Young Writers Society

Perceptions of Vancouver

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:11 pm
Fabien says...

PERCEPTIONS OF VANCOUVER
capturing scenes of the city
(or rather walls of different buildings)
[can't forget the graffiti either]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"African Drum Shop"
By Fabien Belcourt, August 2006
Vancouver, BC, Canada
---
Squatter's Paradise"
Vancouver, BC, Canada
---

"Street Art Collective"
Vancouver, BC, Canada

---
Last edited by Fabien on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The surrounding world
was an ugly one,
but we needed no beauty
other than the light
within each other's eyes. - "Modern World" * topic15452

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:15 pm
Rydia says...

The first has to be my favourite, it's so vibrant and lively and yet I also love the second but can't explain why. Not as fond of the others but they're not bad. Keep up the good work.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:22 pm
Hermes says...

Agreed, the first is amazing. I love the lighting and how vibrant the graffiti looks. Same goes for the third. The flash in the corners is really cool.

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:25 am
whence says...

for some reason I love the second one. But yeah...your angles, and use of colors, and...general amazingness is just...amazing.

(three cheers for redundancy)
Last edited by whence on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:56 am
Via says...

I really love the first one! I like the second as well but it appears a little out of focus or maybe pixilated?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:20 pm
Myth says...

I'm not much of a graffitti fan but the first picture is just ... wow, really. The chimney sticks out a little, couldn't you edit that out?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:36 pm
stirly says...

I seriously need to find a way to get myself to Canada. Perhaps I shall become an illegal immigrant and sneak across the U.S/Canadian border....hmm.....

Anyway, the places are fascinating, but the pictures could use the elements and principals.

Random critiques:
Picture number one:
Again, amazing subject matter, but the picture as a whole is off balance. There isn't much you would be able to do to fix that when you were taking the picture, considering the angle, so all is well with this one.

Picture number two:
I like the way you used rhythm in this peice. The windows add quite a bit of interest. Still, like the first picture, it seems off balance. Should you ever be silly enough to retake the picture, I would suggest making sure that the picture is level with the building, you catch no sky, grass, or ground in the picture, and completely focus the peice on the building.

Picture number three:
If you have photoshop, I would recommend cropping out the sky. By contrast, it makes the subject matter seem dull and gray, and it distracts the eye from the amazing graffiti that covers the building. Same with the glare.

Anyway, you live in a friggin' amazing place. Vancouver is now on my top ten places that I simply must visit one of these days.
I feel the dire need to go buy tootsie rolls right now, and I can't really explain why.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm
Emerson says...

Awesome pictures as always!

Though, I really love your photographs with people more. These look actionless, but they do a good job at showing the beauty of Vancouver buildings ;-)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:55 pm
Poor Imp says...

You know where and how to look at something, Fab, photographically speaking. They look like stories; rather than the commonplace noun 'buildings'.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:40 pm
CK Lynn says...

I liked the first picture a lot. The other two didn't seem very unique.

This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.
— Winston Churchill