z

Young Writers Society

Railroad Crossing Photograph

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:32 pm
BigBadBear says...

Here's a picture I took of a railway crossing close by where I live.

Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:27 pm
Sohini says...

A nice shot but I wish it were bigger...the details don't show now...
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:42 pm
Clo says...

Hey BBB!

I really think the size of this does detract from it - I do wish it were a little big better so maybe I could get a different look at it. It's always weird looking at smaller images, just as it's really weird looking at extremely large images. You need it juuuust right...

Other than that, it is a very nice picture. I like the contrasting of colors of the dull and orange-ish grass with the green and weird blue of the sky. One thing compositionally bothers me - the half of that pole that you can see on the right side of the picture. I wish it was cropped out or something, because I found my eye drawn to it, it sort of boxes you in.

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:32 am
Juniper says...

Hey there!

I'm not going to give you photographic criticism, because-- okay just kidding.

I loved this! So much so that i did something i rarely do; i resized it for you :D.

I assume this was taken on a cell phone maybe? The colors were absolutely brilliant! And I'm assuming you took this in a moving vehicle▬ if you didn't I'll have to lecture you about stopping/standing so near the tracks▬ but if you did good job! I love it!

Oh and, it strangely looks more like a painting than a picture! I like that!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:28 pm
Angel of Death says...

It looks like someone took out a paintbrush! But a nice pic and the mountains are extremely beautiful. I kinda thought of Misery when I saw this picture. Watch out BBB, there might be some fan ready to get you... :shock:

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm
1dering at stars says...

Wow that really is beautiful. Very autumnal... It looks a lot like where I live.
I actually think I like the smaller version... It seems clearer, and in the larger one it looks like some of the color was lost...
But both are breathtaking. :D
Of course it's happening in your mind, but why on earth should that mean it isn't real?

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:32 am
mizz-iceberg says...

*GASPS* You live in such a pretty place! I love the mountains in the back.
The quality isn't that good though. It's a tad blurry. Still, that doesn't take too much away from the picture.

On second thought, it looks like a painting on a canvas. Lovely colours.

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:14 am
lukas8u says...

It's really nice. If you have a chance to go back there, take a larger shot.
Other then that, great.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:02 am
Mutant says...

What beautiful color contrast. It seems to perfectly capture the essence of this place. You can see how lived-in the area is, but the natural beauty of it isn't claimed by civilization. I love it.
And then there's the train tracks going into the distance... You live in a beautiful area. I love the mountains, but even more eye-catching is what looks like a little town in the distance. Great shot, but I agree- try to get a bigger one.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:52 pm
Someguy says...

I love the amount of color that is in the photograph. Really gets you exited and so forth. I love the mountains in the background. Gives you that feeling of where it was taken. The railroad going into the distance is nice. The sign with the X in it really brings your attention.
All in all it is a nice photo, though I think you could've shown "more" if you know what I mean. It is very confusing with all the details and I'm not saying it is bad, I just get the feeling that everything is thrown together. But it's still a good photo. :wink:
Look at my big shiny shell...

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing