z

Young Writers Society

Mister Punkin Head

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 am
View Likes
Payne says...

Well...I started a picture for the contest about a week ago, but it just wasn't feeling right. I started this one this afternoon. Took about three-and-a-half hours in all; painted with acrylics and watercolors.
Comments and criticism are always appreciated!

I guess it's not really overtly horrific, but I intentionally used very bright, innocent colors and made the pumpkin somewhat unscathed. It's meant to be a contrast to the actual situation in the drawing....
Last edited by Payne on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 am
Niebla says...

I really like this :) It's definitely really appropriate for the day. It's not overly horrific, no, but I like how you've painted his mouth dripping with what looks like blood, and I like the overall impression of it. It's quite unique. I really love the tones of the bench underneath it.

I don't really see anything wrong with it, apart from that perhaps the colours are a little too light and bright; the dripping colour, which I think is meant to be blood, is a little too pink to be blood. The pumpkin himself is also a bit fluorescent, but that's only to be expected as he's meant to be lighted up from the inside.

Apart from those few nit-picky points, I really like this, well done with it. :)

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

Wow Payne! This is really good. You've improved since the last time I commented on your drawings. The thing I like the most about this drawing is that you've shaded it well. The blood pooling on the table actually seems like it's something wet and will drip any second. The cut off finger gives me the creeps. =P The shades on the pumpkin are also neatly done.
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:38 pm
crescent says...

I really like the contour of the image. The pumpkin has a mystifying, spooky look. I think you can work on the shading and perhaps darken the colours a bit. I think if you choose darker colours, it will really add to the intensity of the picture, and make your image even more haunting. The pumpkin's face is a bit flat compared to its sides, where you do a pretty good job of shading and creating that 3-D illusion. You might want to consider changing the colour of the table or the blood so there's more contrast. Also, you have a white thing the in puddle of blood. I'm not sure if that's intentional.

You state in your post:
(I guess it's not really overtly horrific...)

Again, I think it's just the colors that make it less horrific. The concepts behind your picture are quite chilling. If you add more contrast, you'll add to the chill. xP

Happy spooking!

-Crescent.
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 am
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey Payne, I love the concept behind this :) It's a really good picture!

You're really good at drawing, everything looks in proportion and there's not one thing that looks 'off' to me. I have a few ideas that I think can boost the spooky-ness though x)

The pumpkin's expression (haha). I think it should have more of an evil smirk, maybe a slant to it's 'eyes'. More jagged teeth or something.

The color of the pumpkin could be less fluorescent and more battered and bruised. Smudges of brown or darker shades could look cool I think.

Instead of a light blue sky, make it black like midnight. Because everything is scarier when it's dark out.

Just some food for thought x) I really liked looking at this pic. It made me smile, as weird as that sounds lol xD
black
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 am
davantageous says...

The pumpkin's expression is priceless
it should have more of an sneer/smirk, maybe fire in those 'eyes'. More razed teeth or something.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/MajorPain11/MrPunkinHeadcompressed-1.jpg
Davantageous

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm
Starlight9 says...

This sounds like a painting a rich man would like to buy from an art gallery, get it framed and hang it in his living room wall. :D I don't know why I've thought of it but your painting looks spooky in an elegant way. The colours look marvelous yet they contradict with the concept of horror/Halloween.
At first I was teased by the presence of the broken/cut finger and the contradiction you've created by drawing those innocent looking pumpkin eyes with blood coming out of its mouth like it is saying "I didn't do it!" But on second thoughts, I liked the irony.
Only two nitpicks I have; the light blue background and the pinkish blood on the blood. (I'd suggest using bluish black background like it's midnight or something and darkish red colours for the blood to make it more realistic.) Other than that, the painting is really great.
★L9

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Hi Payne! :D

I must say, this is a picture beautifully painted and drawn! ^.^
Must have taken a lot of effort into it, so I'm not going to be so nit picky. :S

Just some tips. That's all. :)

1) The brown slab of where the pumpkin is kept. It looks as if... Well. It doesn't look much realistic. >.< So next time, don't fully spread the paint. Take time. Do it carefully.

2) The pumpkin here looks awfully bright! I almost lost my eyes. Not really though. :P If you could darken the pumpkin a little then, it's sure to be a fine one. <3

3) The pink thing on the brown slab. I don't know if that's blood or not. If its blood, then I think you should have given it red instead of pink, Love. :)

Now without much further ado, It was good. (Y)

I can give this an 8/10. :D :D :D

Keep Drawing~! xD

Cheers,
Cookie. x)
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:47 pm
SirenCymbaline says...

So THAT'S where my sock went...
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 pm
FermentingFruit says...

*Shudders* Pretty creepy. May I ask what kind of contest this was? lol this is actually quite good.

There were a couple of things about this that could use improvement though. I realize it’s a little too late for you to edit, but I figured I’d let you know if you ever want to paint another pumpkin eating a hand lol. The first thing is the dimensions of the pumpkin. I thought that this pumpkin was a little too wide, and not tall enough, I’d raise it up a little bit. My other thing is with the eyes. I realize that not all pumpkins are carved the same, but I’d have preferred it if they were the same. That appears to be it, but even if there is more I forgot, I’m too lazy to go back and fix it lol.

There was quite a bit that I liked about this. The first thing is the finger. I really liked how you took time to make it look real, and you even put the little sever marks where it had been eaten lol. I thought the mood you set goes with what you were attempting to get, kinda creepy halloween feeling. The colors and transition of colors was really good, like it’s not just all orange, you put some variation into it, which I liked.

That seems to be all, signing off.

Fruit
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf