Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 pm
Satan says...

idek, here, some of these are old but whatevs:

Fanart:

Wilfred
&

Star Trek

And character sketches:

These are the main characters of my novel, and I have a sketch of one of the scenes:

And since those are all two months old (at least), here's the most recent thing I've drawn (i think):

Uh, yeah, that's it thanks ok bye
frickdamn, son.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey Satan! I remember you posting your comics on YWS a while back! They were awesome xD

One thing I noticed immediately when looking at these is that you have already started to develop your own personal style. This comes with oodles and oodles of practice, so I'm already impressed x) I think the way you draw eyes and ears is pretty original. Also, all your characters have really cool expressions on them, and I can feel their personalities. Your original characters are just as entertaining as your fanart.

I'm gonna guess and say that you draw on paper first before scanning and coloring your drawings, but I'm not completely sure xP

You do a wonderful job coloring. Keep doing what you're doing! I particularly liked the detail on Katie and Nicholas's outfits.

The first 3 drawings I thought were all great, so I'm just going to critique the last two.

The fourth picture was just kinda boring to me. It didn't have the same detail as the other ones did, no color to the character's skin or outfits that made them stand out. Honestly, it's even difficult for me to tell whether they are boys or girls in the pic. On the green character, you colored the elbows and knees red, which was a little distracting. On the other character, you left them as kind of guide lines and it looks ok, but on the other guy the red knees look weird against the green. Green guy has the same spots on him that look like the blush on the cheeks. As for reddie, her face looks a little wonky around the jaw area, almost like it's swelling up or something. I would watch your facial proportions a little more, even though these are cartoons.

Ok, the last one is cute x) Boy or girl though? lol. At first I thought it was a flamboyant guy, but then I noticed he had a chest so that kinda threw me. I think the face looks very masculine, the shape of the jaw and the beard and eyes and everything. The hands are large and gnarly too. Overall, the whole picture just clashes really weird and I am left not knowing what to think xD But it made me smile, so good job xP Maybe you can try to add more shading digitally, so that areas like the clothes and hair look less flat. Experiment with color editing and lighting, and your drawings might turn out even more fantastical.

I hope this was helpful! If you have any questions just gimme a holler :)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 pm
Rydia says...

Oh I like these! You have a really fun style and I love your use of colours to set the mood of each drawing, that's really nifty. Let's take a closer look at the pieces...

1. The colours are quite monotone and dark and that's nice as it really reflects the expressions of the characters. I think your ears on the boy could be improved, especially the one on the viewer's right. It's too far up his head! Also, if you're going to make some of the clouds weird shapes, go all the way and make them weirder! Make them into a distinctive shape, like a lamp shape or something fun and funky. The halfway, kinda quirky, but not quite quirky enough isn't working.

2. These guys are awesome! The best thing is that your proportions are just brilliant. Usually I look at artwork and arms jump out as too long or there's a leg in an awkward position. But these are great! You've got bright, fun colours and I like those little circle/ patch things! No criticism for this one at all.

3. So colourful and such awesome expressions! Their outside hands look a little on the thin side and I know they're sideways on but maybe double check those proportions. You really do like high ears don't you? These guys have more of a fantasy air about them so I don't mind as much, but the boy's ears are a little high. The girl's shoes are a little angular. I kind of like that, but they draw a lot of attention and look a tad out of place.

4. Probably my least favourite. I like the sketchy style but I think the background colour is detracting from it somehow and the green figure has weaker lines than the red. I'd have liked to see the wheelchair done the same as the rest of the background - block colour and computerised. There's also something slightly off about the red figure's face, I think it's perhaps a tad long.

5. Uh his boobs are very big. It is a he, right? Or maybe that's the fun of it! I like this one and I really can't see anything wrong with it. Very cool!

These are all great, keep it up!

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Reviews: 3
Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:07 pm
Satan says...

Ahh, thank you both for the comments and critiques!

Esp. for the 4th picture, though that one I did in literally four minutes and was really just something to help me visualize the scene I was writing. Perhaps next time I'll put a bit more effort into those kinds of sketches.

And as for the fifth one, since you both mentioned it, she's a lady dwarf on the more Tolkien side of the scale of dwarvish appearances (ie; beards and generally manly features (i'll admit i have a thing for bearded dwarf ladies (they're just oddly attractive ok???))) Admittedly, I probably should have mentioned that in the op, ahaha

and @Rydia specifically, I think I made a stupid decision two months ago to make my ears really cartoony, which must have resulted in them migrating north, but hopefully I've gotten them under control by now, ahah
frickdamn, son.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson