z

Young Writers Society

Last One Standing

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm
IngridZaroya says...

Hi guys! I'm not really sure how and where this kind of art goes, but I wanted to post it and, hopefully, get reviews, so if I'm in the wrong place, feel free to correct me. This is a short film which I wrote, edited and directed over about six months. (And by six months, I mean, six months planning, two days filming.) Please understand before going in, none of us are professional, neither is our equipment, and our budget was roughly twenty dollars, all of which went to costumes. Still, I'd really love your thoughts, and opinions. I give you my baby, Last One Standing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNg7MYavbWU
And the moon hid the way from the lonely gates of death.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:10 am
Daisuki says...

I just watched this whole thing and it was AMAZING! It's late, so I'll come back to give a better review later. I hope I remember all the things I want to say!
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Ingrid! This is really cool :D I'm going to watch it in bits and pieces so that I can give you a fuller review x) I'm be coming back to edit this later as I watch more.

So far, I think the silhouette at 2:30 is a creative shot. I was drawn into that.

A suggestion I have is that a lot of it seems to go slow-motion for the beginning 5 minutes. It's not bad, but at the part of the mini zombie attack, I thought if anything you should've made that more fast-paced and action centered. For me it was just like "zoommmmbiiee" *whack* *zombie falls down* all in slow-mo. I would've liked to see an actual bit of fighting or snarling from the zombie.
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

8 Reviews

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 am
deleted15 says...

I love the camera angles in it, you seem to have a good eye for which types of shots suit particular situations.

I disagree with BlackSheep over making the fight scene fast paced. As an independent recording musician, I understand that the biggest challenge of doing almost anything independently is realizing that you aren't going to be able to produce 100% everything that a professional company can and having to come up with convincing substitutes/workarounds. More often than not when I've seen low budget independent films, the fight scenes look hilariously unconvincing and just awful really when people try to do them the same way as most directors who have a budget in the millions would do. I think the way you handled the fight scene was very clever personally and is a classic example of what I mentioned above about finding a good workaround. By keeping the scene short, by slowing it down a bit but not too drastically, having lots of short shots and more emphasis on the person swinging the weapon than it hitting the target, you've achieved that goal. I think that if it was a long fight scene and at a normal speed then it would have ended up badly like I said above.

The acting definitely seemed decent to me and I was very impressed by the whole thing overall.

The only complaint I have is that the volume levels vary from scene to scene, though once again with a limited budget and using the camera's microphone then of course the volume will change as the actors move either closer or further away from the camera and there isn't a lot you can do about this. However, if you would like, you could send me the audio track(s) from the film minus the music and I could add some compression/limiter to make the volume level more stable/constant and also raise it overall if you would like? If not, that's cool haha, just an offer. I can't guarantee that it will sound absolutely amazing, but it's likely I can at least improve that for you somewhat.

Very well done, congratulations to you and the rest of your crew on this and I hope to see more.

Bogasaurus Hex
Dec 18 2012, 7:43 PM
AmelieoftheValley: ...Aet and Bog sometimes sound like a comedy duo.

Dec 18 2012, 7:43 PM
AmelieoftheValley: Just pointing it out.

The neap tide draws.
The Kellerok nears.
Caterjunes.

8 Reviews

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm
IngridZaroya says...

I'd love to sent you the audio! I'll do what I can to rip it.
And the moon hid the way from the lonely gates of death.

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:38 pm
munchkin says...

I think it's blocked on Youtube or something, because I can't see it. :/
Someone just needs a high five.... In the face... With a chair.

8F

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 am
Love says...

Not available on mobile.
I was Amareth :)

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
— James R. Cook