z

Young Writers Society

Her Face is Black and White

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm
Funkymomo says...

I got the reference picture off the internet, no idea who it is. I used pencil, ink, and charcoal

Screen shot 2013-01-12 at 5.55.51 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-01-12 at 5.55.51 PM.png (192.9 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Wow, Funky, this is very good!

I love how much attention you gave to detail! Her eyes are shaded very well and seem to sparkle. The shape of the mouth and eyebrows were very carefully drawn. I love the different tones you used; very dark for the hair, very light shading for the skin, and midtones for the eyes. All the shades keep this portrait lively and not flat!

My main critique has to do with her left eye, the one with the eyelid all dark. I think this was just a mistake, that you had tried to scribble something out. But that big black area around her eye kinda stands out. It even looks like there are darkish ring under the bottom of that eye as well.

Overall though, this is a beautiful portrait! I would love to see more drawings from you!

Hope this was helpful!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

106 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 am
Funkymomo says...

Actually, it was really dark in the photo: all black. I didn't know what it looked like lit so I just drew it dark :) I probably didn't shade the rest of her left side enough to show how dark it was. Oh well.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

still looks good :D
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

106 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 am
Funkymomo says...

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:00 pm
FermentingFruit says...

Molly, I'm here to nitpick. There were a few things I would change. This is really good, but you ain't no blacksheep lol (We're friends, I'm allowed :P)

I am a huge stickler for eyes, if you saw my last review for blacksheep. The left eye (left by when you look at it) is very good, but it's the other one I had didn't like. On the left side, it just cuts away, and on the right, the shading is too dark, and the eye just disappears.

Two other things I noticed were that she fails to have a neck, so she is just a floating head (I'm a perfectionist, it bothered me lol). Also, the hair on the right is missing a bit of shading, which makes it appear like she is missing some hair.

However, there was a lot I did like about this. The facial features (the nose and mouth) were very good, they had a lot of detail and the right amount of shading. The best part about this were the eyebrows. The eyebrows blew me away. You managed to make each hair appear, and the proportions are just right, and just wow. Keep up the good work, hope this helped :)

Fruit
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell