z

Young Writers Society

Hands as a Wedding Gift

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 pm
eab10 says...

My friend and I did this picture for a lesbian couple she knows. They're getting married, but she's not able to go to the wedding because her family disapproves of their lifestyle. So, we got together to make this as a gift for them. I drew it, and she painted it.

Here's the picture before it was painted.
779205849_2767439976_0.jpg

And here's the completed picture.
779442515_2768209815_0.jpg
"A stranger in a strange land" ~ Exodus 2:22

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:01 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

This is so pretty, and I love the idea behind it! :) How sweet of you guys to make this present for a wedding gift!

I think you did a great job with the pencil lines, the forms are very clear. You made it very easy for your friend to go over it with paint. Also, props for drawing hands, those are one of the most difficult areas for any artist to draw! I have so much trouble with them myself. I think you did an awesome job bringing out the exact shape of the fingers and the folds of the skin around the palm and knuckles.

The colored version is very pretty, the bouquet in particular stands out. I love the blue flowers with the yellow center!

One critique I have is that it doesn't look like you colored the hands at all, they are paper white when I think you should have tried to mimic the color of the couple's skin. Usually there is a little color variation with the fingernails and shadows of the skin that didn't get brought out because you left it uncolored. Also, this is just my preference, but the background looks a little dark. Dark purple to me is almost a serious color, and for some reason I thought this painting would look a bit happier if you did it in like yellow or light blue or light green instead.

Hope this was helpful! Keep up the awesome work :D
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 pm
FermentingFruit says...

Eab, I think this was a great idea, and it’s a shame she couldn’t go. I really like this drawing, and it’s great that you decided to do this. For this review, I’ll just do the painting once it was finished.

I’m going to start with a few nitpicks, which is what I always do when reviewing. My one main problem with this picture was the arms. There were two things with these that I noticed. First was the wrists. The way the arms connected to the hands didn’t look very natural, they just kind of merge. I thought that there would be more texture to that, some lines showing the definition of the wrists. The other thing was the color. I think it looks good, but it doesn’t really go with the rest of the picture, and people don’t have that color skin. The final thing that I noticed was with the flowers. Well, what was behind them. I don’t think there were enough details with that. You’ve really just got the actual flowers, but nothing else. You’ve got that one small patch of leaves, but I’d try to do that all around, I think that’d really make the picture better.

Now, onto the part of the review I really like doing. The part where I list what I liked about the piece(s). My favorite part of this was the hands. There are a ton of details, like the little lines in the hands, the shading, the proportions, all of it. I really liked those, the hands looked really good. The other thing I really liked with this was the actual flowers. I think the details for the actual flowers were very good. I liked the color, especially in the middle, because I see a transition from a dark part in the center to a light part (Unless I’m just seeing things lol). The petals, all of it, just really good.

I think this couple will really appreciate what you guys are doing, and I think it’s really great that you decided to. Great job with the painting,

Fruit
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 am
eab10 says...

Thanks for y'all's input.

The background, in person, is a much lighter and brighter purple, haha. The pics were taken with my cell phone, so lighting and such was just not gonna happen.

And I love drawing hands because they're so pretty, but as you pointed out, I do have issues with wrist-ish areas and such. I'm definitely working on it though!

I, too, thought the hands looked kinda off not being painted, but Emily didn't want to paint them because my details would be lost under the color. Maybe we can work on that and get it where she can paint the details. We'll have to discuss this. And to go along with the painting taking away details, I did have light details or loose grass and flowers and leaves beneath the top flowers of the bouquet, but she painted over-top them.

But it's okay! And thanks so much for the helpful comments. The couple will definitely love them, I hope.

-Emily (My friend's name is Emily too. . . )
"A stranger in a strange land" ~ Exodus 2:22

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green