z

Young Writers Society

Whipperfly

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 am
Myth says...

I adore dragonlies and damselflies and created this new species called a whipperfly (because it whips its tail to sting its attackers) and I need help on the wings. The front wings are outwards like a dragonly and the second set are above the body like damselflies, it still doesn't look good enough to me and I need tips on how to improve them and the body (the bit with the strips).

.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed May 10, 2006 9:23 pm
Snoink says...

Oooh! Neato idea!

Now... the picture!

I'm going to base this on a dragonfly because... well... dragonflies are what I know. If you see any advice here that you scoff at because it has nothing to do with a Whipperfly, feel free to ignore it.

So... since there are no dragonflies in my roo, I'm comparing it to this picture: http://www.soulpix.com/animals/dragonfly/IMG_1787.jpg

The first thing I noticed is how small the eyes are. If you look at a dragonfly, their eyes take up the entire side of their head.

Second of all, dragonflies are hairy. The feet and the neck have a bunch of long hairs all over them. Oh, and there should be a neck... right now it seems like, if there is one, it is very small. Dragonflies have these long feelers on their legs though.

The wings have to be elegant. Right now, they look more like leaves. I would probably make the webbing more intricate.

Anyway, it's a definitely cool idea for a story! No... scratch that. An AWESOME idea for a story. Fun drawing too. Good luck!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Thu May 11, 2006 6:58 am
Sohini says...

cool! good imagination!!
oh no *screams* "a horde of whippperflies are coming to attack me"

*waits for them to get her*

10 minutes later...
i'm okay *breathes*
whipperflies are good.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Thu May 11, 2006 7:45 am
Shine says...

Hey Doe nice bit of work. :)

whipperfly is really cool.

I guess the picture which snoink has provided u can be really helpful.

And yes the wings do need some touches,u do have to make it more beautiful and real.
The body is more or less fine to me.

In all it looks good.I like this whipperfly. :)

-Sayani
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

820 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2006 9:36 am
Myth says...

Thanks so much! That is a great picture and I'll be changing the whipperfly soon. And thanks to Sohini and Sayani for the comments. :D

'...'

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:08 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Wow this is nice, and it's a great idea. I love the name too, very strange and perhaps could be imagined as a fairy/pixie name too?

I'm also a fan of dragonflies, so I love this.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

820 Reviews

Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:10 pm
Myth says...

Thank you! But this is so old and deserves to be recycled. I might dedcide to work on it again.

'...'

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:49 am
Jennafina says...

Fancy!

I really like the head and legs. They look so delicate, and bug-like.

The striped body and rounded wing tips make it look a little cartoony, like a kid's drawing of a bee. If you colored it, (assuming it's not black and yellow, ;)) that would fix this.

Your handwriting looks different than I would have expected. Haha, I hope you post more whipperflies! It's a really cool idea.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:31 pm
sarahcrosbeh says...

This is a lovely picture. I like the way you've done it :) lol The head is very well drawn and the legs look really fragile.
So's your face

820 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm
Myth says...

Jen: It does look childish. I'm working on changing its position and drawing it from different angles.

Sarah: I think the best thing about it is the head and I don't like the legs either--very fragile.

Thanks for your comments!

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:10 am
Via says...

Haha that's pretty sweet. Reminds me of elementary school when they used to make us make up our own aliens and animals. Colors to come?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery