z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:40 pm
Zolen says...

6/10 Nobody knows why, but I am scared of air bags, so it works perfectly to set the mood of dramatics, but perhaps not for everyone.

"To be born again in these broken hills, lost to their fates the children tried to run, away from the cycle that drew them ever in."
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:19 pm
misstoria says...

9/10 I’ve heard it said that the grass is never greener on the other side, but I beg to differ.
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:05 pm
Segreto says...

8/10 It gives a new twist to that old saying =P

"But nothing will ever scare me as does the view of this tarnished beauty, nothing like this tower without life, nothing like this would without light."
Cats will take over the world! Run, save yourselves!

Reviews: 3
Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:19 am
CarnivorousMoogle says...

6/10; it's poetic and I like it, but it's a little unwieldy and it feels like a mid-paragraph sentence in the wrong place (the dreaded But Opener strikes again!) Again, though, it's nice.

"The first thing Ihaka knew was the Sound."

(probably not the most original opener ever, but I wrote the first draft of this chapter more than a year ago and I felt like changing it would throw the rest of the chapter off, so there it is)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:13 am
horrendous says...

oh that's good, i like how Sound is proper, it intrigues me and makes me want to learn about it.

9/10

i wrote this for my short story nemesis but scrapped it.

In retrospect, he realized that the perfect storm of tragedy and circumstance had culminated in the final showdown with his nemesis.
hor·ren·dous
adjective: shockingly dreadful; horrible
synonyms: appalling, frightful, hideous

--

Life is like a box of chocolates. Too much will make you sick.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:51 pm
rawrafied says...

I like the combination of 'tragedy' and 'circumstance' being 'the perfect storm' in 'culmination'. I also like that not only you start off with a 'showdown with his nemesis', but that it's also their 'final'. So, there's history here that piques interest. However, 'in retrospect, he realized that' seems like an odd started for me and doesn't seem to add more than any of the other words do. I see the attempt to bring some of the character's wit into the line, but it doesn't seem to work effectively as is.

Grade: 7.5/10.

It had been brought to her attention, at least once by anyone who caught her in private conversation, that Peter Talwin was a man of admirable charm and upbringing that should not be forsaken.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 pm
lostthought says...

9/10 for certain reasons

I look around to see the mist rolling in, making it hard to see the bloodied demon that has followed me without my knowledge.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:36 pm
Zolen says...

7/10

Eh, okay. I vote its a tad over the top.

The town was coated every which way in mist, every bronzed pipe hissing and wheezing, every roof top wet with a fine layer of fog; it was a city of steam, powered by the invents of a mad old grandpa.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 pm
Rosendorn says...

6/10

Too long and repetitive for me.

-
This wasn’t how a Promised life was supposed to begin.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:32 pm
ketr3n says...

5/10 I wish there was more action.

"It was me who cut the cheese, alright!"

1272 Reviews

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

Around a 6. If the next line is amazing, an 8. If the next line doesn't immediately answer the question "why is admitting you cut the cheese so important it's the opening line?" then it'll drop down to a 4.

--

People call me Jasmine Ghost.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:05 pm
Holysocks says...

7/10 I actually quite like that line... but normally opening with someone telling me their name... well, it just isn't all that interesting- however; it's said so 'matter a factly' that it makes you wonder how it's relevant.

Erm, here's mine...

There's something terribly wrong with dying in a hospital.
100% autistic

1272 Reviews

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm
Rosendorn says...

3/10

This line needs a blurb to say what the context is, because considering how many terminally ill and elderly patients die in a hospital, this line just doesn't hit me.

--

This wasn’t how a Promised life was supposed to begin.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 pm
TiffanyToy says...

Interesting foreshadowing!! 6.5

I am actually going to put my first few lines....sorry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------All I could do was stare at the stony, death - ridden features of the woman's macabre looking face. The most terrifying thing about it? The thing that made me turn my head the other way in total disgust? The most truly gruesome fact about these features? These death - ridden, stony features… they were my own.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 pm
Vervain says...

I'm going to say 4/10 for the whole thing. It's cliche -- I've seen it before -- and the sentences are too long and not interesting enough from first sight to catch me. The rhetorical questions don't really grab the reader, and you'd probably do better to scrap them. Your repetition is bad to the point of redundancy.

----

The stranger lurched in at half-past eight.
stay off the faerie paths

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.