z

Young Writers Society

Make Up Poor Names For Characters

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon May 26, 2014 8:46 pm
GoldFlame says...

Anything food: Almond, Banana, Basil, Bean, Cherry, Cinnamon, Ginger, Kale, Pepper.

Anything plant: Fern, Hyacinth, Pansy, Petunia, Poppy.

I beg of you.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon May 26, 2014 8:53 pm
CesareBorgia says...

Duke Wellingotn
Cesare
Proud Writer of the Week judge

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon May 26, 2014 9:28 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

@GoldFlame - I actually really like the name Poppy; I've seen it as a nickname for Penelope or Philomena.

I think it's easy to make up random ridiculous names. Like Snotty McCheese? Yeah, that's bad. But it isn't believable. Horrible names that could actually be real names are the winners, in my opinion.

Sabbath Milkweed
Hagar Hockerly
Solly Kebgee
Wren Giebert
Damien Kiddlesteebs
Talulah Seabarge
Gretchen Barkworth
Blakey Midkitch
Jeebs Bluegray
Harley Backlard
Francis Cow
Gilchrist Jekson
Bubby Tarwater
Catcher Paybie
Gina Litter
Clea Chesapeake
Stasia Budgies

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon May 26, 2014 11:11 pm
Holysocks says...

Doug the archeologist... I laughed so hard!
100% autistic

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue May 27, 2014 5:25 am
Iggy says...

My mom hates Renesmee. Just throwing that out there. c:
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Random avatar

Tue May 27, 2014 1:19 pm
Cole says...

Iggy wrote:My mom hates Renesmee. Just throwing that out there. c:

Good thing, too, because that name is awful.

Random avatar

Tue May 27, 2014 4:27 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Some of my least favorite names are names that regularly show up in Young Adult literature: Cassie, Damien/Damon/Damen, Dimitri, Anastasia, Anna, Evelyn, Rose, Elena, Wren, Eden, Violet, Roman, Raven, Alex, Jace, Varen, Alec, Claire, Jayden/Kayden/Brayden, Isabel, Ever, Christian, Adrian, Mason, Aria, Daniel... the list goes on.

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Wed May 28, 2014 5:31 am
Morrigan says...

For a beautiful female character:

Grace Beauregard

This is my grandmother's actual name, but it would be horrible for a nature-y type character:

Holly Rose Cherry
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 am
Niraco says...

I've seen a few characters with the name Hunter or some weird spelling of it.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed May 28, 2014 6:37 pm
Spotswood says...

You can get away with basically any name, in theory, although I would suggest avoiding boring names like John Smith or Bob Turner unless, of course, they are supposed to be intentionally boring characters in a comical sense.

Also never have two major characters whose names start with the same letter. Again, unless if they are supposed to be a comedic duo, never name one character Jake and another major one Jack. It can get confusing. Something you can NEVER get away with though is naming one character William and another one Wilfred. Also you must stay consistant in terms of how you adress the character in your narrative. For instance if the captain of the ship's name is Horatio Aubrey, don't adress him as "the captain" in one sentence, "Horatio" in another, "and Aubrey" in the next. It can be confusing and annoying. Other characters can call him this in context within dialogue, just as I, in real life, would call my father "Dad" my mother would call him "honey" and his friends would call him "Jeff". An example would be in "A Game of Thrones". Martin always adresses Eddard Stark as "Eddard", but everyone just calls him Ned in the dialogue. In the narrative, he is always called Eddard, but he is reffered to as both in the dialogue.

Also, when naming your major characters try to make sure each name has different syllables, as it makes it more easy to follow. Even if you have two J names, it makes it easy to remember if one character's name is Jake and the other one's is Jackson. Better yet, if you have another character named Stan and another named Jackson (which is still a bit better than having two J names), you would not want to adress Stan as Stanley or Stanford, as the syllables are the same as in Jackson. Initially it could subconciously confuse the reader.

Again, as long as you are consistant.

Here are the first names I can think of.

Bob
Duke
Tammy
Mark
Jesus
Moses
any non-obscure biblical name (some exceptions)
Wordsworth the Butler
Mr. Brown
almost every one syllable word
Last edited by Spotswood on Wed May 28, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

Random avatar

Wed May 28, 2014 6:45 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

@Spotswood

For instance if the captain of the ship's name is Horatio Aubrey, don't adress him as "the captain" in one sentence, "Horatio" in another, "and Aubrey" in the next. It can be confusing and annoying.

Never read Crime and Punishment, then. xD

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed May 28, 2014 6:46 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

Cole wrote:
Never read Crime and Punishment, then. xD

Russian novels don't count.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Fri May 30, 2014 3:50 pm
View Likes
budding writer says...

Two names I thought I thought were really weird and like seriously who gives these sort of names! xD!

Blue Ivy and Cobalt spruce

Like seriously??

I would never name my characters like these!
## My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations ##

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:19 am
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Two that really start getting on my nerves...

Damien and Cain

Yes, your character may be a complete rebel and be the bane of your MC but for Pete's sake DON'T call them one of these... They're so clichéd now
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:27 pm
niteowl says...

@budding writer

Has Cobalt Spruce ever actually been used (like Blue Ivy has)?

I actually think that would be an awesome name if I were parodying the "ridiculous celebrity baby name" trend.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes