z

Young Writers Society

Halo Drawing

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 am
View Likes
FermentingFruit says...

I got bored, so I drew me a Grunt from Halo. The picture is very low quality, I had to use photo booth (you mac users know how bad it is). Also, photo booth is like a mirror, so it is actually the opposite of what it really is. The lighting is also really bad, but oh well. Anyways, here it is:
P.S: I didn't really focus on the shading, I was really just trying to get all the small details and such.
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey Fruit, it's been so long since I've played Halo that I had to look up references for a grunt in order to give you a proper review lol

I think as far as the basic shape, you've got it down. I can see you added all the right shapes to the armor design and everything. Your proportions are good too, nothing looks wonky and out of place, even though this is a fictional creature and places are naturally exaggerated.

What I really think would improve this drawing would be details, and lots of them. Yes, you've got all the right shapes in place, now it's time to go back and add the details. Add the shading and shine to the armor, keeping track of your values. Try to copy the right texture of it. Plenty of rendering to the face is needed to give it that wrinkly, scaley look. The eyes and expression need to be tweaked a bit too, it doesn't feel like there is any emotion there.

This is a good drawing as is, especially for such a complicated design! But always, if you're copying or doing fanart of someone else's stuff, it's all in the details to make it recognizable or stand out.

I've never used photo booth before, you'll have to explain what that is to me sometime x) Maybe I can recommend some other ways to capture your drawing that will keep it looking how it was on paper.
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am
Rydia says...

Hello Fruit! You always give so many a&p reviews so it's only fair that I come and return some of the love to you :)

This is a really good start and you've got the outline spot on - all of the proportions are looking really good and that's one of the hardest parts to get right! But. Even though you say you focused on the detail, it's still missing a lot of the finer points. Little lines or tiny bolts that would make this look less like a drawing and more like something real! Finer details should be developed to the level where I look at part of your drawing and without anything as guidance, I'm able to say yes, that part's wood because you can see the whorls and the grain of it. Or that part's metal because it's shiny or that's glass because you've got a tiny bit of reflection in it.

What I'm saying is that shading is part of the detail and a very essential part so don't skimp there. Maybe have a few scratch marks on his armour or a dent here and there. Perhaps part of it is scuffed or ripped back? You've done the hard part of getting the stance and the outline right, but now you need to make it your own with finer details and by going off spec.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

57 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 57
Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm
Animal says...

And you reminded me of that game series I completed ages ago. :D
deleted

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984