Reviews: 18
Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 am
Mayfyre says...

Black and White trees
Attachments
Black_and_White_by_Maifeuer.jpg
Swiss forest in Winter
Black_and_White_by_Maifeuer.jpg (144.31 KiB) Viewed 419 times
To find freedom in the most unlikeliest of places: at the bottom of an inkwell, on the tip of a quill.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Mon May 19, 2008 1:34 pm
Shine says...

Nice shot Mayfyre,but I feel there isn't anything unique about it.May be next time you get something really interesting do post it here.i wish the focus of the camera was more upwards so that you wouldn't have got those bushes in teh picture beneath.

See you around.

Keep posting!
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

Random avatar

Reviews: 18
Mon May 19, 2008 3:20 pm
Mayfyre says...

Hey there, thanks for the comment :)
I think you are right that the shot could have been much stronger. The thing that caught my eye when I walked around that patch of forest was, that those two trees in the center of the picture are Black/White, as well as contrast of the frost-covered shrubs on the bottom with the red 'top-bit'.

But I guess being more of a Hobby-photographer than anything else, I didn't manage to catch the setting too well. Definitely ground for improvement there :D

xx
To find freedom in the most unlikeliest of places: at the bottom of an inkwell, on the tip of a quill.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon May 19, 2008 3:32 pm
Via says...

Hello May--

I imagine this was a very beautiful scene, and I understand why you chose to do it up close with the two contrasting trees side by side because that, in itself, is rather interesting these days. However, I feel because we can't see the top but CAN see the bottom that we are missing half the picture. The trees seem very cut off as if the picture was actually cut with scissors, but because they are the main focus of the piece, that really can't happen.

My suggestion would be either back up and capture the trees from top to bottom, or lay on the ground a few feet away from the trees and take a sideways-upwards picture of them.

Good luck!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 am
day tripper says...

I like it, but what would have made it better would be if there was the sun behind it.
Right now, it looks like something you'd see when you look out the window. Know what I mean?
A little less inhuman.
A little more brutal.
Let the blood be your drug.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:57 am
Firearris says...

Hello Mayfire!

WOW! This picture looks like a painting, but its soooo beautiful! :) I think the look of a painting looks better than the look of a normal photo, its prettier. I like the idea you have here, it was a great choice to take a photo of these trees. ;) Its nice to see pictures of nature, but instead of flowers, things like trees, its a bit different than the normal Daisy or Rose picture. It kinda looks like the time of day is sunset, or a little later, am I right?

Okay, I'm done talking about nothing important XD This is a great picture, very pretty. I'd love to see more of your photography. :)

~Arris
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 pm
Lynlyn says...

I don't think cropping out the bushes would be the answer. I really like the different colors here, you did a really good job of including lots of different shades (red and green - complimentary!) in this photo. However, like Via said, it looks like it's been cropped at the top. Next time you're out in this neck of the woods (haha... erm, sorry) try taking photos up at the sky rather than the normal way (shooting parallel to the ground). I bet you'll get some interesting results.

Actually, I bet a vertical panorama would have been really cool, but I don't even know how people do those things (unless you have a horizontal tripod... that would just be weird).
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:32 am
Scorpia says...

Cool pic, makes me wantto visit the woods. With a fur cloak and my pet wolf, pics like this always make me think fantasy, lol. It was kinda pretty, nothing amazing. Kinda plain but I like plain, it's pretty good. Thanks for postig this!
Feel the urge to give some constructive criticism? Why not give it to these stories?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1298113/Scorpia710

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:41 am
ChildofEden says...

As a big fan of winter shots, I was really wanting this to wow me. Like a "there's my new desktop picture" wow. But alas, my current picture will have to stay.
I like the bottom part of it, but the fact that you can see the red dirt going up the hill behind it makes it a little off. I dunno, I guess that's just me. I agree with some of the others, there isn't really anything in this picture that just stands out to me. I would love to see where you took this though, seems like a pretty spot!
A good shot, all in all, but maybe next time try to find something that just makes it really special.

~ Eden
The Future Belongs To Those Who Believe In The Beauty Of Their Dreams. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

My God, oh how you've changed me; broken, shaped, and rearanged me. How you've knocked me down so you could pick me up.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:08 am
chocoholic says...

Hey. I thought this was pretty good. I'm no art expert, but I'll tell you what I thought.

I didn't really like having the branch right in front of the trees, it was really annoying. I also think it was a little boring. I think it would be better from a different angle, or maybe a different camera effect.

That's just my honest opinion on the picture. And I know nothing about art or photography so feel free to ignore me completely, I was just telling you what I thought.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:24 am
Wojovox says...

picture is not my style, but I must say the contrast is naturally well. I assume by looking this photo was not edited and for that i give you kudos for finding this scene in the wilderness.

I could see someone buying this photo and placing it above their mantle in their Montana cabin.

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)