Resizing Images

Post a reply
325 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 325
Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Many thanks for this mass tutorial go to Elinor Brinn and Abigail_W. for creating their own first versions of the Photobucket/Paint resizing tips, as well as Jagged for the tutorial screencaps.

How do I resize my image so it isn't the size of Russia?

We're glad you asked! There are plenty of times when an image we upload to YWS is so large and in charge that it either stretches the page, or gets hidden in the attachment space behind those icky little scrollbars. Well, fret no more because this thread is a step-by-step tutorial in resizing those pesky images into manageable, bite-sized pieces.

Let's take this in three directions--three incredibly easy ways to resize your images without breaking a sweat--photobucket, imageshack, and paint.

For Those Who Have Photobucket

1. Log Into Photobucket. If you don't have an account, then registration is quick, easy, and free!
Spoiler! :

2. Upload your image to photobucket. Just simply click on the "Upload Now" button on the front page and follow the steps on photobucket from there.
Spoiler! :

3. When viewing the album in which you've placed your photo, hover your mouse over the picture and click "Edit". The following editing interface will come up, and instead of getting distracted with all the pretty editing tools you can use, you'll select "Resize"
Spoiler! :

4. You can either designate the size you want your photo by typing in the intervals yourself, or you may use the presets photobucket has already given you! These are common and easy-to-use sizes for all websites.
Spoiler! :

5. Once you've done this, select "Save a Copy" at the bottom of the editing page to save your resized image.
Spoiler! :

And voila! You're now the proud owner of your own resized image. Thanks for shopping with us, and drive safely!

For Those Who Use Imageshack

1. Go to Imageshack.

2. Select the photo you wish to upload by clicking the "Browse" button on the front page.

3. Before uploading, look above the "Upload" button at the option labled "Image Resize". Choose the size you want your photo.

4. Upload to imageshack.

Bingo! You've successfully uploaded and resized your image, probably in less than thirty seconds!

For Those Who Use Paint

1. Open Microsoft Paint. If you can't find this on your computer, then you may need more help than we can give you!

2. Open the file you wish to resize. To do this, simply press Control+O and select the image file from there.

3. Press Control+W. A window will appear giving you the options of either "Resizing" or "Skewing". We're going to resize.

4. Fill in the percentage you want to shrink your photo! Paint automatically does this proportionally so you don't end up with an Oompa Loompa boyfriend or an Empire State Building-sized pizza. So, imagine you want to shrink the image by half. You'll type in "50" in the percentages.

4.1 If you go too small, you can always undo your changes by either clicking "Undo" or pressing Control+Z on your keyboard. Repeat step 4 with more precise percentages of shrinkage.

Aaaaand boom goes the dynamite. You have successfully resized your images without using the internet! You should feel proud of yourself, so celebrate by reviewing!
You will always fall in love, and it will always be like having your throat cut, just that fast.
Catherynne Valente

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:10 pm
Kagi says...

Even though, I already know how to do this, Lumi I take my hat off to you!

That was a very patient explanation and easy to understand. It was nice of you to circle everything while explaning about resizing pictures on photobucket as it's extra clear. Pictures are always easier to understand, no matter how simple your words are.

Good job and thanks for posting! :D
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:20 am
View Likes
Samp says...

Well, this is useful :D

Mmm, for imageshack users, I would say though, using the 'thumbnail' sharing option (if you are a registered user) would be good for such, seeing it displays a small thumbnail which is far from outstretching the forum theme, and users clicking on it will be brought to a new window or tab where the enlarged image itself is. Simply swap the given image URL in the BBCode with the "Direct Link" url given in the imageshack options :D Now you can have your image full-sized for viewing but doesn't outstretch the forum theme!
Absence weakens mediocre passions and increases great ones the same way wind blows out candles and kindles fires.

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm
callenlover says...

well i usually don't follow directions when given but seeing as how you spent your own time writing them down i will follow them to the best of my small minded capability
accept people for who they are and even more so for who they're not

302 Reviews

Reviews: 302
Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:00 pm
BlackNether12 says...

Is there a way to do it directly to an attachment?
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

825 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 825
Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 pm
Iggy says...

BlackNether12 wrote:Is there a way to do it directly to an attachment?

To do what? To post your art work? If yes, then you simply save it to the desktop and upload down below. Upload attachment >> choose file >> add the file.

I suggest using Photobucket (or the alikes) instead. That way you can place the images in a spoiler and describe/talk about them step by step, or picture by picture. You can only upload three images max.
"Everything you can imagine is real."
- Pablo Picasso

Are you subscribed to Squills yet?

Got YWS?

You can PM me about anything.

I will not prank my captain. I will not prank my captain.