z

Young Writers Society

Evelyn

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:28 pm
Bittersweet says...

She's not a portrait or anything of anyone. Just something I started doodling and then it became her. She kind of looks like Angelina Jolie though... o.o I named her Evelyn for some unknown reason. I guess I really like that name. And sorry the picture quality is so bad. I'm new to this. And her right eye isn't really all twitchy like that in the actual drawing.

Holly
Attachments
Evelyn3.jpg
Evelyn3.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 623 times
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:21 pm
Scorpia says...

Beautiful. One eye looks likes it's completly black, or a borg eye. And the nose is a little large. But other then that it was lovely. I can never get arms to look right, I like the way your arms on Evelyn look, :)
Please draw more! Still love pencil, lol.
Scorpia
Feel the urge to give some constructive criticism? Why not give it to these stories?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1298113/Scorpia710

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:48 pm
BigBadBear says...

Wow. This is incredible! I can't believe that you drew such a masterpiece! Holly, this is amazing! And, hah, it does look a bit like Angelina.

Annnyway. This may get a little awkward right here. Um... I would darken the breasts just a bit. They need to be more pronounced. Yeah. That's all I'm saying about that subject.

Annnwyay, wonderful! I love it! I wish I had something else to critique, but it's lovely.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:51 pm
little.angelfire says...

It's a very nice drawing before looking at detail and the basic shape of the woman. *dives right in*

The head shape is very nice shape until it get to the jaw line on the right. it gets a little bit too strong for a woman's face and starts edging towards masculinity. The shading is nice, showing off her bone structure very well, and the lips pretty close to following the perspective. The eyes do look a little sloppy, but I'll just blame that on the scanner ^.~. The hair, just to let people know, reminds me of a DQ ice cream cone o.o haha, it's not a bad thing, just wanted to point it out. The hair is done rather nice in an elegant way.

Moving down to the neck, I must must must say that its far too short and look rather fat. Women have slender, graceful curves all over their bodies, including the necks, which separates drawing men from women.

At the shoulders, I'm trying to figure out how to fix them with the adjustment of the neck. The farther shoulder slouches a bit much and should be pretty straight with the positioning of the body. With the way you have it now, the collar bone is pretty close to the right area, but the middle of the collarbone (the circular part) should be right in the center of the breasts, of course higher up, though. If you need help with placements just look in the mirror, or get a friend to pose for you. It helps a lot.

Looking at the arms, I noticed that the far one is too long. It should appear shorter than the one facing us because of perspective. Also, the one facing us is a little too pudgy when it should be tapering off at the wrist and then slowly moving out for the hand.

Okay, now to move on to the body. The first thing I noticed is what she wearing. Now, I'm trying to do placements of the torso and legs, trying to map them out beneath the dress, but it's hard to do since I'm not sure what kind of a dress or undergarments you have her in. Listen up to what I have to say next. I'm not sure if you did this beforehand, but it's very important when drawing so that one can get the right body shape, and body morphing for the clothing. This can really help your drawing come to life:

Before you drawn on your clothes, you have to plot everything of your person is wearing. With girls, it's much harder because our bodies morph because of the many articles of clothing we're wearing. First, you must map out a regular body in the position you want, and try to get everything just right with how a body looks before clothes. Then, you start with undergarments. If it's a girl, than you really have to focus on the breasts. Yes, the breasts. They get moved around a lot because of bras, tight shirts, and other such things. You should lightly draw on the bra, morphing the breasts to fit that. Do they get pushed together? Lifted up higher? Whatever it is they are supposed to do. Then, you have to think of the fabric you're using.

Your dress looks very light, like it leaves the body shape alone. Because of this, you should see the natural curves of the girl in your pic, and I'm not seeing that. with this type of gown, you have to follow the curve of her torso until you hit the hip where the fabric will catch on the ground if it's that long, or be taken by the wind or what have you.

The bust of your dress appears to be squishing her breasts a bit, since I see the shadow of the cleavage, however, the proportions don't allow this. The bust should be lifted up slightly, since the fabric isn't pressing too far into the body, there should be more of a rounded edge to the breast, and a shadow underneath it. With the way your fabric is running over it, the cleavage is just looking out of place, like it doesn't belong there. Just because she's a girl, doesn't mean she should have cleavage, it all matters on the fabric and how you draw it on. Just because it's a dipping neck doesn't mean the cleavage will show like that

Over-all, this pic has a lot of potential, and you just have to hone in your skills. Take time looking at people whenever you're on a walk (I tell this to everyone). It's really kinda awkward at first. I still sometimes feel weird staring at other people, trying to figure out how their bodies are fitting into their clothes or how they move. Just keep reminding yourself it's for art, and it makes it slightly better XD

*wipes brow* Wow, that was a long one

--meow
Climb inside my belly button beanbag plastic world!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 pm
Medusa says...

The face is a lil square, but hey, represent the square-face people, right? Just kidding. I love it. It's elegant and classy. Good job.

--Medusa.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:50 am
ChildofEden says...

Wow, so I was going to go into a lot of things, but angelfire beat me to it.
However, I do have a little bit to say.
You seem like you really like to draw women, judging by the work of yours that I've seen. Not an easy thing to draw because women have a lot of weird proportions! (lips, breasts, hips, waist curve, etc)
I love the way you design dresses, but after that, when you look at the rest of the body, specifically the face, it's a bit of an "ummm....ok?" moment. Her eyes are pretty different *I liked the borg comparison*, and the nose seems a tad big and bulky for her. Her neck is also pretty short and chunky.
All in all, great job. Just try to define a couple things a bit more! Anything else I'd have to say has already been mentioned. Tootles!

~ Eden
The Future Belongs To Those Who Believe In The Beauty Of Their Dreams. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

My God, oh how you've changed me; broken, shaped, and rearanged me. How you've knocked me down so you could pick me up.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:56 am
chocoholic says...

I haven't read what anybody else said, and feel free to ignore me because I don't know anything about art.

This was really good. Again, I wish I could draw like this. I really liked the simplicity of the dress and the way it fades out, but the eyes were annoying. The both seemed a little weird. One was bigger than the other, and one was looking in the other direction.

I could definitely see Angelina Jolie in it, though. Oh, and I love the name Evelyn.

Great job, I wish I could draw like you!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Reviews: 2
Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:34 am
Amblur` says...

This is very good Holly! The arms and hands are awesome on this one. The right eye look a little like a black eye, and the nose is a little too big. But, other than that I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Great Job!

~Amber

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:35 am
Kaylyn says...

Yes, I agree that the jaw seems to masculine, soften the curves along it a little, otherwise I think it looks pretty good.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:22 am
Broken^Minded^Warrior says...

Ooops, sorry for the double post... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Broken^Minded^Warrior on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 am
Broken^Minded^Warrior says...

Good job! "Bad picture quality?" This is excellent! Sorry if this doesn't help you any, but I literally could not see any of the things that the other member pointed out until they did. Of course, I have no clue who this Angelina person is, but... And she does look like a Evelyn.
Is it a freakin' crime to be 13 years old and never have had a girlfriend before?

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:46 pm
vox nihili says...

Really good drawing! It makes the viewer wonder: who is this woman in the long dress? She has this interesting expression with a good angle on her face, too. What is with the darker, sort of arched/angled eyebrow, though? The eye under it is fairly shadowed, and I didn't understand why. A couple of lines are too harsh, basically too defined. One would be the very straight, angle-less nose. Does she have a really flat nose, or did you just draw it like that? Also, the shading on the cheek is too wide-it erases the sense of an angular chin that is connoted by the other side of her face. A really good drawing-you just need to work a little on making curved, finer lines in a few places. Also, her upper arm, the one that's showing would be kind of harshly straight. The line there doesn't give the viewer a sense of the round dimension of a human arm. Other than that, I loved the whole thing, especially the realism of the shadow cast by her hand on her skirt. Wow. Keep drawing! :D

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:48 pm
.:Echelon:. says...

Hi, Bittersweet,

This is very pretty except for her wonky eye,

except from that its prefect,

looks a bit like a Angelina Jolie,

shes really pretty,

Love

Rebbecca
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:48 pm
xGraceex says...

I love it! you are way better than me for drawing people, im rubbish! :oops:
i love how you made her look so elegant, and it looked like you took a lot of time doing it, and how she elegantly looks the other way she is facing, great
her eye is slightly wonkey but no human is perfect, ive got one leg longer than the other! only by like a centimeter but still lol
i love her dress too, it reminds me of cinderella :D
and you drew her shoulder bones near her neck (ive forgotten what they are called - color bone?) they are elegant too
really beautiful - loved it!!! :D :D :D
SOME WISE WORDS xxx
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka