z

Young Writers Society

Song of the Secret Keepers

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:11 am
View Likes
Kel says...

Here is some concept art for my upcoming, as-yet-to-be-actually-started YA fantasy fiction novel: Song of the Secret Keepers.

Very rough sketches.

The breasts have been removed from this piece. It was too gender-specific for the feeling I wanted. Yes, she's called the Lady but at the same time, I didn't want it to be too obvious. Maybe people call her that just because it looks like a she? It might just be an it.

I know there are problems with her anatomy. It was already inked and colored before I scanned it and I know it's apparent. So there's no need to mention it.

The ears have since been removed from this piece. They were way too elfy for what I wanted.

Hypothetical scene from the book. May or may not happen. Rory's look has since been changed.

All art is © Kel Russell (aka me) so please don't take, redistribute, copy or otherwise use this without my written permission. Thank you.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:39 am
Via says...

Actually, these are all quite good. Of course, they all need some color, and some serious shading, but the lineart is pretty nice! What is the story about?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 am
Kel says...

Like I said. Very rough sketches. Most concept art isn't normally colored when I draw it unless they're more permanent designs. I don't often color anything and I even more rarely shade.

The story is still under development, so you'll have to wait and see.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 am
Alteran says...

I really like he tree thingy. And your creatures are wonderful. I would like to see them in colour but as far as line art goes absolutely great.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:41 pm
Rydia says...

1 - Love the head and the hands holding the mini universes. Very feminine though and not easily thought of as an 'it.'

2 - I'm not so sure about the hair but her face is pretty and the posture is very interesting.

3 - I love the creature in the top right hand corner.

4 - Awww. The middle one is so cute!

5 - I'm not as fond on this one but the feathers are quite good and it will probably look better when you do a detailed drawing.

6 - She looks a little stiff, her head's at an odd angle and the forehead isn't quite right but the enlarged eye looks great and I like her outfit.

7 - I love the girls outfit and her expression is nice but she should be looking down more. Suppose I can't really critique this one seenas you've changed her appearance...

Overall, some very good sketches. Let me know if you do any finished versions.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 am
Joeducktape says...

The "lady" is fantastic. Beautifully done. The mouse-lizards and bird-things are also very cool.

Any coloring? Maybe? Possibly?

please?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:53 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Loved it, Kel! :)
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:38 am
Sponson Light says...

For the first colored piece, the one with the girl sitting there. Her neck is like... bent. backwards.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:32 pm
Saphira says...

I think all these are great. I think you need to add some colour but i can't find anything wrong with them. I love the 'Lady'. Very good!
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:17 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

I like the boots in the second one, but she looks a little stiff with her head bent back like that, and her legs are also a little stiff-looking. Maybe if you drew her on a surface, it would help.

I liked this, though, and the Lady was cool.

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:22 am
Lindsaroo says...

Woah these are really nice drawings.

You are a really good artist, Kel.

They're so profession looking.

^_^

Lots O' Luv,
Lindsay
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato