z

Young Writers Society

Angel of blue fire

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 pm
View Likes
Twinkle4ever says...

Okay I was basically going to just post the painting I did a few days ago but it was too big to scan so I took a picture. (It was too blurry so...) I painted digitally over it instead. =P

The background's still the same as I'd first painted it. (You can see the bad quality of my cell phone camera)

Oh and hope you like it :)
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 pm
Cspr says...

Really like this. The noise makes a good background, adds a level of interest. The face is good and I'm loving the hair. I would suggest adding more detail to the eyes, however.

Nice back, but the wings might have been good to have been a bit larger? Unless they're meant to be purely decorative.

The shoulder could use a little work to make it seem more relaxed, more natural, but good job on the hand.

Like the colors. I like the feel, too--very much resounding with tension, the blue and red and with the manic static background and the girl's pinched look!

Hope this helps and would love to see more work. :)

-Cas
My SPD senses are tingling.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Twinkle!! I love this. The head tilt and her expression are really pretty and they draw me in.

I really love what you're doing with the hair! It looks natural and stylish, the colors are realistic but not dull, and I love how the tips of the hair are all flowing and you added the shine and shade in the perfect places and and and everything xD

The skin looks great, you have very light shading but it's all in the right places. The face is awesome, the shading looks a bit rougher around the arms but it's still good :)

Lovely hand

That bubble omg how do you do it tell me your secrets

Love the wing, it looks decorative but so very fluffy, great rendering and details.

Suggestions! The eyes look almost too pale to me, I would like to see her with darker pupils and more shading in the iris and whites of the eyes. Try to do a bit of a gradient affect where the top part of the eye is darker than the bottom, kinda shade it. Experiment with light and overlay colors, you can zoom in and add bits of purple or green or aqua to see how they look :)

I feel like the lips should be smiling or half-open or something more expressive. They are drawn well but I feel like they should've added to the expression somehow.

I'm also not sure what the blue stuff is that she's floating in! water, clouds, air, it's not clear xP

Alright, awesome job overall! Hope I helped, keep it up ^_^
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:50 pm
shiney1 says...

Hey Twinkle!

This is a very nice piece you have here. The cool colors coupled with the girls calm expression create a peaceful atmosphere, which is good. Overall, great job on the lighting and the smoothness of the hair and face.

One part that bothers me, however, is her back. It looks too flat, or lacking some definition, like shoulder blades. Also, when I look at the picture as a whole, my eyes are not drawn to her, but the bubble. I do not know if that was your intention, and if it was, then you were spot on. But that also says that you need to make the middle of the image, the girl herself, stand out a bit more, because I'd hate to be second best after a little bubble. Maybe she could have more of an expression, maybe smiling or frowning?

Well, those are just my suggestions. Nice job!
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:29 am
morgansboss says...

I really like this! I've never been able to do digital art, so I'm really jealous of this- especially her hair, which I love.
But, like everybody else I have a few suggestions. You can take them or leave them, it's up to you. It's fine the way it is, and always remember that if you're happy with it, than nobody else's opinions count.

Okay, so firstly the eyes. If you were looking for a blank stare, than it's perfect, but in the future I would suggest more variations of color for more depth... like darker near the outside and center with lines going out from the pupil into the edges of the iris (try googling 'eyes', you'll see what I mean.)
Somebody else noted something about her back. I think it's fine, all except for the very bottom near the water where the edges of her shoulder blades should be... Maybe you should try arching them in just a tad so you can see the difference between her shoulders and the water.
(Speaking of the water maybe next time you can try adding more of a barrier between it and the background color? Like a darker blue near the tops of the waves?)
And lastly her arms. I think you did a great job, especially on her hands, which I think are amazing, but when it comes to the shoulder and elbow creases you may try to smoothen them out a little more. For example, look at your elbow. Now bend it. Does the line your skin makes as it folds continue to the very edge of your arm? In the future maybe you could try looking up referencing pictures... that's what I always do. :)

Remember these are all just suggestions... Although it may seem like I'm just pointing out bad, keep in mind that most of these are little things that will come with time and practice. I really do like your work, keep it up!

What will live longer, you or your words? Something to think about the next time you abandon a project...
— Omni