z

Young Writers Society

Belle & Mulan

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 am
Lavvie says...

I love Disney, if you don't already know. I've recently made a goal to draw all original Disney "princesses": Cinderella, Belle, Aurora, Mulan, Pocahontas, Snow White, Jasmine and Ariel. I will exclude Tiana and Rapunzel since they're fairly new and I don't consider them quite the Real Disney Princess.

Anyway, so far I've drawn Belle and Mulan. I'm no artist, so it was all in good fun. I'll start Jasmine this weekend.

Again, I'm lazy so expand the photos into a new tab to see them fully. (Right click for PC and control+click for Macs.)

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 am
Mickixoxo says...

Hellooooo

I'm here to judge you >:)

... Okay I lied. But I shall present critiques! :]

First of all, I love the way you drew the outfits. Both of them are pretty spot on and lovely. Your shading is vurry nice, too.

I'd say that all proportions are correct until you arrive at the facial area. The mouths are too low on the face, and there's barely a chin below them. You should think of either making the lips a big smaller and raising them upwards, or elongating the face in general. I would avoid the latter, though, because your faces seem to be in proportion to the rest of the bodies. Also, the eyes on Belle, not so much Mulan, though, are a little too big, and look kind of squished into the face.

Other than those features, I think these are very well drawn :3 I like them. I'm also impressed because I thoroughly fail at shading with anything but a number 2 pencil... >.< so well done!

Oh, and one more thing I would like to point out, though this has totally nothing to do with a critique of any kind. It's just my OCD kicking in, and my overwhelming need to point this out wherever it pops up.... Buuuuut.... Mulan is not a princess >,< of anything. At all. She is not royal. At all. In any way shape or form >.< her dad was a soldier in the army, and she married a general.

Sorry. I don't know why, but I always feel the need to point that out. It just totally bugs me for some reason. But you can completely ignore that part of my review if you so like.... since it's got nothing to do with the actual critique and oh gosh I'm just babbling now :S
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

522 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:29 am
Lavvie says...

Thanks!

My faces are awful, I know :P I'm just having fun. I'll keep in mind your suggestions for the other drawings that I will do.

As for your technicality about the princess thing, I'm aware:

I've recently made a goal to draw all original Disney "princesses":

Hence the use of quotations. :)

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:46 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Quick comment:
Mulan's hair is fine, while Belle's is wavy so, try to show in the lines, and not make a it like a block of hair? Mulan has that Oriental look, so block hair is fine, but Belle's needs more strokes and waviness.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 am
Lavvie says...

I did with a dark brown fine-point marker, but I don't think it showed very well. Well, obviously. I'll fix it ASAP - it won't take long! :)

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

These are really cute! I especially love Belle's dress x)

I agree with Micki's comments about the faces, if you were looking to improve. Proportions are tough, but it just takes a bit of practice. Since you'll be drawing more princesses anyway, I'd try to focus on that aspect.

Great job with these two! I'm looking forward to seeing your version of Pocahontas, my fav princess ^_^
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper