z

Young Writers Society

Character Portraits

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:48 pm
Cspr says...

Hello, people of the world.

Recently I've decided to practice portraits with the first layer being a Morph Thing image. If anyone knows, Morph Thing images are funky/warped. I'm doing it as a challenge and to push myself out of my comfort zone, because I tend to only do abstract pieces when it comes to painting.

So here's my first attempt at this process. The character's name is Direnc Othan. He's from my first finished novel.

Here's my second attempt, which I believe turned out quite a bit better. The character's name is Artemis (one or both of her parents are/were mythology nerds) and sometimes people who know her well call her Artie. She tends to come across as a guy on paper. She's not in any current work yet, but she's begging for someplace to call home so I'll have to get working on that.

My SPD senses are tingling.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 am
Payne says...

Here to review! These are both pretty stunning...may I ask what sort of program you used to do these?

Direnc

Eyes: The eyes are very striking, but the color is unnatural and a little flat (unless that's what you're going for, in which case just ignore this). Generally a person's iris is full of many different shades of at least one color.
Also, his eyebrows look a little goopy, and the shading around his eyes looks almost like eyeshadow (again, if that was the intention, ignore this).

Nose: I'm a bit irritated with how nicely it's shaped. :P I'm still having trouble figuring out how to do that. The shading is a bit off, though, particularly because it doesn't match the shading around his eyes. Also, the outer edges of the nostrils are a little fuzzy; I'd recommend defining them just a little bit more.

Lips: Either he's wearing lipstick, or he has some seriously red lips. I love the texture and the play of light/shadow, but the color is just way too much to be natural. Also, the hint of a smirk is excellent.

Facial hair: To be honest, it looks a bit like he has moss growing on his face. However, considering the fact that I have no idea how to actually do facial hair, I can't really give much advice.

Overall: He looks like he would be an interesting character; his eyes and his general expression are both very intriguing. I like it!

Artemis

Skin: I love those textures! I can see the little creases above her eyebrows, and the structure of her face. Again, though, the outer edges of her nostrils could use some definition.

Eyes: These are nice, except for the pupils; they look almost like a cat's pupils. They need to be more circular.

Overall: This is amazing, though I can understand how she might get mistaken for a male. Have you tried drawing her with her hair down?

Keep up the great work!!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey Cspr ^_^ It's so cool to see some of your art :)

Ok, so let's start with Artemis! It's the better of the two in my opinion :) Really, it's very pretty! She has such soft features and I just feel calm looking at her.

critique: I wish I could see the hair, because the picture seems a little smooshed on the canvas. It would help if you zoomed out a little more in your next portraits.

Her right eye (our left), the pupil isn't quite centered and she looks a little cross-eyed. Also I think it has a slight upward tilt to it that the other one doesn't, if I'm getting really picky!

The skin tone is very warm and pretty :) I also love the hazel eyes

I'm not sure how old she is, but she seems to be a little older just because I can see some wrinkles on her forehead. If she's around 30, this is great! If she's supposed to be a teen, maybe you would want to smooth this out.

Back to the first picture!

The colors bothered me on this one. To be honest, it's kinda a sickly yellowish hue to his skin. It looks like he's wearing bright red lipstick, and his eyes are electric blue and also seem a little unnatural.

As Payne pointed out, the stubble is just kinda funky. I thought the dots were too blotty and thick.

Well, I hope this was helpful! Keep it up, these are some great pictures :)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 pm
FermentingFruit says...

These are both good! Personally, I thought the girl was better, but that’s just my opinion. Since there are only two, I’ll take the time to do what I think is good and what could use improvement about both.

Direnc Othan:
You took yourself out of your comfort zone, which I like, and I like how you made this really good also, especially for being out of your comfort zone. What I really liked about this one was the eyes and the nose. I almost always complain on eyes, but I actually like these ones, some you definitely are doing something right lol. The nose I liked, I liked the proportions and that stuff, the only thing with that was I thought it was a little light, just darken that up a bit.

There were a few things though that should have been fixed. For one, I thought his skin was too light, too white. Another small thing was his left eyebrow, it looks like you just took one stroke, it could be improved a little bit. My last thing is the facial hair. Like Payne said, it looked a little like moss, I’d work on that if I were you.

Artemis:
This one I thought was a lot better than the first one. I don’t know why, but I thought this one looked kinda like Angelina Jolie, you can take that however you want lol. There was a lot really good about this one, more than bad at least. The mouth on this one is stunning. It looks really great, from the color, to the size, just everything about it. The nose was also really good, detail wise and stuff like that and size wise. The overall proportions of the head and face were very good, and it was great.

There were a few nitpicks with his one though. The first one was with her hair (or lack of). I thought there should’ve been more hair, unless you wanted it like that, in which case just ignore me. My other complaint is with the skin. It didn’t blend very much, and there are patches of the different colors all over.

Overall though, these were both really good,and you should keep doing them to improve even more until you get as good as blacksheep lol.

Fruit
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables