z

Young Writers Society

The Sun Children V artwork

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:31 pm
View Likes
TheSunChildren says...

I thought i'd start this thread now for pictures relating to my novel; The Sun Children V. what i have here first (and only this time) is my first ever full acrylic figure painting, and 3rd ever actual acrylic work. It depicts Empress Ember Galinorn in the 4th book of TSCV, in the last battle in full Calamihan armour. 5-6 hours spent on it, still not happy with some parts, but i think overall it came out ok. I must say, i am warming to acrylics and quickly realising how fun it is to do real paintings. So um - yeah - let me know what you think.
Attachments
Photo1252.2jpg.jpg
Not many remember how life there began, in the lands amidst surrounding walls of stone and pools of deep darkness, but whilst they forget the secrets of the past, they begin to riddle the future with their growing lust for knowledge, greatness and power.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

Hello! :) I was hoping that you'd post some more of your drawing/paintings. To think that it's your first ever full length figure painting, it's real good. Sure the propotions are off a little bit here and there but if you keep at it, you'll get to that.
Tip about human figures, take photo of a person or even yourself to use as reference. that way the proportions will be perfect. Overall, I love the armor. I'd always thought people in armor looked boring but seeing that you've styled it as well, it doesn't look anywhere near boring. :) You've also put in the right shades and the shine. (Making sure not to overdo it)
Also I have to keep in mind that this is your original, no referance taken. SO it's awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of your characters. :D
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

9 Reviews

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:32 pm
TheSunChildren says...

Hi! thanks for your comment, much appreciated. :) If you don't mind me asking, what part of the proportions looks odd to you? i may be able to correct it seen as its acrylic, but it may also be the angle i took the picture at, as i was stood over it and if the camera tilts, it makes one end look larger, but please tell me nonetheless. Also, since i posted it, i have redone the hands, now they look a bit more realistic..i can never get them right..just light drawing horses (my hardest thing to draw)

Also, about the armour, i have a passion for designing armour, and this is one of my favourites i must say, i try to make them ornate, but also realistic enough that they could have actually been worn. You will also notice i have a passion for swords too, as seen below.

Here is my second main character, Princess Sahfire Tavral (who lived 986 years before Ember) this was a quick sketch i did of her.
upload 1.jpg
Yes the hair could have been done better, and i could have done it, but to be honest i don't like spending too long on the hair so long as i get the facial features right. too late to change it now, i laminated it..

Secondly is the sword she used, which variues from the design above, but this is what it looks like; Osiriguard being its name.
upload2.jpg
If i was to redesign it, i would make the pommel on the hilt a little larger to balance the weight of the blade, also there isn't really anywhere to bolt the tang to...sorry for the sword terms...i did research.. :?

Thirdly is a display of some of the watercolor armours i designed. Arzurian, Nyshuhrian, Argarian. these are from the stage where i was still experimenting with watercolour, and the Argarian and Arzurian armour i didn;t paint the spaulders on, but i can do that anytime.
upload3.jpg

you may notice that the Arzurian armour looks similar to that of the first painting i posted, the Calamihan and Nyshuhrian people are the same, just years later.

Many of these, and more, can be seen in my main thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=93712

Tomorrow comes another large character painting! Ember's sister, the first time im ever going to create her with hair colour :D
Not many remember how life there began, in the lands amidst surrounding walls of stone and pools of deep darkness, but whilst they forget the secrets of the past, they begin to riddle the future with their growing lust for knowledge, greatness and power.

9 Reviews

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 pm
TheSunChildren says...

Whilst i have the time tonight, i'm going to repost works from my main thread, displaying my portrayal of buildings from my novel, using 3 different mediums; watercolour, pencil, and 3d software. I always like to experiment using different means of work, and when i write a slice of history or chapter from my novel, i always find myself doodling or sketching or even painting what i am visualising. 8)

upload4.jpg

The Nyshuhrian city of Rhushar in the Hold of Vonahr, within the Realm of Rhunahr.

upload5.jpg

The Castle of Alornia, in the southern Realm of Arzuria

upload6.jpg

The Old castle of Erivania, the forest Realm of Arzuria.

The reason i am resposting pictures from my main thread is purely on the fact that the main thread is for the written history of my fantasy world, this thread is for the artwork from it, purely artwork.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:44 am
Twinkle4ever says...

Okay, I hope you’ll be able to fix it.
Firstly, the ears are a little high. If you look at yourself in the mirror, you’ll notice that the ears come in a line with the eyes. I know the face is tilted upwards but they’re still a little high.
The hands are still a little small. The lower one is angled incorrectly because it doesn’t seem like its holding the sword. About the upper hand, in this pose, only the fingers and the thumb gripping the sword should be visible. The rest of the glove is not supposed to be visible otherwise it seems like it’s far away from her instead of being close to the other hand.
The legs are oddly small. Compared to the arms and upper body I mean.
And hey those are some cool armor designs! I think any teenager in this world who thinks armors are boring and unfashionable should totally check these out. I so want to try them all on! :D
The sword’s really detailed and so is sapphire. At first I didn’t know that was the hair. It looks like some kind of cloth helmet or something. But the ear here is also drawn a little high. That should’ve been leveled with the eye as well.
And oooh! These are really good sketches for your story. (I’m talking about the buildings) They’re done in such clever detail which shows just how much dedicated you are to your novel. It’s good that you make pictures for your book. This way it’s easier for the reader to picture everything.
Great job! And do keep it up. :)
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

9 Reviews

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 am
TheSunChildren says...

Hi again, thanks for replying :D I have corrected the hands and sorted the ear, as for the legs i have realised that is purely how i took the picture (i did a turning radius on the arms and they end up in the right place)

For the other drawings, Sahfire like i said i could have done the hair, but it would have taken me a fair while longer, i drew that a few months ago now, and since then i must say i have improved a fair bit. I'm pleased you like the sword and armour, they didn't really take long, but as long as they're alright. The buildings did take me a little longer, the watercolour about 2 hours, pencil an hour and 3d model 1.5 hours, but these are all old and have already been posted, hopefully i should have something more to add today if i get another painting done. :D

thanks again.

9 Reviews

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:51 pm
TheSunChildren says...

Well, it is a few days later than i hoped, but i got it done. Here is Sharla Galinorn (in her Enighuir armour from the 4th book) i only used one brush size for this, and that brush got damaged by the acrylic. some parts didn't turn out how i hoped, i.e. the face, some colours got a bit messed up, but overall it isn't too bad. This was the first time i painted a gorget and full spaulders on a figure, and they aren't too bad either. i know there is a lot to be improved, but i'm leaving it for now. The sword she carried is Nethersedge, but i shalln't go into that history now, i will explain sometime on my main thread.

Photo1284.jpg

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:38 pm
TheSunChildren says...

I wasn't sure if i'd ever post here again, nor anywhere else on YWS, but eitherway i thought i'd just put this up - my latest A2 drawing for my project at school (about my novel) it is a detailed section of another acrylic painting i have done. the sword is designed fully by me - as is the armour. i neglected the right hand side a little bit because i was going to put something over the top... so - yeah really...
Attachments
a2 drawing.jpg

9 Reviews

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:59 pm
View Likes
TheSunChildren says...

Just spent 5 and a half hours painting this for A-level art. Thought i may as well post it considering it is from my novel. Some parts are a little hard to make out because of the lighting, but the more, usually tricky parts were challenging because its only about 20x20cm.
Attachments
Ember paint 2.jpg

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman