Young Writers Society

Writing Prompts

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:33 am
View Likes
Cassie143 says...

need a bit of a boost with your creativity
Then why don’t you try some of these writing prompts there sure to help you get warmed up
:D

Writing prompt 1-

Close your eyes briefly. Think of one object that’s in the room and focus on it. Without opening your eyes, recall as much detail as you can about it. After 3 minutes or so, open your eyes and write about the object without looking at it.

Writing prompt 2-

A picture is worth more than a blank page. Take out those dusty old photo albums. Pick out photo #14. Count however way you like, but make sure you stop at #14. Look at the photo for 2-3 minutes. Then for 10 minutes, write down all the feelings that the photograph made you feel. Don’t censor yourself. Just write

Writing prompt 3-

You wake up, go to the bathroom and look in the mirror. A different face stares back at you -Begin your story here-

Writing prompt 4-
Fairy tales have happy endings. All of us know what happened in that mushy fairy tale, Cinderella. Yeah, it romantic, the prince actually finds Cinderella. They live happily ever after. But happy endings can sometimes be, well…boring. No zing. So predictable. So…happy. What if the shoe fit one of the step sisters? What happens then? Play with your imagination here. Be funny if you like or serious if you feel like it. What ever you are into, write your ending to the Cinderella story – but this time, make it so that the shoe fit one of the icky sisters. What does prince charming do? How does Cinderella cope with it? And what about the fairy godmother?

Writing prompt 5-

Start a short story, or poem of any kind with this: “she touched the little box in her pocket and smiled”

Remember to think outside the box. Try to base your writing piece on the first thing that comes to mind, but try to stay clear of clichés!!

So I’ve given you 5 writing prompts
Try as many as you wish and if you want some more just let me know
Last edited by Cassie143 on Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
but paradise is locked and bolted...
we must make a journey around the world
to see if a back door has perhaps been left open.

Heinrigh Von Kleist, 'On the Puppet Theater'

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:48 am
WritersUnleashed says...

Here is one I like to do
Go to a random number generator(or code one)
Put in one from 1-*last dictionary page*
Take the random number and go to that page.
Spin the book around with your eyes closed, and with you still closed, put your hand down randomly.
Write a poem, story, etc. about what word you landed on.
I got Lamp....interesting.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 pm
Audrey says...

Yes. :) These are good prompts. You can find them, as well as many others at creativewritingprompts.com
"I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar
I've never made a bet, but we gamble in desire
I've never lit a match with intent to start a fire,
But recently the flames are getting out of control"

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World