z

Young Writers Society

Impression in a Sentence

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:11 am
Poor Imp says...

This was an activity posted on TSR, interim between YWS down and back up.

Simply, haven't you all read a book, short story, interview and found the writer managed - in one sentence - to give a vivid impression of a character? In one sentence - there it is.

For example: "She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark." --JRR Tolkien, of Galadriel

Or, to start out, something I wrote --"Stiffened, the captain’s pensivity became conscious, a sudden weary, startled shadow hanging over his features; he watched the horizon, back to the fading calls, threading shanties."

Rule is, you write one/post one; and if you like, comment on the one before.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:51 am
Niamh says...

"He embodied the Irish spirit, clever and resilient, and enduringly warm." --A Description of Faolàn from my story, 1649.

I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings, (I used to be) but Tolkien's style of writing is so beautiful, and has definitely become an inspiration in the way I write. That description of Galadriel is perfect.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:18 am
Fand says...

^It's quite good, but I feel like you were more listing characteristics than showing them.

She placed one hand on the sleeping dragon's face, amazed that her heart was racing not because of her proximity to the beast, but because soon she would have to return to the city, and abandon him to his mountains again. --written of Hallah, a character from my new project The Belem Cycle, inspired by the Fool's Duel challenge.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

The world is your oyster. Well, it’s my oyster, but you can have some of it.
— Feltrix