z

Young Writers Society

Black and White

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:36 am
BluesClues says...

I did this as a Christmas present for my mom, and I love how it turned out! (Much better than expected - I was sort of just experimenting.) The photo of the painting is more gray than black and white, and you can see the glare from the lamp, but, hey, it was just a phone taking the photo.

noname.jpg
noname.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 178 times

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 pm
lilymoore says...

Holy wowsers, Blue that looks awesome and I'm sure your mom was equally really impressed. I even am and I go to school with a bunch of art majors who insist on showing off everything they make.

You have a lovely mix of black and white. In fact, I love the contrasts of black and white in art more than most colored art. It really allows for the use of shapes to shine through more powerfully. One thing that does get me is the little, nearly perfectly round dot in the dark half of the nose. I don’t know if that’s from the glare or if that was intentional but the perfect roundness of it throws me off a little because, well, noses usually aren’t perfectly round.
Regardless of that one little fact, however, I really love this and I would be honored to have a piece like this hanging on my wall…if I could hang things from the wall of my dorm.

Anyways, great job, Blue!
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hello.

I find this a very interesting piece. The juxtaposition of black and white creates a very morally ambiguous character, in my mind, simply because of the colours used. Nearly pure black and pure white on his face.

I do find the detail on the white side a bit stark, however. This is especially noticeable with some detail on the eye. The white side is so free of detail it looks totally flawless. Which could be what you're going for.

The dividing line is also a bit straight. I'd have liked to see more allocation for the curvature of the face (the shadow creeping up along his hair line because of his forehead curve, for example, seeing as the line is drawn well everywhere else)

Past that, and both are technically stylistic choices, this is decent. It's not my style, but it's well done.

PM me if you have any questions/comments.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:21 pm
Niebla says...

Hey BlueAfrica,

Wow -- I love this! The contrast creates a very interesting picture -- one of those I just can't stop looking at. For an experiment, it certainly did turn out very well. I love his expression, too, and his hair -- the shapes are all perfect, and there's something quite deep and mysterious about this picture which really makes me think.

On the side of things that I think you could improve, I think Rosey is right about there being very little detail on the white side. On one hand, this creates quite a simple, pure effect -- on the other hand, I'd love to see you trying to add a little more detail.

Another thing I noticed is that the eyes and eyebrows on the two sides don't look quite balanced. It's probably just the effect of the shadow, but I almost feel as if the left eyebrow is in a different position to the one on the right. It creates a strange effect. I think it's something you could work on a little. Again, it creates a very unique effect, but it could be improved to make it even more stunning.

Well done for this -- I do love it.

~MorningMist~

You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat