First -Time Tablet User

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 am
View Likes
shiney1 says...

Yes BlackSheep, I got a tablet for Christmas! Image

But it's so hard to handle :(

But anyway, here is my first real picture using my tablet. I was reluctant because I know it's crap but hey, you gotta put yourself out there, right?

Here is the rough sketch I did before:

Here is the finished version, done with a tablet and PSE

So....yeah...
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 am
View Likes
Taxi says...

Crap this is not. D:
I really like it in fact. The only thing I can really think of that doesn't look quite right is his collar... it kind of looks like a meat product of some kind. Like he's wearing a meat jacket with a bacon collar. Yeah.

...Anyway, that's probably just me. xD I love this pic and I look forward to seeing more drawings by you. ^_^

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Wow, this is definitely impressive! No joke ^_^ This is much cleaner than MY first digital drawing, that's for sure!

You should be proud of this :) I love the sketch! It's a really cute character. The almost-sad expression really drew me in.

It took me a while to get used to my tablet as well. For months it would take me FOREVER to color a drawing. I've been practicing for over a year now, and I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of things. The key is to keep experimenting with the program and learn your own tricks as you go along.

I really don't have much critique for this picture. Honestly, I've never had luck using photoshop so I don't have any experience there. I thought Gimp was a lot easier to use when I started out. Even though I bought Paint Tool SAI this Christmas, I still use Gimp first to edit my sketch before coloring. I'm not really saying Gimp is better, but I'd recommend downloading it and giving it a try.

But yeah, this picture is a huge success :D great job!

What kind of tablet did you end up getting, btw? :)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

182 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 pm
shiney1 says...

I got a Wacom Bamboo.

And I had Gimp before, but it kept freezing my computer and would not start up, so I got rid of it and went to PS Elements, which is better in my opinion.
Yeah, I will have to practice a lot...
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

739 Reviews

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 am
View Likes

Hey, me too! I got the Bamboo Fun :) Mine came with Corel Paint Essentials and that was good too, at least when I started out. I don't use it so much anymore x)

That's too bad about the Gimp freezing up. I'm sure Photoshop will be as good, I could just never figure it out for myself xP

I recommend playing around with layer commands. I always set a layer to multiply when I'm shading, and using an light colored airbrush while on an 'overlay' or 'soft light' layer will add shine to a picture.

Another thing I tried was searching for speedpaints or tutorials on youtube, so I could see how other digital artists drew. I learned a lot from watching other people.

Sorry if I rambled a bit here x) Good luck with the tablet and everything! ^_^
-Chuck Palahniuk

182 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 pm
View Likes
shiney1 says...

What does Multiply do to the effects of the drawing?

And I have been watching people speedpaint as well. It is quite helpful.

739 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:59 pm
View Likes

It draws on top of previous layers. Like, take the black and white outline you had of this picture. That would be one layer. If you create a Multiply layer on top of that, you can color over it without messing up the black lines. I noticed that you re-drew the black outline when you colored, but if you would've just set the layer to multiply, you could've colored right over it like a coloring book.

If that makes any sense x)
-Chuck Palahniuk

182 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 pm
shiney1 says...

Oh I see. But I think the lines look much neater when the are redrawn. Just my luck, huh?

739 Reviews

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:05 pm
View Likes

True, true x) I also invested in some black inking pens. Those look fantastic after they're scanned.
-Chuck Palahniuk

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:50 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Dude! PS Is Win!

Check out the lodes f tutorials online. They'll help you immensely.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:18 am
amit28it says...

Hey shiney1 great work here and this is the only demerit of tab that they are heavy and bulky it become tough to handle them.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington