades in the pencils pack. The only thing off here is the lower mouth/the jaw I guess. I really wish the page was bigger so that more of the lion could be seen.

I just noticed the eyes. I see that even here there is a great amount of detail. It's hard to do something so detailed with the use of colored pencils. Well, it depends on the artist of course, mostly. :) I also like the fearless expression he has, he's got this superior look in his eyes. 'All bow down to me, the king of the jungle!' =P
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm
morgansboss says...

Good job! Like Twinkle I love the hair. A lot of times with pencil, especially color pencil, it can become reeeeeally tempting to just scratch it all in as the same shade. I'm so glad to didn't do that! It really adds a more 'professional' quality to the piece.
I'm also loving the amount of detail. The main goal you should want to set (or at least I want to set) when finishing a piece of art is making it look like it took time and effort. If you didn't really spend time on it or draw it to your full capabilities, then what the point of even drawing it at all?
While I do love the eyes the seem a bit small... maybe its just that they're angled a bit too far upwards, but you should always aim for the eyes to be the center-point of a portrait, be it a drawing of an animal or a human. But in this case they just seem to be a bit dwarfed by the rest of the face.
Now to my most harsh critique- The jaw! I'm not sure quite what you did wrong but about midway through the lions face I saw that the drawing was getting just a bit too wide. Some quick solutions: 1. You could try shading the side of the lions face, and when doings so round off the edge of the jaw so that it rolls off the paper rather than just hanging there. 2. A background! You may not believe me but a nicely done background really can help just about any mess up look better than it did to start with. Try drawing a background line, some trees, savannah grass, maybe even a gazelle or two grazing behind him. 3. And then if you really want to try your luck, you could always attempt to fix it with sine good ol' whiteout.
Good job! Really. For your first time experimenting with colored pencils you have done extraordinarily well. Be proud of yourself.

Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy