z

Young Writers Society

automatic writing meditation

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:38 am
Galatea says...

Sit comfortably in a quiet, dark room. Light a light-coloured candle (white is prefered, but pink or pale blue work as well). If you wish, you can have soft, meditative, lyricless music in the background. Before you place a notebook and hold in hand the utensil you use most often when you write. Place the pen as if to start writing at the top of the page, then close your eyes and clear your mind. Allow the pen to drift into a line, or scribbles, or whatever feels natural. Don't think too much about what you're doing. Allow the words to come naturally, try not to force thought or force writing. After practicing this skill regularly, you'll come up with some really neat things. Ocassionally, the writing gets a little creepy, since you spend a great deal writing from your subconcious. But it's good for freeing your mind and relaxation.

Enjoy!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:51 pm
mim says...

is this also called preassociation writing? I've being trying to find out how to do this for ages.... thanx!! mim x
*likle mim*

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:47 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Just tried this and it was fun! Seven creepy unreadable pages of uncensored fun!

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:30 pm
Crysi says...

Hmm.. I might hafta do it without the candle. My parents don't trust me around fire anymore.. :twisted:

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:13 pm
View Likes
Galatea says...

I used to do this all the time when I was younger, without even knowing what I was doing. I have whole notebooks filled with illegible genius yet to be decipered. My poem 'pips song' came from one of these exercises. I thought I'd share with you the automatic writing part of it. If you want the poem that resulted, read it ^_^ (I think it's posted in 'other').

and the womb of the world opened up and springing forth my life i rose dripping from this birthplace and opened my eyes to the world before i was thrust into i cry comfort hoping the arms that now hold me will not cease to be alone now in a universe void of the love i seek there is no place for me here wings of three they fly toward me in a rush of vindictive anger i know not why they have come or why they are called when on of my sex is scorned wax falls drip drop from the back of my skull like Hamm’s heart bleeding there i am sisyphus listen can you hear there is a wind blowing to tear the universe at the seams i can hear them in the distance calling for their sacrifice and i this sacred child and child not this man must die for the girl i am i was am not none of this is real and yet real beyond imagining LET ME OUT paint splatter wound patter on canvas i saw all and saw none catching faeries crying furies holding magics intangible in my childs girls womans hand this is how the world will end i whimper in the darkness of my own existence hold my hand mother father i am scared roaming the world seeking new life each night child of neverland take my hand resurrect and free me i will live forever
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:38 am
View Likes
Zion says...

Like, wow! :shock:
I think I tryed it once, but I can't seem to really open my mind. I can't write something I don't thik about. weird
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

594 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:41 am
Crysi says...

That's really powerful.

I should try it tonight.. I have nothing else to do lol. Good thing my notebook has dividers.. So I won't accidentally write on my story lol!

594 Reviews

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:35 am
Crysi says...

Wow. I don't know if I was doing it right.. but I wasn't forcing words out. They just came and I wrote them without thinking.. Here are the two things I wrote. I'm sure I would have continued further, but I can't seem to write straight lol!

"[Illegible word.. looks almost like 'surrender'] If I were to scream, how would it feel? If I closed my eyes and thought of you, would I die? What would I feel if you touched me? held me? loved me? Would I care? Would I scream? How would I live?"

"The water rises above me and I choke, trying to escape. But your love engulfed me, driving me to the depths of my insanity misery darkness I cry out for you and reach cold walls of despair No one is here now and I drown in my mind"

Those kinda freak me out.. They bring back really bad memories of depression, and.. they just freak me out. Especially because I was in a really good, happy mood.. I might try it again sometime and see what comes up.. :?

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:32 am
Elelel says...

Must try this! I do freewriting, which has the same kind of effect, but not that powerful straight off. Of course the candle is no problem for the mighty firebird!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:56 pm
Sam says...

I would try this but I'm exactly the opposite...I write best when I'm sitting in my crazy, chaotic house with the radio blasting out '1985' and me singing along...quiet, lyricless music wouldn't work! lol I might try anyway later, just to see though.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:44 pm
View Likes
Ravenna says...

"[Illegible word.. looks almost like 'surrender'] If I were to scream, how would it feel? If I closed my eyes and thought of you, would I die? What would I feel if you touched me? held me? loved me? Would I care? Would I scream? How would I live?"

"The water rises above me and I choke, trying to escape. But your love engulfed me, driving me to the depths of my insanity misery darkness I cry out for you and reach cold walls of despair No one is here now and I drown in my mind"

Crysi: That sounds Evanescenc-y. (something someone said about one of my poems and I like the word) Really it does. You should send it as like, lyrics for one of their songs or something.
From falcon's wings thou cometh forth; to streams of fire, bringeth thee.
~Tul rhofal amruun;sarin naur siiir, tegi lyaa.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:19 am
View Likes
nickelpickle says...

one problem... i cant read a word of what I wrote...I have two pages front and back and cant read a word!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue May 31, 2005 1:02 pm
Fool says...

This meditation is something i've heard about but dont actually use, i find writing on paper difficult, my handwriting is awful and the words often dont come, i'll give this one a go though, the way i normaly do it is to sit in a quiet place, and imagine myself walking down a long white corridor, there is only one door at the end, and behind that door is a place where you can totaly relax, woods, home, bed, it can be anything, and you just clear your mind, and wait for the thoughts to come, the first time i tried it, i could not really get hold of the words, but they come easier now. It's just odd words that come to you, for instance, and this is creepy, the last time i used this, i came up with three words, "The Brown Fate" as a title of a novel that i have not written yet, and that night, i had a dream and saw the characters. I'm still working on the plot, but it looks good so far. I'll try this other meditation thing and see how it goes.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet