z

Young Writers Society

Working on my people sketches

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 am
View Likes
morgansboss says...

So all of these are kind of old but I would like reviews on my people sketches... I'm good at reviewing other artists, but as for my own work... Not so much. The first drawing is based off a picture of my best friend who is also a model, the rest are my pencil renditions of photos from some anthropology clothing catalogs I got in the mail.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 am
Twinkle4ever says...

oh wow! You're good with everything! These all look gorgeous. :)
Little amendments that can be made here.
1. Here the proportions are perfect. I really like the shoes. It's a perfect pose and the hair is looking wind-blown, nice. The only flaw here I see is that the arm looks a little bit odd. I can't really tell where to amend it.
The rest are all perfect. I love the pose in the 2nd one. Everytime I look at it, i picture her with headphones in her ears, mp3 player in her hand and the wire dangling loosely in the air.
I love the shirt in the 3rd one. It seems you were extremely careful with the folds, making sure not to disrupt the pattern on it. That's a hard task. I've been there. :)
And for the pattern on the 4th, you must've tried hard there too. It's recurrent. I've always been bad at recurring patterns. Can't really seem to draw the same thing again. But you, my friend, have done it instead. The hands look realistic with the locks of hair entangled in the fingers.
The last one's my favorite I guess since you've captured quite a lot of the background here plus i love that shirt too. My only suggestion overall is that if you remove the outlines from every picture, they'll look more realistic than ever. Try that trick. :)
Overall, It's really great to see so many different types of art from you, keep it up! :D
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:19 pm
Cspr says...

1. Brilliant. Love the shoes, everything is proportionate, it's just lovely. The expression is very blank, which makes me think "model" immediately. Nice.

2. Very nice clothes (all the details!) and expression. You could work on the arms and hands. Something about them seems off, like the left arm seems a bit shorter and the hands seem a bit small (hands should generally be able to cover most of/the entirety of the face). The hair is pretty nice, but did you use a different medium for it? It seems a bit out of place.

3. That shirt! Gah. You make me ashamed to call myself an artist (not really, but everybody needs their ego stroked, lol). As it is, you could work more on the face, neck, and the arms. You're good with simplicity when it comes to faces, something I often forget, but her head is tilted at an odd angle and her neck seems far too strained. The arms are quite thin for the body. (Of course, I'm sure these models were photoshopped like mad, so this might not all be your fault.)

4. Crop your photos a bit better, love. I can see something brown poking out of the top and it's a mite distracting. Otherwise? This is just plain lovely. The proportions are all great and this really makes me feel like I need to practice people a lot more. You're very subtle in your style, and i love it. The only thing I'd mention? More detail in the iris and interior of the eye.

5. This one has a different feel to it, more of a flair, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. XD As it is, this one needs a lot of work with proportions! The neck is the main problem. But everything else is quite lovely, especially the sweater.
My SPD senses are tingling.

13 Reviews

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey morgan, I know you've been eager to get more reviews on this x) And btw just letting you know, bumping a thread a day after it's been posted doesn't really do anything to get more reviews xP

Ok so I'll start off with the good things I see and then move onto what can be improved :)

The clothes are all very detailed, I think it's awesome how much attention you gave to the texture and design of each outfit. I especially like the sweater in the last picture, and whatever that is in the second (I'm not a fashionista so I don't know what to call it haha).

Your lines are very clean, proportions are generally good, and the poses you chose are both challenging and interesting :) You also do an excellent job at drawing hands!

Now onto the critique!

I'm going to say right off the bat that I don't really feel any emotion from these models. Not that it's really a bad thing, but they seem more like fashion pieces where the main focus is on the clothes and not the person behind them. Though your faces are drawn pretty well, I just don't feel like they are particularly interesting or drawing me in. I'd like to see your models look a bit more alive and not so "posey". I do love the smile on the second pic, though!

I think spending more time just rendering the faces would help a lot, focusing on the eyes in particular. On your third drawing for instance, it doesn't look like you did any shading in the iris or around the eye and the eyelid and all that. Adding shadows and highlights here and there can really focus our attention and bring out features. Shading the face and skin will let us know if the girl has high cheekbones or small lips and other things.

Overall, these are some nice drawings! Especially if you're not used to this sort of thing and this is one of your first attempts x) I think the best advice I can give you if you wanted to improve with this kind of stuff is... keep practicing xP And keep pushing yourself to perfection.

Hope I helped! :)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

13 Reviews

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 am
morgansboss says...

Thanks guys- your reviews helped a lot actually... :)

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace