z

Young Writers Society

Mr. Rochester

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:33 pm
Bittersweet says...

This is Mr. Rochester from the BBC version of Jane Eyre. The picture that I based this drawing on was kind of weird, so that's why he looks kind of like a hunchback. But part of it is my fault too. Hee hee. He also looks slightly older than he should, but I think it's a good enough likeness... Sorry for the picture quality. If you have any suggestions to improve it, please do tell!

Holly
Attachments
Mr. Rochester2.jpg
Mr. Rochester2.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 744 times
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 pm
Scorpia says...

Great job, I thought the detail was wondeful. Don't know if it really looks like the guy you based it on though since I have never seen him before, lol. His neck looksa little fat, does he look like that on purpose? Likr I said, never seen him. Is it the guy on your avater?
Like it! I love drawing with pencils, I'm guessing that is what it was done with?
Scorpia
Feel the urge to give some constructive criticism? Why not give it to these stories?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1298113/Scorpia710

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:27 pm
little.angelfire says...

Firstly, I'd like to note that it would be lovely if you posted the original copy so we can see what you used to draw this from. It would help to give a much better review to you. But I'll begin anyway ^.~

The first thing I noticed is that there's no neck. I'm not sure if he was hunched over in the original pic or not, so it would really be nice to see the picture you referenced from. The shading is a little smudgy in places, which is good sometimes, but it's smearing over some of the details. When you're shading, be careful not to rest your hand on the paper which I do often and end up messing up a lot of things. Another thing that will help is if you're erasing some things, then you wipe away the eraser shavings with a dry paintbrush. It helps a lot. Also, when storing your picture in a sketchbook, place a kleenex between the picture and the paper, that takes away the smearing as well.

The eyes look very well spaced, but the eyebrow seems a little too far down, not much, just a little. The nose is a little sloppy when it gets to the nostrils, the left one seeming not to match the persepective that the head is allowing us to see. The lips seem a little off as well with the way the head is positioned.

The biggest concern I have with the drawing is that the body just looks...very off. I don't know what it was supposed to look like, so I'm just not going to really deal with that part, hope that's okay. If not, then too bad ;p

alrighty then, that's your critique from you dearest little angel ^.^

hope that helped!

--meow
Climb inside my belly button beanbag plastic world!

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm
BigBadBear says...

I love this picture. The head, mostly. Hah, like you said, he kinda looks like he's hunchbacked. Kinda awkward. I really don't know how to critique artwork. So I'm going to shower you were compliments.

The nose is amazing. I've never seen a nose so perfect. Seriously. Do you take art lessons on how to draw the perfect nose?

They eyes are magical. There's no other word to describe them.

The hair, also, is really good. I just... can't find anything to complain about! Well done!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:45 pm
Lauren says...

Hi. I never comment on art, but I had to for this. Mr Rochester = perfection. Well, him or Captain Wentworth.
Anyway, I'll refrain from sharing my fantasies and take a proper peep at your drawing...

I like it. Although he looks neckless, I think you've got that sarcastic facial expressional down impeccably well. I like the eyebrows! I think, from looking at Tony Stephens, that he should be a little more lined - the laughter lines, especially.
Hair is a bit odd, but deffo not bad.
All in all - he's Mr Rochester! :smt049

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:50 pm
blacktiger3915 says...

I honestly don't know who this character is (that's because the only shows I see on BBC America, is the Weakiest Link and anything with Gordon Ramsey in it), but this is a very nice picture. You created shadows beautifully. It gave the drawing more interesting to look at. Good job and it does seem like he has a hunchback!
Don't send sheep to kill a wolf.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 am
Angel of Death says...

I love this picture. Its unique but it stays true to the Mr. Rochester that we all know and love. I especially love the way the eyes look over to the right. Its almost like he's annoyed but ashamed of something at the same time. His lips are curved to show an intuitive expression, which perfectly fits Mr. Rochester's "eccentric" character. Well done.
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:08 pm
xxfourthelement says...

Gah! Mr. Rochester! You did an amazing job. I've seen so many versions of Jane Eyre, I'm not sure if I've seen this one (oops) but, thankfully, it's definitely true to Rochester's character. Especially the look on his face.

Don't worry about Rochester looking like a hunchback. Personally, I think the character is so flawed that anything in the way of physical deformity, intentional or otherwise, fits him perfectly. (One major complaint I have about film versions of Jane Eyre: Mr. Rochester is MUCH TOO ATTRACTIVE!)

If you want to improve your style, though, try working on his shoulders. I never realized until I started drawing manga that the person's shoulders can effectively show not only characterization and expression, but basic things like a person's neck and something of their weight. I agree with little.angelfire; he has no neck!

But that's the biggest problem I find with your picture. Besides that, I think it's amazing. :)
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:20 pm
cassie17 says...

This is really good. The face is the best part and you used a lot of detail. The nose is very nice (I'm jealous, I simply canNOT draw noses, teehee) and the hair was good, if not as good as the face. It kinda seemed like the hair was less detailed than the face. The body part I kinda have a problem with, though. It seemed like you put a lot of effort into the face and hair and then just sort of drew the generalized shape of the body and shaded it in, with little or no detail. You can't give up in the middle of a picture. You have real potential, though! Keep drawing!

--Cassie
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

I am hopelessly addicted to Disney music from the classic animated films.

"In a world of my own, everyone would have a dozen bluebirds."

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:59 am
M.B.Author says...

I don't know this guy, so I odn't if you got good likeness or anything (sorry!).

This is pretty well done. The detail on the face is really good. I don't know if this is the character, but it looks like hae has no neck. Kinda funny, just wondering.

Otherwise, good job!

-- M.B.
Listen to advice and except discipline so that you
may be wise for the rest of your life
-- Proverbs 19:20

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:05 pm
Jon says...

hey, good job i thought that this was very detailed although i thought the hair might use a little work because it wasn't very "real looking" i think to make it better you might want to put the picture on a darker background and see how it looks and what would be really cool is if you scanned it and then turned it black and white with a little gray

i hope my little comments helped

keep drawing

---Jon--- :D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:10 pm
gamechanger10 says...

i'm not sure who your basing this off of, but, never the less, nice work.
i agree that the hair could use some work...some conditioner, maybe? haha. just kidding.

anyway, i'd suggest adding maybe a neck. it might get rid of that hunch-back thing you mentioned.

overall, pretty darn good.

-GC10
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

Moo.
— Cow