Young Writers Society

My Newest Dragon Drawings

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 am
View Likes
shiney1 says...

Here is my current progress in m dragon-drawing endeavors :D

"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:03 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

These are the coolest dragons I've ever seen. I think they're even cooler than the ones I see on the internet... The second one's my favorite becuase it's breathing out this cool icy flame. It's so evil... and I love it! You've really put a lot of work into these three. And comparing them to your older artwork, you've improved massively! These could sell for a billion dollars!!
I loved:
Everything
the shades, the different color contrasts, the evil looking eyes, the gleaming gemstones on the black dragon. The purple shaded spots on the purple dragon and it's wings are cool. And I love the pattern on its body. It looks kinda like an ancient sleeping dragon. Oh and the first one's on fire! I mean it's skin is so like molten lava or something. Awesome!! Keep at it! :)
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:50 am
WritingWolf says...

Wow, your really good!
I have a few critiques...

First Drawing:
That was a really cool way of doing the texture/shading, I like it!
I think the way the wings go up above the back looks a little odd. It makes sense if you look at it for a little bit, but at first glance it looks off.
You did an amazing job on the claws and horns! You did really well on this piece!!

Second Drawing:
I really like the way you did it's breath.
The eye looks a little, I don't know, dead? But from the look of it that may have been intentional...
You did really well on the shading!
But the red jewel-things on it's neck look kinda like they aren't actually attached to the dragon. Understand?
My favorite thing about this piece is the color scheme! You did really really good on this!!!!

Third Drawing:
First off, I LOVE the way the markings on it's side look kinda like they glow(I also love dark purple).
I think the front wing looks a little squished, but you did really well on the back wing.
I think because the dragon is a dark color doing it's eye black wasn't that great of an idea because it's hard to see(myself, I would have gone with a solid neon color eye).
You did amazing on the legs(especially the back) and tail!
I have to say you didn't do as good on the claws and horns as you did on the first drawing, but you still did good.
I think this is my favorite out of the three!

All in all I think you did a awesome job on these!

If you are looking for a how-to or learn-to(or something along those lines) book on drawing dragons I'd suggest getting something by J "Neondragon" Peffer(I think I spelled everything right).
Her style looks similar to yours. And she is really good at explaining how to do things in an up-beat tone.(actually I could barely draw wings till after a read one of her books. And now I think I draw them pretty good)

I just have one last thing to say about you pictures; do you know what types of dragons they are?
This doesn't really matter that much. I just find that knowing what type of dragon I'm drawing helps me draw it better. Because I have a hard time drawing a dragon with webbed feet if I have no idea wither or not it can swim(that was a bad example).

So nice job, well done. I hope to see more from you!!!
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 am
shiney1 says...

Thanks for the critiques guys!

@WritingWolf

The last dragon has no eyes, so that's why the eye area is dark ;)

And yeah, I know neondragon and the work she does, sometimes I watch her draw when she streams. I thought about buying her bok, but got Dragon World instead, which has her's and many other dragon artists' working included.
And as for the types of dragons, I know what species they are. The first red one is a wyvern, a type of dragon with no front legs and a stinger at the end of its tail. The second is a Tathaan, which is artist made by someone else on deviantart and is a closed species. I made one for myself and got permission from the species owner to do so. The same thing happened with the last dragon, which is a Nocturne. Knowing what type of dragon it is helps in cases of just making up a picture, but if I am drawing a dragon that already exists it won't matter as much.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

My tongue must tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart, concealing it, will break...
— Katherine, The Taming of the Shrew