z

Young Writers Society

Menagerie - character concepts

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:48 pm
Kel says...

I think it's G?

This is Rin and Ran. Rin is the one with the red hair. Ran has blonde. That was their brother, Mir, but I changed the story and he won't be turned into anything anymore. I might have to change my title! BUt that's not important.

They're triplets. :) Please let me know what you think of them.

With the Scepter of Heaven weilded by Rin, and the Sword of Judgement weilded by Ran, the twins must embark on an epic journey, full of adventure, peril and possibly love.

Ran wears the Armor of the Leaves, with the Cloak of the Blue Sky. Rin wears the Gown of the Forest. I added embellishments at my leisure. It looked too plain. The Armor of the Leaves allows Ran to move swiftly, dodging most blows a little easier, though she still needs skill to use it. Rin's gown lets her blend into her surroundings, as long as they're natural. The Cloak of the Blue Sky lets Ran fly for a limited distance, and only so often every day.

I wanted the girls to look the same in the face, but different in hair. Too often are they both red-haired twins. So I made Rin red-haired, though she's the more level-headed, and Ran is blonde. I don't often make blondes. I like their eyes a lot and wanted to keep the theme with the jewels scattered all over them. I also wanted to keep the Sword of Judgement and the Scepter of Heaven pretty close in color schemes, hence the pink blade. I likes it.
Attachments
923-2.jpg
923-2.jpg (207.91 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Last edited by Kel on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:32 pm
Areida says...

Those are so neat, Kel!

I especially like the bottom half of the girl's dress. That's very well done. :)
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

46 Reviews

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Kel says...

Thank you very much, Areida. :D A lot of people like the twining of the hair. :)

I like their eyes. I need to do up another of the triplets all together, instead of this out-dated thing.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:23 am
Jennafina says...

You are absolutely wonderful at drawing folds in fabric! *colapses with jealousy*

I really like their costumes, too. Very creative.

I hope I'm not sounding rude when I say this, but they don't look very smart. :P They look a little dazed. But it's super cute, and as long as you don't mind, that's great! I just wouldn't trust the blond not to take my eye out with that sword.

I like the hair, particularly Rin's. Did you know Rin means "cold" in Japanese? Also, the composition is neat, how the hair and skirts frame the unicorn.

They look a little like anime chibis, and have the same effect on me, being that I want to scoop them up and hug them! I hope you post more of your artwork.

By the way, welcome to YWs! :)
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:23 am
Fireweed says...

They're very cute, and you have a unique style.:)

Your story sounds interesting as well. perhaps I'll check it out...
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:31 am
Myth says...

I love the green dress and how the red hair looks 'flaming'.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

46 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:39 am
Kel says...

Thank you all! I'm sorry I didn't notice this earlier. It didn't say there were new posts and I didn't bother to look anyway! I will next time.

Myth, Thank you so much! I'm a fan of red hair on girls.

Fireweed: Thanks! The eyes are my favorite to do.

Jennafina: I was going more for cute than anything, so it's all good! They do look dazed, but that's the idea. It's supposed to be more like an illustration for a kids' book than anything else, since that was the style I was doing at the time. I'm trying to do them in a more adult version, but there's nothing really concrete.

I actually learned how to do folds from my husband! So I'll pass that on to him. :) Ran means "water lily" which is also a symbol for purity in Japan! Isn't that funny? Their names should be switched, but it's just too perfect.

I have a few circular pictures like this. From start to finish, they take about four or five hours a piece!

I'll post more art from Menagerie. Character concepts and things.

46 Reviews

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:33 am
Kel says...

First ever centaur. So many things wrong with it, but it's okay for a first (second) try.

It's a boy. Er. As you can tell. Hm.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 am
deleted6 says...

These are great problem with Centaur is his arms are too hairy but otherwise great love the first one better.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:17 pm
Firestarter says...

I actually really like that centaur. I can imagine how hard they are to draw.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:10 pm
Myth says...

That is great work on the centaur! *envies*
.: ₪ :.

'...'

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 pm
Pivot_Master says...

Nice i like how you stroked lighter on the lower parts of the centaur Bravo!

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:01 pm
Sponson Light says...

You want him to look indistinguisably male?
Broader shoulders, less slender arms, a chest.
Ridgid face...

right now, hes built like a woman, no offense.

Nice job on the general centaur form though. I quite like the hoof.

Err, I think the ear is too far up on the head.

On the first picture, no feet? Because you tried to hide the feet with the cloak, it seems that the feet disappeared altogether (blond one). If there were feet there the cloak would conform around the shape and you should still see something.

But quite honestly, your folds are very nice to look at. Well drawn.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

46 Reviews

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:58 am
Kel says...

Thanks, everyone! I wanted his arms to be really hairy because that's just ... how I felt like drawing it. At the time. Because his hooves are hairy, so his arms are, too? Something like that.

I know he looks very feminine. I have a really hard time with drawing boys! I'm better with references, but he didn't have any except for the horse part. I put the ear there to make it halfway between a horse's place and a human's place.

On the first picture, I didn't want feet.

I don't want Violan's (centaur) face too rigid. He's younger, and still has some gentle curves to his facial features. I will totally work on the man part, though. that's the hardest. :(

thanks about the folds!

The horse part actually used to be skinnier, and I neglected to change the width and general build of the man part to compensate for it. That screwed it up, too!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:45 pm
Rydia says...

The triplets are great and I think they're both very cute and pretty. The weapons are cool and I love how you've drawn their outfits; very good. I think the shading needs a little work because it's rather 'blocky' if you know what I mean but they're really good.

The centaur is good and I could tell it was a boy so well done with that. When you can make a long haired, pretty boy still resemble a boy you really do deserve a congratulations. I would like a bit of colour though and the front leg is a bit thinner than the others so you might want to consider correcting that.

Altogether some great drawings!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe