Young Writers Society

Another art dump

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 am
View Likes
ERZA says...

9.jpg

A whimsical sketch that I drew for no reasons.
11.jpg

An attempt to draw Victorian boys.
10.jpg

Another attempt to do Victorian boys.
Take your time :)
Always and Never are two words to always remember never to use.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:45 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

hey girl hey

These pics are awesome! Great to see so much art from you!! :D

I like the first one because it just looks like you had a spur of the moment urge to draw x) You just did the facial features and a bit of the hair and called it a day x) I do this on so many of my pics! If I can point out a bit of critique, I'd say her smile is a little bit wonky. It looks like the lips are too slanted. Usually, you want to center the lips to be perfectly centered and straight as possible. Then if you want the smile, I usually take just the ends of the lips and give them a sort of upwards curve. It's best to find reference for this. Otherwise, if you try curving the whole set of lips, it gives it a lopsided kind of look. If that makes any sense xD

Love the victorian anime style, so cool!
Really great designs on these guys, and great lineart. So nice and clean! I love the colors too! Only (and I get told this a lot on my drawings) that one in the red cape looks a little girly xDI think it's the hair that makes me feel that way! Also his big round eyes. Usually when anime guys have longer hair the artist gives them more squinty, older-looking eyes so they look like men. A few other good tricks to making guys look more like guys is to make their arms a little bulkier or more muscular. Also their hands can be larger. On the red cape drawing, the hands are quite small. Usually I will reference a character's hands to roughly be a little smaller than their faces. Of course, manga style disrupts these rules quite often so it's best to look closely at your reference! :D

As a last comment, I recommend you trying tinypic.com to upload your pictures. Even if I open them in a new window, they look small. I do mine through tinypic, and choose the 'resize to message board' option and they always come out the right size for me ^_^

Hope this was helpful! Thanks for posting!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues