z

Young Writers Society

The Cocktail Challenge (Novelists only)

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon May 28, 2012 2:46 am
psudiname says...

Have you ever started writing a novel and had several reviews on chapter one two and three, but zero on chapters four through ten? If you've posted a novel on YWS I'd be willing to bet you have! That's why my friend and I invented a cool game for novelists to play. The first two rules are as follows:

1) you must pair off with another novelist who is also playing before you start writing your novel.

2) finally, you must review your partner's chapters as they post them. if you wait longer than a week before reviewing a chapter, stop reviewing their chapters altogether, or can't finish your own novel, you lose.

Here are the advanced rules, to be added to the initial two for someone looking for more of a challenge:

3) you must agree to give it the same title. (to avoid confusion, if I wrote a novel called "Dust", I would name it "Psudiname's Dust", and my parter would name hers "Partner's Dust")

4) you must agree on an even number of main characters, and then one of you will name half of them, and the other will name the other half. both partners must use those names in their novel.

The simple version is great if you just want reviews for your chapters ten and eleven, but if you want to see a really cool social experiment, the advanced verson can be fun too.

If you want to participate, post in the comments below whether you want to do the simple version or the advanced version, and then the next person who comments can pair up with you, friend you, and PM you for the details if they want to play that version. have fun!
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm
octopi says...

I'm going to be writing a novel in june, july, and august for camp nanowrimo (I'm cheating and using the whole summer xD) and it might be cool to do the simple version with somebody during that time. although I might have trouble posting every single week with a new chapter, for a couple reasons that I don't want to get into right now. maybe every two weeks?
anyway, not sure if I'm doing this yet, but it sounds really interesting :)
that awkward moment when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopi.

formerly camboftw

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus