z

Young Writers Society

Adventures in Photography

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:44 am
Fand says...

So, went into D.C. with my little sister today for the Cherry Blossom Festival and a little wandering around museums. Now we're both sore and sunburned and exhausted--but I got some great photos out of it!

(My sister and an exhibit in the Hirshhorn Gallery)

(My sister again, in the Hirshhorn's Sculpture Garden)

(Hirshhorn Gallery)

(National Botanical Gardens)

(Cherry blossoms and mallard, Tidal Basin)

(Hirshhorn Gallery)

(National Botanical Gardens)

(A sculpture by Rodin in the Hirshhorn's Sculpture Garden)

(Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden)

(Roy Lichtenstein's "Brushstroke," installation outside the Hirshhorn)

(Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden)
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:33 am
Snoink says...

I have to say... the duckie picture is my favorite.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:02 am
Cassandra says...

Okay. So my favorite, I think, is the one from the National Botanical Gardens...it's such a cool angle, and it took me a minute to figure out what it was.

I also liked the angle you took the "Brushstroke" installation and the sculpture of the man at: it makes you really pause and look at the picture for a minute; it makes them that much more striking. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:32 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I would have to agree with Snoink; I like the duck/cherry blossoms the best. =)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:55 am
Meshugenah says...

Oh, Emmy! So pretty! I don't know much about photography, but it seems you have a knack for it. The perspectives are awesome and weird and it works. Especially the angles you have on the statues -- to be repetitive -- a new perspective on an old idea.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 pm
ibelieve_inme says...

I love the last one. It looks like a book cover. Or it could be the perfect illustration to a poem. In Any Case, it was enlightening. Thanks.
I open my mouth to sing, and you can see right through me.
I open my eyes to see, And I’m invisible
I look around me to take in my surroundings
And I disappear - And then the words begin...

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:49 pm
sabradan says...

same crit style as always. 1 on down.
1. I don't know about this one. The concept is pretty cool, but I just don't like it. Maybe its because its too dark (not enough light source) and even all the negative space is pretty dark too, or something else, but I just don't like it.
2. I felt the angle on this one could be better, as could the composition as a whole. I like how you have both your model (sister) and a sculpture as the main focus, but something just seems kind of...off. I kinda feel like you should have included more of the sculpture, but on a side angle rahter than head-on.
3. This is really cool looking and I like it. Perhaps the only thing I can think of is maybe perhaps next time have the entirety of the text in-frame?
4. This is a pretty cool composition, and I like how the space was well used, and you have good lighting (thank you!) and both good amounts of dark, medium and light, and its a cool subject for the pics. However, next time ROTATE THE PICTURE SO I DONT HAVE TO COCK MY HEAD 90 DEGREES TO BE SEEING CORRECTLY! Alright. /Rant.
5. Really good composition and use of light and space. Easily one of the best ones of this "roll".
6. I also really like this one a lot. However, something that I think would've made it even cooler is to have taken it with a slow shutter speed, thus making the people seem to be moving, while the building is stationary. You'll figure out what I mean.
7. I don't like this one at all. Sorry. I think the composition could have been a whole lot better, and parts of it were out of focus. When you do zooms like this, make sure your entire subject is in focus.
8. Its okay. I don't really have much to say for this one. I liked the composition, though.
9. Meh. Sorry for saying this, but this is probably one of the worst ones. I can't put my finger on it why, it just seems kind of rather blase and boring. You cna do much better.
10. Would have been better in black and white.
11. Same as 9.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:17 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

Hey your photography is good. Keep taking pictures! :D I love your black and white photos. You've got a knack for that too. ;)

~Yoyo
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:14 am
kirstybree says...

I adore the duck one! But all of them are beautiful! You a wonderful photographer!
"Look in the mirror and what do you see? A shallow reflection that means nothing to me"

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:22 am
Loose says...

These are really good photos, as you've been told.

But I think the one with the words on an angle was the best :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:19 pm
Rydia says...

1. The silhouette effect is nice and I love the blue colour but you should have concentrated either on the figure or the elephant. It's not as effective with both in the photo.

2. I like this one and this time, having your sister in the shot improved it. Also, the black and white is a nice touch.

3. You should have stepped back a touch or zoomed out so it didn't cut the beginnings of the words off but other than that, it's nice and it's a good quote.

4. I'm not as fond on this one. There's not anything of particular interest in the photo.

5. I think this would be beautiful in colour. As it is, it's pretty and it's interesting. Good focus too.

6. Now this one suits black and white. You have great lighting here.

7. I like the focus of this one and it's interesting to see a close up of a flower done in black and white. That's not used too often and here I think it's quite effective.

8. I'm not huge on sculptures and I think it would have been better if you did a close up of the face or something.

9. This one is cool. I love the background, it adds a nice touch of colour.

10. I don't really like this one. It's a bit plain.

11. This would have been better with a darker lighting but I suppose you can't control the sun. Again, I think the plant in the background adds a nice touch of colour.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:55 pm
Areida says...

These are all very nice, Fand. :)

But I think my favorites are the sculpture in the sculpture garden by Rodin and the last one are my favorites. They just appeal to me most out of all the others.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:33 am
Empress Kat says...

i love the first two. The other pictures of just sculptures don't really inspire me. I think the combination of a natural figure(that girl) and the sculpture looks awesome! I think that's more personal than anything though.

Photography is awesome! Never stop. That's an order from your empress! Muahaha

~Kat
Plan B is always "Die Trying."

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:56 am
spokenfor09 says...

Yup. its really good. i dont claim to know alot about the tynocal side of photogrophy. I myself prefor or at least do alot more of landscapes. Stuff like sunrises and sunsets and whut not. But these are really good. its shows that u have a excelent understanding of finding really cool angles and the black and white stuff is probly the best ive ever seen.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:54 am
gyrfalcon says...

The lines and cleanness of these pictures are amazing! I normally don't like black and white very much, but you handle it with a skill that makes it beautiful, somehow both realistic and fantastic at the same time. I should like to see the flower in color sometime, but your angles and choice of subjects are truly delightful.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina