z

Young Writers Society

GLOW - digital drawing

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 pm
View Likes
Twinkle4ever says...

Okay, here's one of my drawings done completely digitally. And it's my fourth drawing so far with my new tablet. Hope you like it.

I love glowing weapons. =P
Sorry for such a large image. I'll use a smaller canvas next time.
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 am
Alteran says...

First off, I love digital work. (I'm hoping to get a tablet sometime soon.)

The proportions on the girl are very well done. Her eye looks a bit funky to me, almost like it should be mirrored. That's just me though. The style is very Anime in nature and that in itself can lend to the strange eye.

Reall the only thing I can see being done to really make this piece pop is a depper contrast of light and shadow. Based on where the light source is (Upper right) the light should be hitting her back, thus making her front areas more dark. This is also true in the trees. The left sides of the trees should be much darker. Same in the grass. There are plenty of highlights, but you need more shadows.

The dramatic play of light and shadow can really bring a piece forward. You also have the glowing weapon which is a different color than your main light source. You could use this to add the glow to her entire front. A light airbrush tool would be a great way to experiment with this.

That being said, I like this very much and I see some really great potential in this. The cool thing about digital art is you can go back and play with it.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! You have improved so much, I'm so glad to see you posting again :D (sorry it's taken me so long to review!)

I think the background is breathtaking, with the frosty, snowy grass and green-blue sky. It seems like some kind of otherworldly forest! You've always had such a great imagination, even your stories have been very inspiring to me.

I agree with pretty much everything that was said in the other review, including the proportions (which are great!).

My favorite thing about this picture is that I can see all of the new techniques you've tried with it. The glowy effect on the weapon, the grass brush, and is that texture I see on the skirt and boots? great job!

One tip! Do you see where the sky meets the grass on the right side of the pic? How the dark blue overlaps, almost like you colored outside the lines? This is a quick fix! Just drag whatever layer the sky was on UNDERNEATH the layer the grass was on. then those extra marks will be hidden ^_^

Oh! And an easy way to help with light and shadow is to drop some kind of gradient over the whole picture, making it gradually darker in one end and lighter in another, hinting a light source. If you want any more details on that, just let me know and I'll send you a PM!

AWESOME WORK!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm
FermentingFruit says...

Oh wow, this is really good for a tablet, especially for me, because quite honestly, I suck with tablets lol.

There are a few small things that troubled me with this, and one big thing. I'll start with the small things. The first thing is the knife she's holding. I think it looks just like a stick in her hand, there isn't much texture, it's just a line. My other thing is her eye. I think it looked good, but the proportions were off just a bit. I'd make it a bit smaller, and move it to the left some (our left). That's it for the small stuff. The big thing that bothered me was the background. It looks like the grass just drops off to a cliff, and the trees just don't look good in my opinion.

However, there was a lot I liked about it. Probably my favorite part about this whole thing is the hair. Like seriously, OMG. The reflection, and the way the sun reflects off of it, and the way it falls, and really, amazing job. Also, the way the girl looks, with the skin color, and proportions, and stuff like that, it all was just really good.

Just besides those small things, this was really good. Try working more on backgrounds, and you'll be golden.

Fruit
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

don't try me bro
— Seirre