z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:21 pm
Firepower13 says...

7/10. It's intriguing- I would definitely read more just to find out about this person- but it's definitely been done lots and lots of times.

---

When I finally managed to pry my eyes open, the first thing I saw was concrete.
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Don't you have other things to do? Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 pm
CuriosityCat says...

Hum. I'd say an 8.2/10
It's intriguing and I want to read more definitely. But it's a little bit cliche. I mean, waking up groggily to find "fill-in-the-blank" sitting in front of your eyes... Anyway, it's been written before. Bonus 2 points if the next sentence is good, though. :D

It starts with a simple, almost inaudible, trilling of notes.
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:31 pm
Rosendorn says...

3/10. You'd need a very good second sentence to really pull that through, and I'm not saying it doesn't work period as a first line. I'm saying you absolutely positively need a paragraph introduction with this in order to build suspense.

--

I wondered if this is how souls felt, waiting for judgment after death.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

209 Reviews

Reviews: 209
Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:16 am
artemis15sc says...

8/10

It's cool and intriguing, and it does make me want to read more, but these philosophical, questioning beginnings don't bring us into the conflict or the character's head as much as we think they do. They sort of exist on their own.

Despite what everyone says, I didn't mean to blow up her presents.
Check out my newly published YA fantasy novel here!

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/SaraETall

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:57 pm
Vervain says...

6.5/10. I'm intrigued enough to keep reading, but not intrigued enough to care overly much about what I'm reading. I was hovering between a 6 -- because of the vagueness and the overly informal feeling -- and a 7 -- because of the early establishment of tone and the little bit of a hook we get on the action.

---

“Lucielle, pay attention when your mother is talking.”
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

3/10. Needs a paragraph introduction, but even then my first instinct is a YA that opens up with a female main character who is once again in a bad home life. I see these beginnings a lot, unfortunately.

---

This wasn't how a Promised life was supposed to begin.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:22 pm
Auxiira says...

7/10 A little vague, not too much action unless the next line positively explodes, but I'm still asking for more.

--

Silent fingers fluttered over rough bark, feeling desperately for the end of the path.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 am
bluewaterlily says...

7/10 Especially like the use of the verb "fluttered" to describe the action of the fingers. Though silent is a strange word choice, I feel. But definitely interesting and implies an air of suspense.

--

The owl was waiting for me.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:10 am
Pretzelstick says...

I think that that sentence is mysterious and mystical and magical. I would definitely want to read more.

Corinne was standing in line at the bank, waiting patiently for her turn.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
LittleFox says...

5/10

It's a little boring for the opening line of a novel. There's nothing that really grasps the reader. But for all I know maybe the second sentence is what reveals something to catch the reader.

-

"The small blade fell from Rahim's trembling hand with a clatter, though he barely noticed the sound."
"What's 'taters, Precious?"

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:26 am
Satira says...

7/10
I like the atmosphere you created in the single sentence, but it sounds like you're trying too hard, for some reason.

He bent down to scoop some pine needles from the dirt floor and tucked them into the heart of the pyramid.
"if only, if only,"
the woodpecker sighed,
"the bark on the trees
were as soft as the skies."

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 am
Mea says...

7/10. I quite like this. It isn't showy, it reads like it's supposed to be a perfectly ordinary sentence, but the ambiguity of "pyramid" makes it intriguing.

I flickered into life on the end of a match.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1272 Reviews

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:32 am
Rosendorn says...

7/10. I kind of want to give it higher, but it's a little awkward with "into" and my main curiosity is "what type of story can you write about fire", so if you play your second line wrong then I'll get pretty bored.

--

People call me Jasmine Ghost

Reviews: 2
Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:09 am
TheArchon says...

7/10 I like that you didn't say Jasmine the Ghost. This could turn into a pretty interesting story. Don't worry, I won't steal your idea XD

I blinked to see the smile my friend Jacob makes whenever he thinks something is funny and know that, in all my daydreaming, I must have dozed off again.
Last edited by TheArchon on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:22 am
Vervain says...

4/10 -- it's okay, but it doesn't catch my attention. The action in the sentence doesn't occur until the end, and it makes me think this sentence was plucked out of the middle of the paragraph instead. It needs prelude, or it needs to be cut down.

---

Sai Thi's air stank.
stay off the faerie paths

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara